Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beside Tiki....................

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies

T

Found this and thought it was a good time revive it with so many new faces like myself.

I grew up in Wisconsin but through my time in the Marine Corps I have been stationed in Hawaii on Oahu, visited various parts of South Korea, Okinawa Japan, Thailand, I spent my last part of my service in Twenty-Nine Palms, Ca. Since getting out of the service in 94-2002 I worked mostly retail management but I decide in Jan of 2002 to earn my Associate degree in Criminal Justice to eventually become a police officer. The whole time I have been going to college I was a full time student who also had to become the primary care giver for 3 and now 4 kids. Now I am in need of work, trying to get hired again as a manager but of a tiki bar currently in So.Cal so I can move my family there. I have been married for 7 years and my wife and I have 4 kids ages 11boy,6grl,3boy, 10mnths grl. We are taking our belated honeymoon finally to Hukilau. I founded a mens rugby club and was the president, coach, webmaster, scheduled matches, did the finances, cooked the food for the parties, did fund raising, got apparel made for the players. In 2004 after discovering Tiki Central I had the notion to do a Tiki Festival in Wisconsin called the Tiki Pa'ina which went over fairly well. Currently out of work trying to find a way to get work and move to California. About it folks.

As of last week I was a sign maker.
I am a graphic designer (now freelancing) and ebay seller. I am also a musician.
My wife and I are moving soon to West Texas, so I am in between jobs. and that's about it. pretty dull.

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 3:41 AM

Have you ever wondered what some TCers do for a crust? I have! What professional areas do we come from?

I am undertaking honours research in order to complete a degree in land management (otherwise known as tree hugging). On the weekends I work in a swimming pool supplies store.

Anglican Priest. Yes, really! Why else would I be up at 5:22 A.M. on a Sunday??? :lol: Gotta run! I have Matins and Mass starting at 7:30 in Hollywood!

http://www.stmaryoftheangels.org/

Note: Parish is in same neighborhood as Tiki Ti if you ever wanna stop by! :wink:

Well, I used to do the shirt and tie gig for more that a few years. One day I said f*#& this sh(# and quit with Mdm Bong's blessings.

The day I knew I was leaving I walked in to my Director's office, and with a verbal flair only Bong could spew, told her how much I appreciated her and her management style.

Life's too short to do something you at best have no passion for, or for worst hate.

I'm back in school to get a teaching credential.

For now, my work day goes something like this: run, drop my little tiki's off at school, lift weights, surf, walk dog at beach, practice steel guitar for a few hours, finish up school work, pick up my little tiki's at school, cook dinner, band practice, sleep...

The good side is that my current job is stress free, the down side is..., there isn't one.

Podiatrist.

On 2005-05-22 09:38, Tiki_Bong wrote:
For now, my work day goes something like this: run, drop my little tiki's off at school, lift weights, surf, walk dog at beach, practice steel guitar for a few hours, finish up school work, pick up my little tiki's at school, cook dinner, band practice, sleep..

Damn Bong, I wish I could be more like you. Livin' La Vida Loca! I'm still wakin' up at 5:00 AM every morning and draggin' my tired ass down to the Piss Factory so I can make somebody else rich.

"They keep ya doped on religion, sex and TV, 'till you're so f#ckin' crazy ya can't hardly see." - John Lennon

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 22, 2005 9:05 PM

Poly pop - I searched for "job","work","profession" and none of those found that thread! Of course "what do you do" contains nones of those terms.

My profession is now significant enough to warrant an action figure:

(Available from Archie Mcphee.)

Talkin' 'bout the dog wash
Dog wash, girl
Come on, ya'all, let's sing it with me
(Dog wash)
Sing it with feelin', ya'all
(Dog wash, girl)

i just started working part-time at The Wash Dog ~ its a fun job ~ (my previous line of work was Quality Assurance at SONY and at IMED, serious stuff compared to smelly wet dogs!)

Well... While I'm waiting for my call-up to play center field for the Yanks, I'm biding my time as a graphic designer.
It's swell.
Aloha,
:tiki:

On 2005-05-22 21:05, hewey wrote:
Poly pop - I searched for "job","work","profession" and none of those found that thread! Of course "what do you do" contains nones of those terms.

I know what you mean - happens to me too! Interesting thread though, huh?

I re-read the old thread that Pop posted and noticed my entry is very out-of-date. I mention my "girlfriend", now my lovely wife of 2 years, and my job at Totally Games, which ended a year ago when the company folded. It was a great 6 year run. Now at Z-Axis in Foster City, Ca. working on "X-Men 3" game. Also, just 3 months away form the arrival of Baby Pineapple, due in late August. :wink:

I don't think I posted in the original thread, but I am an attorney for school districts and local businesses (including restaurants!); and in my free time I hope to publish some of my various fiction/non-fiction "works" and sell some of my extra crap (oops, I mean "treasures") on ebay~

For 8 years I ran a retail store with a website, but as of March I was worn out. I am an "army of one." a single woman with no partners or investors. A do-it-yourselfer, I do my own designs, advertising, website, everything. I got a home operation permit and now am an internet only store. My income has dropped dramatically, but the stress is ten times less. No more scumbag landlords, no more employees not showing up for shifts drama, no more people breaking and abusing merchandise, no more theft. I can now sit in my newly landscaped backyard and enjoy it. I don't know why I didn' do this years ago. The only thing is if the website doesn't pan out in the long run it's going to be really painful to go back to the 8 to 5 grind and work under someone else!

I'm a lush and come from a long line of lushes.....we even hav a few drunks back there somewhere in our family tree......by day I am a graphic designer

I'm a lush and come from a long line of lushes.....we even hav a few drunks back there somewhere in our family tree......by day I am a graphic designer

On 2005-05-23 11:18, Tiki-bot wrote:
I re-read the old thread that Pop posted and noticed my entry is very out-of-date. I mention my "girlfriend", now my lovely wife of 2 years, and my job at Totally Games, which ended a year ago when the company folded. It was a great 6 year run. Now at Z-Axis in Foster City, Ca. working on "X-Men 3" game. Also, just 3 months away from the arrival of Baby Pineapple, due in late August. :wink:

haha, I saw that post on the original thread and was wondering 'who is this mattress dumping girlfriend???' then I realized it was ME! (see honey, I TOLD you we/you only had our last bed for 2 years...)

I'm an office/project manager at a graphic design/advertising agency in Berkeley. Our biggest claim to fame is we designed the Games of Baseball at the Philadelphia Phillies new stadium!

On-line Systems Computer System Administrator. I work with HP-NonStop/Tandem systems & related networks, but if Gecko needs me, I can drive any kind of fork truck, too, and I used to work Non-Con Shipping & L.O.D. for Sears Logistics Services. C'mon, Gecko, save me from the 5! :lol:

I'm a Kindergarten Teacher. Yes, the Natives (Kids) are crazy this time of year. I'm also going to school to get my Travel Agent Lisence. Woo Hooo! TIKI TRAVEL :)

I teach marine bio and oceanography at Cabrillo Marine Aquarium right here in lovely san pedro.

So basically....I work at the beach.

somtimes life is fair

J
john posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 8:55 PM

i am a full-time glass artist, just opened my own studio in april. on the side i play hockey a few nights a week
-john

J
john posted on Mon, May 23, 2005 8:58 PM

On 2005-05-22 05:26, PapeToaTane wrote:
Anglican Priest. Yes, really! Why else would I be up at 5:22 A.M. on a Sunday??? :lol: Gotta run! I have Matins and Mass starting at 7:30 in Hollywood!

http://www.stmaryoftheangels.org/

Note: Parish is in same neighborhood as Tiki Ti if you ever wanna stop by! :wink:

if its not too much trouble, could put in a good word for me and my business. a month after i started the paperwork my wife got pregnant--could use all the help i can get :wink:

Contractor and new construction progress inspector. I'm bummed that I won't get to stop by Stuff-O-Rama when we visit SLO next month, but good for you! Hope it works out.

J

On 2005-05-23 20:58, john wrote:
...a month after i started the paperwork my wife got pregnant--could use all the help i can get :wink:

John isn't that always the way? My wife got pregnant 2 months after we bought a bigger house and traded in her Subaru Outback station wagon for a 2 door Honda Accord! I've told friends of ours who have been unsuccessful in trying to have children that all they need to do is make a large purchase or financial decision and voila you'll be pregnant! :)

T

I'm a copywriter/group creative director at TAXI Advertising and Design. On the side I sell vintage architecture and design books and magazines on Ebay.

But as most of you know, my real job is hosting SHOUT all day.

On 2005-05-24 06:46, tikifish wrote:
But as most of you know, my real job is hosting SHOUT all day.

And we (at least I) love you for that. :)

Audio and video website applications by day.
Bartender at Highlands Inn Carmel and Monterey Bay Aquarium by night.
3 Jobs? Takes a lot of clams to live on the ocean and pursue the Tiki life at the same time.

Musician....

....with a day job.

art director of a cartoon called "tom Goes to the Mayor" on Cartoon Network

On 2005-05-24 11:32, suburbanpagan wrote:
art director of a cartoon called "tom Goes to the Mayor" on Cartoon Network

Going OT for a second: any truth to the rumor about a "Mr. Show: The Movie" project being in the works?

K

Character Sculptor and Computer Modeler. I've been at Blue Sky Studios for eight years now and worked on Ice Age and Robots. Wish I had more time to sculpt tikis. Hey Tiki-Bot, I noticed you work at Z-Axis. A friend of mine just started there about a month ago. Sounds like a cool place to work.

RR

Art Director for a couple of RVing magazines.

J

I am a lawyer for a small firm in Boca Raton, Florida that does mostly PI and PIP litigation. I do some litigation myself, but I primarily handle the appellate portion of the practice (which I enjoy far more than litigating). When I am not litigating or appealing, -- besides tiki -- I also enjoy collecting antique radios and cocktail shakers.

[ Edited by: joefla70 on 2005-05-25 10:38 ]

B

Hey Joe, will you post your shaker collection? My wife has expressed an interest in that and I think it goes well with my tiki collection.
I am a school psychologist. At my 20th high school reunion I won the male award for the most unusual occupation. Not that being a psychologist is unusual, but the fact that I had become one was. It takes one to know one I guess. My female counterpart was Natasha the Sex Goddess or Dr. Natasha Terry, as she likes to be called now (just incase anyone listens to sex talk on the radio).

i'm a Human Resources Manager, Environmental, Health & Safety Coordinator, and Training Coordinator for a wire harness and cable assembly facility. i do all that crap so that i have money to do the stuff i really like: SCUBA instructor, lifeguard, sprint triathlete, virgin half-marathoner, and half-assed tiki carver. damn, i'm tired, i'm goin' to bed.

Full time stay at home dad of 3 , ages 6, 4 and 2. I work part time nights as a reservation agent for a airline. Cool thing is I work from home. And aspiring part time carver.

I'm a supervisor at a company that manufactures custom surgical kits.

Is there a prize for the most boring job?

If there is, did I win?

J

Hi Benehune,

Actually, I'm fairly new to collecting the cocktail shakers myself. It started when I found this one at Rennigers antique festival in Mt. Dora, Florida:

Its a Hawkes crystal and sterling silver shaker. The one pictured above isn't mine, but mine is identical to that one (except for the price). I got mine for $140 -- which I thought was steep at the time. But I've since seen them go for over $500. The one pictured above is being sold for $688.

Here's another one that I bought from Restoration Hardware:

I'd like to find a tiki cocktail shaker, but I've never run across one. I've seen tiki decanters, but never a shaker. I wonder if any exist.

Here are some other shakers that I have had my eye on, and would like to buy when I can spare the cash.

[ Edited by: joefla70 on 2005-05-25 10:33 ]

T

Wow, these are awesome. What do they go for and are they hard to find? Are they vintage or new?

T

On 2005-05-24 11:57, kauno wrote:
...Hey Tiki-Bot, I noticed you work at Z-Axis. A friend of mine just started there about a month ago. Sounds like a cool place to work.

What's your friend's name and what does he do?

You guys at Blue Sky do some great work. Did you have anything to do with "Bunny"? That's one of my favorite CG shorts of all time.

On 2005-05-24 20:39, joefla70 wrote:
I'd like to find a tiki cocktail shaker, but I've never run across one. I've seen tiki decanters, but never a shaker. I wonder if any exist.

The only tiki shaker I've encountered is the Archie McPhee model:

http://www.mcphee.com/lounge/current/10919.html

On 2005-05-24 21:04, Tiki-bot wrote:

Wow, these are awesome. What do they go for and are they hard to find? Are they vintage or new?

The lantern shakers are new reproduction of a vintage shakers which were originally produced by Asprey’s of London around 1935. The green is the "starboard" ship's lantern and the red is the "port" I've read that the originals are very rare. You can get the reproductions for anwhere between $110 and $150 online. The cheapest I've seen it being sold for is at this site: http://www.maritime.org/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-X9255.html?E+scstore. This site http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=22&product_id=2057&fromgoogle=yes sells them in both red and green.

Cynfulcyner: Thanks for your reply. I've seen that tiki shaker too. I was just hoping to find something not plastic.

On 2005-05-24 19:11, joefla70 wrote:
I am a lawyer for a small firm in Boca Raton, Florida that primarily handles PI and PIP litigation. I do some of the litigation, but I primarily handle the appellate portion of the practice (which I enjoy far more than litigating). When I am not litigating or appealing, -- besides tiki -- I also enjoy collecting antique radios and cocktail shakers.

E
eel posted on Wed, May 25, 2005 10:39 AM

I was going to say "Shout" but fish beat me to it!
I'm still waitressing at the club a few nights a week. During the day I thrift, and work on all my hobbies. I sell vintage clothes and acessories at Rose Bowl every month to support my thrift habit, so any locals come by and say "Hi!" One day I'll get back to selling on ebay too.
I also make lucite jewelry, lamps, and etc. and I love it! Soon I'll get around to posting some pics in creating...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies