Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beside Tiki....................

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies

M

Cynfulcyner: Thanks for your reply. I've seen that tiki shaker too. I was just hoping to find something not plastic.

Tiki Farm sells a stainless shaker with a tiki on it.

I run the mail order department, web site, and do the graphic design for my Mum's quilt shop full time.

All the joy of three jobs, in one!

S

Lets just say my one job has to do with Location, Location, and Location. And, My second job is helping wives, girlfriends and many others get the best nights sleep ever!!

K
kauno posted on Wed, May 25, 2005 1:19 PM

What's your friend's name and what does he do?

You guys at Blue Sky do some great work. Did you have anything to do with "Bunny"? That's one of my favorite CG shorts of all time.

John Dodelson is his name, he's a modeler.

Thanks, glad you like our work. I did in fact work on "Bunny", as a modeler. It was a lot of fun to work on. Looking forward to seeing the new "X-men 3" game.

Big time fan of Blue Sky! Loved the style of Ice Age! As a "dabbler" in Maya, I REALLY appreciate the great stuff that you cats do!

Owner of a funky "Rumpus Room" supply store in Vancouver's Chinatown.
http://www.funhauserdecor.com

On 2005-05-25 10:54, martiki wrote:

Tiki Farm sells a stainless shaker with a tiki on it.

Got that. It's my favorite shaker. Perfect size. Good fit. Excellent quality (and the tiki gives ya somthin' to wrap your hand around so you don't "lose your grip").

J

joefla70 I like the way you think! I too collect, or collected, both cocktail shakers and radios. That Hawkes shaker is a beaut! I've been collecting cocktail shakers on and off for 10 years now and I don't have any as nice as that! I mainly buy the 50's era glass shakers with the screen-printed graphics and the metal lids. One of these days I'm hoping to find a deco skyscraper shaker for a steal but it has yet to happen! Oh the stories I could recount about my cocktail shaker conquests and discoveries... they used to give me the same thrill tiki mugs do today but the lack of any real art deco or distinctive modern pieces in the wild kinda limited my collection and eventually my interest. The same with the radios – one man only needs so many brown and black plastic radios – I never came across any brightly colored catalin or bakelite Fada’s and with the prices they were selling for I wouldn’t have been able to afford one anyway! But this is Tiki Central not Shaker/Radio Central so I'll keep those stories to myself.

Now that I've strayed completely off base and interrupted a topic that was doing well without my input, I guess I’ll just answer the question; I'm a video editor for the local ABC affiliate here in Baltimore.

K
kauno posted on Thu, May 26, 2005 8:04 AM

On 2005-05-25 14:14, suburbanpagan wrote:
Big time fan of Blue Sky! Loved the style of Ice Age! As a "dabbler" in Maya, I REALLY appreciate the great stuff that you cats do!

Thanks sub-b-pagan! Your art directing on Tom Goes to the Mayor, sounds pretty cool. I haven't seen the show yet, I'll have to check it out. I took a look at your website. I'm diggin' those necklaces, nice work!

M

As an aside, I finally saw an episode Tom Goes To The Mayor, and it was funny as hell. Seriously bent, but damn good.

Nice work!

I work as an analyst for The North Face, an outdoor clothing and equipment company. Spent most of last week at a sales meeting in Squaw Valley. The swag is great if you like that kind of suff.

On 2005-05-26 19:06, tiki-riviera wrote:

I work as an analyst for The North Face, an outdoor clothing and equipment company.

Very cool , I love my north face jacket.

Thanks Kauno! I actually have an entire online portfolio too......I have been revamping my site since Oasis and am making a new portal to that side of what I do.......it'll be functioning again tonight ( I hope!) haha!

8T

I wanted to be a rocket scientist but I am just a boob so I became a tiki brain surgeon.

I have my own Pool route 3-days a week and the rest is selling the Flamed Fish some Tiki Stuff it works out well I never been the 8-5 person .

I am a program coordinator at a large university. I work in the sciences and I have to say I really love it. I do wish the pay was better but I feel that in my job I do a lot of good.

On 2005-05-22 23:55, Tiki Royale wrote:
Well... While I'm waiting for my call-up to play center field for the Yanks, I'm biding my time as a graphic designer.
It's swell.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Must be nice!

While i'm waiting for my call-up to play graphic designer, I'm biding my time as a neck-downer in the local convenience store distribution plant.

Bong. I wish I could have savored my unemployment days while i was in their midst. You make it sound glamorous!

On 2005-05-23 12:31, dangergirl299 wrote:
I don't think I posted in the original thread, but I am an attorney for school districts and local businesses...

God bless you! Somebody's got to do it!

[ Edited by: FreakBear on 2005-05-28 21:49 ]

On 2005-05-23 12:50, stuff-o-rama wrote:
....No more scumbag landlords, no more employees not showing up for shifts drama, no more people breaking and abusing merchandise, no more theft. I can now sit in my newly landscaped backyard and enjoy it.

Like TaxiDriver but with a happier ending!

On 2005-05-28 17:09, La Tiki-ette wrote:
I am a program coordinator at a large university. I work in the sciences and I have to say I really love it. I do wish the pay was better but I feel that in my job I do a lot of good.

Which specific sciences do you work in? I'm a science geek who was never smart enough to make in the sciences so I became an artist.

Good to see some other animators and artists around here. And always fun to talk to folks in completely different lines of work.

I'm an animator at Disney. I do effects animation on movies and theme park projects. Working on Chicken Little now, and next up "A Day with Wilbur Robinson".

B

Hey Joe, I finally got around to showing my wife the shakers. They are great! I waited because I knew exactly what her reaction would be, and I wanted to get just one more tiki before we started collecting shakers. Thanks for the post.
Aloha, Benehune

H

I am a JAP......

J

You're welcome, Benehune

Yeah, it can be quite an expensive hobby to take up. But its a lot of fun to collect things that you not only like, but also get some use out of. I use my shakers and my antique radios often. I have friends that collect NASCAR and other memorabilia and they never take the items out of the box so that they stay in "mint" condition. I will never understand that! If you are not going to enjoy what you collect, why bother??? It would be like buying a tiki mug and never taking it out of the box to drink out of it. What would be the fun of that?

Anyway, good luck with your shaker collection. I see a lot of silver and silver plate shakers at antique and consignment shops that are a lot cheaper than the shakers that I posted above. A lot of them kinda look like trophies because they have handles on the sides. That would be an inexpensive way to get your collection started.

B

Hey thanks, that is good to know since I am kind of tapped out right now.
Aloha, Benehune

Bamboo Bump!

I Carve tikis.
I play music with Wiki Waki Woo on Oahu.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/wikiwakiwoo
I also teach Guitar, Steel Guitar & Uke .
I carve some more Tikis.
Steal wood.
Carve. Eat. Sleep.
Steal wood (who's gonna miss that coconut tree anyways?).
I Work at Hanauma Bay "keeping an eye on Insurgents"who walk on the reef.
I snorkle. Wrote a book about sharks. Did 2 underwater videos and am working on a Hanauma Bay DVD.
....and oh yes... I wake up the neighborhood at 7 a.m. with my grinder, chainsaw and my fun power chisel.
And I just cut a perfectly good canoe, in half, for a pair of Tiki planters, because I ran out of logs.

I have a mind-numbing systems analyst job for a medical software company. I get to do horrible stuff like:

analyze TCP sniffer traces to find out the remote host is ACKing out-of-sequence frames!

trap a print stream to find out the application is using ANSI instead of PCL escape codes!

place trap in our LPR client program to find out of a print job is being rejected because it didn't like the specified queue name!

figure out serial wiring for a terminal server we don't support wired to a lab instrument they stopped making in 1987!

And after 5:30, I pretend I'm a beachcomber and think about undiscovered tropical islands until it's time for bed.

On 2005-10-31 04:38, pappythesailor wrote:
...I get to do horrible stuff like:

analyze TCP sniffer traces to find out the remote host is ACKing out-of-sequence frames!

trap a print stream to find out the application is using ANSI instead of PCL escape codes!

place trap in our LPR client program to find out of a print job is being rejected because it didn't like the specified queue name!

figure out serial wiring for a terminal server we don't support wired to a lab instrument they stopped making in 1987!...

... control, alt, delete...

... shut down...

... power off...

... drink beer...

H
hmc posted on Sat, Jan 14, 2006 3:28 PM

But the place that really awoke the Tiki within was Samoa! I had 3 weeks in this Polynesian paradise in 1998, & so long as you don't mind roughing it(cold showers, no Air-con)& are not in a hurry you can stay in your own thatched hut (called a 'fale')on the beach for about $15USD a night(including Breakfast & Dinner).This is Independent Samoa I'm talking about NOT nearby American Samoa.
Despite all the appearances of the most traditional Polynesian society around, Tikis are rarely to be seen - if at all. Kava (Ava in Samoa)Bowls though can be found.
If you want an extremely laid-back holiday with a traditional culture thrown in, Samoa will reward you, without breaking the bank!
I'd love to go back.

I'm going to Samoa in June this year! And reading your post about Samoa has gotten me excited... actually, whenever I read up on Samoa it gets me excited - so it's nothing personal ;o)

Virgin have got this new deal with Samoa and have a new flight path called Polynesian Blue (it's newly launched, since about Nov 2005). Ever since this new partnership, Virgin have been doing big write-ups on Samoa. In one of their articles, they included pictures of the new Aggie Grey's (there are 2 Aggie Grey hotels now) and the new one includes Tiki Totem poles throughout their whole outdoor dining area! I'll taking LOADS of pictures and I'll definitely post them for you all...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies