Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Official Announcement of Hukilau 2004

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies

Alright, here it is. The new site going up marks the Official Announcement of Hukilau 2004. http://www.TheHukilau.com

We hope you guys enjoy what we have in store for you. Feel free to join us on the Hukilau Forum as well.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to email us at anytime.

Hurry - make your reservations!

H

I HEAR IT!! I HEAR THE CALL OF THE TIKI!!!

HEHEHEHEHEHHE!!

Wow, you guys have done a great job pulling together a really interesting schedule with varied activities. I can't wait! Fantastic artwork by Derek, per usual.

I'm gonna be sharing a hotel room, and the reservation has already been made under their name... how should I fill out your registration form? I don't want to goof up your totals or anything.

ALOHA!

(I get to celebrate my 30th birthday at the Mai Kai surrounded by my dearest 'ohana! What could possibly be better?)

S

There is a field on the form for the name the room is registered under, but if they are going to fill out the form, they will simply pick how many other people are in the room and enter your name in that field when it comes up. So, just fill it out once, whoever does it.

Hukilau! Hukilau! Hukilau!

I've NEVER wanted the summer to pass so soon! Mrs. Bamboo get's to experience it this time too!(don't worry. we won't bite!! Arrrrrrrr!well, maybe......) There just isn't anything that compares. Must have something to do with the humidity and coco palms! ( probably nothing to do with Mecca aka THE MAI KAI!!!!!!) If you never have been, I "highly suggest" you get "your ass" in gear and reserve! Trust me, it's worth every hard earned cent!

Hukilau! Hukilau! Hukilau!

S

Yes, Pacifica and the coconuts! Everyone walking around with their fresh chopped coconuts full of elixir... ALO-HA!

Yes, Pacifica and the coconuts! Everyone walking around with their fresh chopped coconuts full of elixir... ALO-HA!

I remember looking out the window of the hotel last year, 9th floor I think, and these dudes were off loading a truck bed full of coco-nuts. " Hey Holden! Check it out! What are these dudes doing with all those coconuts?? Dunno Benno. While he's on the phone with the freight company, "my mugs are where!! OHIO???!!!! You said they would be here now!!!!! (that was not a pretty sight!) Ok. Fast forward a bit. Hey Holden, let's go check out the vendors. OK Benno! Yo! Where did you get that coconut??? While on the elevator,my guess it was Flounder we were talking to. We got em' on the floor selling all the stuff!. Cool! Ok, long story short... come to find out it's Afa Tasi!!! The Coco-nut gods!! (and killer Tahitan wear too!!! http://www.Afatasi.com)If you had your head on your shoulders and were cool,those coco-nuts tasted a lot like Malibu Rum!! I remember sitting in the hallway across from their door, with my coco-nut, just relaxing and watching everyone's happy smiling face as they walked out with their coco-nut. Classic!

Oh yes, the coconuts! Kern and the crew have promised a repeat of that this year as well!

I'll be headed down to Florida next month to enjoy the Mai Kai and prepare for Hukilau. Oh, that's just an excuse.....

I don't know if I'm gonna be able to make it to the event but I could spend all day on the website! The music alone puts you in a Hukilau mood! Top notch! Ahhhhh....

On 2004-02-23 22:46, johntiki wrote:
I don't know if I'm gonna be able to make it to the event but I could spend all day on the website! The music alone puts you in a Hukilau mood! Top notch! Ahhhhh....

Sorry for you! It's the tops, without a doubt the finest there is.

Some lucky hotel chambermaid got my (emptied) coconuts last year!
***Please note: NO DOUBLE ENTÉNDRE INTENDED.

On 2004-02-24 01:11, Basement Kahuna wrote:

Sorry for you! It's the tops, without a doubt the finest there is.

Don't rub it in! I saw the pictures and heard the accounts from last years event! I'm thinking of avoiding any references to the Hukilau so I don't know what I'm missing out on! :)

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-02-24 12:56 ]

B

Well I sure can't wait to go. I Am going to my First Tiki Event ever. Can't wait, Can't wait..ONLY SEVEN MORE MONTHS. I'm glad they gave us a little notice. Jon Tiki has a long time to live with this, Sorry John.

S

Gonna miss it again,
that's the same weekend as our yearly rockabilly weekend here in Seattle.
AAAARGh, why must I love RAB AND TIKI?
arrrrrgh.
pea

T

On 2004-02-24 14:48, sweetpea wrote:
AAAARGh, why must I love RAB AND TIKI?
arrrrrgh.
pea

They have tikibilly at the Hukilau! Check out the web site.

C'MON, Sweetpea!!!

The wedding of your sibling, an imminent birthin', major emergency surgery, complete poverty (e.g., just buying a new house), or being out of the country are about the only acceptable excuses to miss this. (I was forced by the last one to miss out last year, and I STILL regret it!!). Oh, and nuclear war. That's acceptable as an excuse.

You'll still get a rockabilly fix in Fort Lauderdale; if it's not big enough, we'll grease the rim of all your mai tais with hair pomade so you won't feel like anything's missing, ok?

H

Well, I want Sweetpea to be at the Hukilau as much as anyone (maybe more -- I miss my Sweetpea!), but you have to understand that Sweetpea missing the annual RAB event in Seattle would be like Dick Clark deciding to spend New Year's Eve in Fargo, only way, way, way worse. As a matter of fact, Seattle would probably send a troop of 'billy boys all the way to Ft. Lauderdale to retreive her, and in the meantime there would be a wailing and gnashing of teeth on a scale so massive that the reverberations would be felt all the way through to the other side of the Rockies. We're talking WTO II here, folks. Ain't gonna happen. We'll definitely miss you, though, Sweetpea.

On 2004-02-24 16:16, Humuhumu wrote:
As a matter of fact, Seattle would probably send a troop of 'billy boys all the way to Ft. Lauderdale to retreive [Sweetpea]

Hmmmm, I kinda like the idea of EXTRA 'billies making their way there! We could waylay 'em:

• puncture/deflate their pompadours OR
  • put out big sheets of flypaper to stick to their brothel-creepers OR
  • set out cut-outs of Betty Page in front of bamboo-frond-covered (non-tiger) pits! (Well, I might be waitin' in there :wink: )

I wouldn't mind some extra boys with nice bowling shirts hanging around at ALL!

H

Now you're talkin'! We'll kidnap Sweetpea... she'll be the most fun boy bait ever! Now to figure out how to fairly divide the spoils....

Come on Sweetpea!! We missed Indy last year because Hukilau was on the same weekend and we survived. We didn't realize in choosing the date last year.

Pack those bags girl and head on down to Ft. Lauderdale - you won't regret it.

M

I'm hoping to go! This is going to be one fantastic TIKI EVENT!

(topic moved)

T

I'm not sure which of the two hotels I should book. Could anyone give me feedback on the pros and cons of each place?

Mahalo!

tikigreg

Cons-if you want to sleep, don't stay at the small one.

Pros- if you want to sleep, stay at the big one.

If you stay at the small one, you will have to join our "Band of Pirates and Wenches" for when we take over the water taxi and loot all the Sleepers of their Tiki Loot!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Now to figure out how to fairly divide the spoils....

Humu- I thought we had ground rules worked out last time!

The form is filled out, now we just wait. Russell is packing his eye-patch as we speak.

Kiliki and Swanky- site and the planning looks great!!!

S

Ben is right Greg. There are 2 bars in the courtyard of the hotel and most of the rooms are around that courtyard. With 67 rooms, chances are, it will be filled with the likes of Ben and Al and Holden and BK and there will be no rest for 3 or 4 days... Plus, those who don't want to sleep yet from the other hotel will be over there too... There is a good chance we will fill that puppy up.

Just so people know. Last year we had 80-95 rooms booked on Friday night in the Holiday Inn after months of work. It's been roughly 24 hours so far and we are at 50+ rooms booked. We may fill our room block by Friday...

So far in the Hukilau village: CA, FL, VA, CT, OH, GA, TN, IL, TX, LA, NY, SC, and of course, Italy...

H

On 2004-02-24 20:11, inkylouise wrote:

Now to figure out how to fairly divide the spoils....

Humu- I thought we had ground rules worked out last time!

We did, but now we have to incorporate Formikahini into the mix. Lessee... how about east of the Mississippi goes to Inky, east of the Rockies goes to Formikahini (and we'll give her Alaska & Hawaii, too), and I get west of the Rockies. Zat good?

Oh, wait, who gets international??

MB

It's been roughly 24 hours so far and we are at 50+ rooms booked. We may fill our room block by Friday...

Right on! Water taxi....beep beep!

T

Thanks Ben and Swanky. That's kind of what I was eluding to when I asked my question. It's my birthday that weekend, so I have to decide if I want a relaxing time or a pull-out-all-the-stops time. :D

Mahalos!

Ok, that's it,

I'm voting for Hukilau as my honeymoon destination. I just hope I can convince the fiance before all the rooms fill up!

Wish me luck!

S

Canada in da house!

Damn, I should make my reservation form Canada capable...

S

Don't forget to pick the flowers when you visit the site...

Uh...yeah...uhhh...we got the penthouse, so if you'll all just keep it down or we might have to complain on you, mmmmmkay?

MB

:lol:.....penthouse?
You're in the "Crows Nest," pal.....we sail!!!!
:lol:

Well, I was able to convince my fiancé to make the Hukilau our Honeymoon destination!(didn't take much...he already owns a fez and an eye patch)

He's in the navy, so we can't make any decisions/reservations until we find out if:

A. he got his officers commission(he will then be spending 6 months in Ontario starting September 1st)

B. If his ship will be sailing during that weekend.(It's like pulling lion's teeth trying to find out the schedule)

I'm hoping that one of the two hotels will still have rooms available if we are indeed able to go, or at least that there are a couple of spaces left so that we can participate in the festivities! Oh the suspense!!! :)

Looks like you have a lot of carvers already... I imagine mine would be overkill...?

This is also an option for my honeymoon... we are wed in June and neither of us can afford our wish of Hawaii... maybe the next best thing here...

S

Lake Surfer,
If you can get a carving or two down there cheap and sell them, that's better than nothing. And if you go to Hawaii, you will not have 400-900 tiki ohana around you making you feel like family for the weekend...

OK folks, last year I said I'll make everything I can to make it to the next Hukilau, but it seems US customs may prevent that - a bill for $654 for inspecting my stuff put a dampner on my celebration. We might have the required dough by September, but it seems that it'll be way too late to sign up.
So - have fun you all, hoping things we'll be better next year.
I really like the website and the way the event seems to be organized, tiki_kiliki & Swanky.

Ran

S

If you want to see what cities are represented at Hukilau, go HERE...

T

I'm all torn up about this! The same weekend as the Hukilau is the Las Vegas Rockaround:

http://www.rockaround.net

How could this happen? I absolutely can't miss the Monks, Downliners Sect, Hasil Adkins, Chesterfield Kings, Orangutones, etc.

Frustrated and pissed off,
the jab

We are going to the Hukilau for our honeymoon!!!

Bahia Mar? BOOKED!
Dinner Cruise? BOOKED!
Friday Night Party? BOOKED!
Dinner Show? BOOKED!
Mug? BOOKED!
Flights? not booked.

Is everyone else still as excited as I am?!
Can't wait to meet you all,

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-05-18 11:27 ]

After hearing about the mad craziness of last years event, I had to dig deep into my soul and ask myself if this is the kind of event for me and my gal???.... And a small voice answered "AAAAAA HUUI HOOO!!!!!!"
Can't wait. Baxdog, you in?

T

Ok I am trying to make reservations for this so I can come down and Tiki like a mad tiki! Which hotel should I be staying at? What else should I be signing up for? My wife is letting me go solo for this, what a sweety! Please give me imput those of you who have gone before!!!!!!!!
Mahalo, Tiki-Toa

Tiki-Toa!

SO glad you and your wife are coming!

Have you checked out http://www.thehukilau.com? Asside from the fantastic music, Swanky & Tiki Kiliki have a list of all the events you have to choose from. There is also great hotel information. If you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that there are good aspects of both the Bahia Mar and the Bahia Cabana. We get a special Hukilau rate for both of them, so the choice is yours. I'll be going for my honeymoon, so I opted to stay at the Mar.

First off you should fill out the form here:
http://www.thehukilau.com/2004/website/reserve.php Then you will be able to reserve a spot in the events of your choice.

You will still need to make reservations for one of the dinner shows at the Mai Kai and you will of course still have to call a hotel to make your reservations.
Hope this helps!

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jun 1, 2004 4:09 PM

Wow, thanks Tiki wahine, you wanna help with the event?!

Be sure to come down for Thursday. It'll be a great time with all the ohana, and it won't quiet seem like it starts and then ends way too soon, though it will.

I would suggest the Bahia Mar. Air conditioned comfort, and the center of most activity. Plus a nice pool with bar/restaurant beside and beach access if you choose.

We schedule everything so that you can sleep in and party a little too much and still do everything and not be rushed at all. That is, you come hang out with a few hundred new friends and enjoy yourself. No worries.

We have more to announce soon, but we are learning that everything seems to come along weeks, even months after you would like for it to happen.

Swanky,
hehe, ya, I'm a little excited.

I know you two are super busy, so I thought I'd answer any questions I could.

Thanks for the event card, VERY cool, and a great way to share the excitement.

It's like a little pre-momento :)

Mahalo,

T

Hi Tiki-Wahine, MAHALO for the info, I had gone to the site and registered before seeing your posting, will probably be staying at the cheaper accomodations, save money to spend money on all the goodies I hope lots of vendors are bringing, and this may end up being our honeymooon also, only 8 years late.
Hey tiki_kiliki are there going to be some kind of LE Prints of the image that is at the beginning of this posting?? I would love to have that image to remember my first tiki event. Also I would love to offer my help some if you need it.

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jun 6, 2004 2:16 PM

On 2004-06-01 20:18, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Hey tiki_kiliki are there going to be some kind of LE Prints of the image that is at the beginning of this posting?? I would love to have that image to remember my first tiki event.

Yes, there will be prints of Derek's work and some of the top prints will also be available with a special very limited run Derek mugs that have a different glaze, etc, to match the prints. There will be more later and of course at the event.

T

Mahalo Swanky! I might have to buy a new suitcase to carry home all of my booty I come across at the Hukilau.

"May the Tiki Gods bless you and all always keep your mug full!"

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-06-06 15:43 ]

S

May I direct your attention to Tiki Farm for the latest in Hukilau propaganda. Big mahalo to our sponsor Smogbreather for forcing this upon his unsuspecting customers! And thanks to the Hukilau site designers at Troika for taking Derek's artwork and making this awesome movie!

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies