Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Bar coming...

Pages: 1 24 replies

I picked up a copy of the Houston Press and there is a ad for a place called "Tiki Tiki-Houston incarnation of the new TIKI renaissance-COMING SOON"
The listed number for it is 281-497-9200 and the address ids gonna be 626 highway 6 (just north of I-10)
I showed my g/f and she noted that it looks like we may have a new hangout as it's real close to her house....
I just caught the Monster House episode about the Tiki house and was floored at how cool it was...
my own expiditions have been coming up short of late but I have not been as dedicated to it as I should be either...My mullet hunting safari's have been much more successful (This IS Texas ya know)
A.H.

Beware the redneck. Strutting proudly with his exquisite plumage. Do not taunt nor tease this eternally angry creature. Only view from afar for this being has something you don't....MULLETTUDE!!!!!!!
FEAR THE MULLETT!!!!!!!!!!

On 2004-02-18 09:08, diesel tiki wrote:
Beware the redneck. Strutting proudly with his exquisite plumage. Do not taunt nor tease this eternally angry creature. Only view from afar for this being has something you don't....MULLETTUDE!!!!!!!

I guess white folks are open game, but could you imagine a statement like this with any other race inserted where "redneck" is?

I guess white folks are open game, but could you imagine a statement like this with any other race inserted where "redneck" is?

Let's give it a try:

1."Beware the LATITUDINARIAN. Strutting proudly with his exquisite plumage. Do not taunt nor tease this eternally angry creature. Only view from afar for this being has something you don't....LATITUDE!!!!!!!!!!

Fear the LATITUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

2."Beware the POOSSLQ! Strutting proudly with his exquisite plumage. Do not taunt nor tease this eternally angry creature. Only view from afar for this being has something you don't....POOSSLQ!!!!!!!!!!

Fear the POOSSLQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

3."Beware the SCYTHIAN! Strutting proudly with his exquisite plumage. Do not taunt nor tease this eternally angry creature. Only view from afar for this being has something you don't....SCYTHIANNESS!!!!!!!!!!

Fear the SCYTHIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well...Since I was a long time mullet wearer (1985-2002) I'm allowed to engage in this kind of activity in good fun...I do get infuriated at the folks who are elitist in their thinking about folks who have mullets,like Journey/Styx and that kind of thing and have the nerve to let terms like "white trash" fly
A.H.

Psycho Beach party...dig it!

[ Edited by: AlmostHuman on 2004-02-19 13:40 ]

Here's Mau Mau's January post about the bar:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7320&forum=1&vpost=71435

(I missed the post the first time, but found it, to be honest, when I did an egomaniacal "search" on my own name, and there it was!!)

(And no, I will not be doing a topless hula on the bar. The opening night.)

All I know is that it is supposedly by the same folks who have The Davenport (Richmond Ave at Kirby or Shepherd), which is my FAVE martini bar (took Stentiki there on his Houston visit). They did The Davenport beautifully, with a heady selection of rums, and often there is exotica music on the sound system. This gives me hope.

The fact that it will be located in Bumfck, Egypt (sorry A.H.) gives me great fear. I have a re-curring nightmare of the place being filled with waaay-outside-the-loop types in wife-beaters, yelling "What's all this easy-listening sht [Martin Denny]! More Buffet, man!", or worse, "SKYNNAAAAARD!!"

BUT-
My promise:
When it opens, I will go immediately and try my best to make it truly tiki - WILL it to be tiki! I will not automatically poo-pooh for its location, nor write it off immediately. I will become part of the solution, not part of the problem. I will . . .

I will go home and make a cocktail right now, thank you.

On 2004-02-19 10:53, Atomic Cocktail wrote:

Fear the SCYTHIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And so you should they were the mightiest nomadic horsemen 2500 years ago, kick ass gold workers and their fighting women were the models for the amazons.
Yup their my all time steppes riding nomads.

On 2004-02-19 16:09, Formikahini wrote:
The fact that it will be located in Bumfck, Egypt (sorry A.H.) gives me great fear. I have a re-curring nightmare of the place being filled with waaay-outside-the-loop types in wife-beaters, yelling "What's all this easy-listening sht [Martin Denny]! More Buffet, man!", or worse, "SKYNNAAAAARD!!"

Whenever I'm out at a bar I always try to yell Freebird or Skynard! between sets so the band will feel at home if no one else yells it. It's not that I have anything against Skynard or that I want to hear Freebird, it's just a thing I feel compelled to do to keep a sense of order in the universe. Since most of the local musicians are in my circle of friends this is usually appreciated or forgiven, thankfully.
By the way, a few weeks ago my girlfriend and I were watching this new 90210 type show called OC and the Little rich kids were chilling to some vintage Martin Denny. Hmmm..

UPDATE:

I went to the Davenport this weekend, and asked the owners about the opening date for the Tiki Tiki. "'Bout a month" was the answer. "Liquor license problems. We're interviewing and hiring now, though."

So Houston, plan on mid-April! I sure am, and cannot WAIT! (Sure, I'm setting myself up for a fall, as I fear the worst, but I will endeavor to be positive!)

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: formikahini on 2004-03-15 20:24 ]

On 2004-02-20 12:10, Sneakytiki wrote:

Whenever I'm out at a bar I always try to yell Freebird or Skynard! between sets so the band will feel at home if no one else yells it. It's not that I have anything against Skynard or that I want to hear Freebird, it's just a thing I feel compelled to do to keep a sense of order in the universe.

Theres a sign in the Continental bar in New York City that expressly forbids anyone from yelling out Freebird!!!! And I have seen people ejected for doing so...

Seems the owner got sick of hearing night after night after night after night after... can't say I totally blame him in light of that!

TG

[ Edited by: Tikigardener on 2004-03-15 21:29 ]

On 2004-02-18 09:14, Tiki_Bong wrote:

On 2004-02-18 09:08, diesel tiki wrote:

Redneck is a race???

T

Exactly what I was thinking. Making fun of mullets is not the same as making fun of caucasians. Though both are pleasant hobbies.

speaking of eternally angry creatures w/ mullets:

Glad to hear about a aproximate opening date. but I have to take issue with the anti Skynard attitudes I have seen...Allthough I will admit that the "Freebird" joke is way old. The classic rock/hard rock/metal is my music of choice. I like the exotica type stuff as well but I really hate the electronica/techno and dj bullshit that has no talant to back it up...And whats with dj's trying to pass themselves off as musicians?! I have heard them called "turntableists"...What a joke.

On 2004-03-16 11:19, AlmostHuman wrote:
dj bullshit that has no talant to back it up...And whats with dj's trying to pass themselves off as musicians?! I have heard them called "turntableists"...What a joke.

DO NOT start a war here pal. I am sick to death of closed minded meatheads (or metalheads, in this case) who are so afraid or threatened by music without a big phallic guitar dominating the sound. Just because you don't like it (or understand it) doesn't give you the right to say it's talentless. I am one of those DJ's/record producers that writes, records and releases Techno. Does that mean I have no talent? I suppose I should now mention that I attended Berklee College of Music as a horn player (Jazz). Do I have talent NOW? Or do I need a Flying V and a marshall stack to prove my chops?

Some of the most talented musicians I've known are DJs. Sorry, but "instruments" come in all shapes & sizes. The Tiki community is wide and varied, think before you randomly bash something here!

-Z

Dude, Rock on!

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-03-16 12:23 ]

On 2004-03-16 12:14, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
I am one of those DJ's/record producers that writes, records and releases Techno. Does that mean I have no talent? I suppose I should now mention that I attended Berklee College of Music as a horn player (Jazz). Do I have talent NOW?

Berklee College of Music now offers a class in the turntable arts:
http://www.berklee.edu/opi/2004/0217.html

I forgot I heard a blurb on NPR about that. Interesting how the website mentions the electric guitar in their headline:

"Adoption of New Instrument Continues Berklee's History as Being the First to Teach New Music Forms – First with Jazz in the 1940s and Electric Guitar in the 1960s"

Hmmm, gee, to think that the beloved AXE was once frowned upon by the musical establishment. (as was everything else that was once new)

-Z

Disclaimer: I don't hate guitars, I took 2 years myself.

Say what you will but turning a record on a turntable is NOT musical talent....I'm glad you attended Berkley as I know it's a very prestegious (sp?) school (for jazz I think it's only behind Juliard and University of North Texas my alma matter btw)
I do undersand electronica and it does have it's place...but computer generated "music" and drum machines (to me) are only tools...
I'm just as passionate (make that VERY much so) but I'm not willing to sully paradise so we might wanna take this to email if you wanna...
A.H.

Sounds like a FABulous "Beyond Tiki" topic, you hijackers-of-the-thread-about-the-new-tiki-bar-in-Houston you!! Move it along, boys! Play nicely - in another forum!

(I myself have STROOOONG opinions about this off-the-trail topic, and might chip in if it opens elsewhere. Might. But the flying fur might not be pretty!)

Actually...I think I'm the one who hijacked the thread I started...
A.H.

MM

Berklee College of Music now offers a class in the turntable arts:
http://www.berklee.edu/opi/2004/0217.html

"The turntable arts"? Ha! Can a Julliard class for "Advanced Hip-Hop" be far behind?

MM

On 2004-03-16 12:49, cynfulcynner wrote:

On 2004-03-16 12:14, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
I am one of those DJ's/record producers that writes, records and releases Techno. Does that mean I have no talent? I suppose I should now mention that I attended Berklee College of Music as a horn player (Jazz). Do I have talent NOW?

Not if you're wasting it on producing Techno! :)

"It's just my nature to do weird stuff." - Les Baxter

On 2004-03-16 20:11, Mau Mau wrote:
Not if you're wasting it on producing Techno! :)

now you're just being a complete ass.

-Z

PS- My appologies to everyone for my part in getting this thread off topic, but narrow-mindedness is the reason many of us can't find a decent Tiki bar close by. I really don't feel like trying to explain music history (or its logical progression) to those who are single minded and will never see any point of view than their own, so this is my last post on this subject.

Speeking of DJ's is this Tiki Bar going to have DJ's. Blah, Blah , Blah,

Has it opened yet?
Are there any Pic's to Post?

RE: Speeking of DJ's is this Tiki Bar going to have DJ's. Blah, Blah , Blah,
Has it opened yet?
Are there any Pic's to Post?

No Dj. They will be playing mp3s off a hardrive. And they opened yesterday. I will be there tommorow so I will take and post pictures afterwards.

Max aka DJ Mexstacy

Pages: 1 24 replies