Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Official Announcement of Hukilau 2004

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies

S

New additions to the Hukilau site. Thanks to Basic Hip, we have a large selection of Billy Mure tracks to download. Also info on Johnny Knox. Johnny grew up here in Knoxville and started playing in clubs I used to hang out at. I never met him. Then he moved to Atlanta and Kiliki became friends with him and he played at Hukilau 2001. He has played at Trader Vics in a Don Ho tribute band called "Don HOrowitz" and is a tiki fan. He is returning to Hukilau 2004 to get things going on Thursday night at the water side Meet and Greet at the Bahia Cabana.

Oh yeah - Johnny can't wait - and folks, get ready! Tongo-hiti has said they'll make a guest appearance! Also, a great band from Atlanta that plays every Thursday at Trader Vic's and is my house band for Tiki Torch Nights!

S

Thanks to da smogbreathah:

Wow, thanks guys! The mug looks great!!

S

WHOOHOO!!!! I live in Miami, and my mouth is watering over the Hukilau! I can hardly wait!

I will see everyone there! :D

~Lenore

S

Thanks to our web hosting sponsors Catalyst IT, we will be able to have live webcam shots on Friday and Saturday of Hukilau! We'll post the address for the cam before the event, and try to stream it as fast as possible. You poor souls who are stuck at home will be able to see the vendor area and performances there, and the Friday night mayhem. I am not sure if it's possible to do sound. We'll see just how big and how fast we can get the cam to go!

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jul 7, 2004 5:25 PM

This is the first ever Derek mug in the glaze it will produced in:

I love it!

Swanky, I would really like to vend again this year along with my friend hoffa. but for some reason i can never get through on your website (computer freezes up etc.)please get back to me, thanks jimmy. [email protected]

If I can make money off of my art fair next weekend I'm hoping to come down... and would like to vend... ( some surf would be nice too) Could you point me to the thread regarding vendor's fee and the like? BK, I know you are the vendor organizer...

And is there an update on how booked the rooms are? If I gotta stay off campus I guess it is better than not coming at all. Against my better wishes I am considering the drive down from WI in order to bring stuff... I'm leaning towards bringing many of my handcarved tiki lamps down...

Thanks!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-07-10 01:09 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-07-10 01:11 ]

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this year :( Could someone pic me up an extra mug if possible? Will send $ before hand if needed.

S

Lake Surfer - plenty of room at the Bahia Mar, not so much at the Bahia Cabana. But I think there are still 20 rooms open. Email me about vending, [email protected]

I'll get you a mug AC, as long as they let me buy 2:-)

S

We are finally able to show you the boat we have worked (and worked and worked) to secure for the Thursday Dinner Cruise for Hukilau. All the details are HERE This is going to be an incredible event that will really set the weekend off! Hurry and book as seating is limited to 149 and we have 102 sold already!

Here are the pictures of this incredible boat!

That's right folks. When we saw the boat initially and started negotiations we knew we had to have this for Hukilau! We hope that everyone will enjoy it.

For those of you that will miss out on the boat cruise the Bahia Cabana will be having an amazing BBQ! See the site for details! And we'll all sail in at 9:00pm to meet you there.

DZ

Swanky & Kiliki - Now I see why getting the right boat took so long: the "Tikki Beach" is simply amazing!! With the entertainment, dinner, drinks & scenery, I may not want to get off it after the cruise!

I'm counting the days...

T

That boat is the shiznit. Way to go Swanky & Kilaki, its a heck of alot better than that 2nd option on the Hukilau board. The dinner menu looks mouthwatering also. A three hour tour huh.......don't suppose we'll get lucky and get stranded on that heavenly blessed deserted island of rum from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie do ya. A guy can dream can't he :D

Till next time, keep the ice cold and the blender warm.

[ Edited by: tikilee on 2004-07-20 13:08 ]

[ Edited by: tikilee on 2004-07-20 13:10 ]

S

Our "tour guide" on the water taxi told us that the only pirate ever executed in Florida was hung from a palm tree at the edge of what is now the Bahia Cabana. Right about where the water taxi pick up is there. Florida's pirate history is right ther at the Bahia Mar and the Bahia Cabana!

J
JTD posted on Sun, Jul 25, 2004 11:16 AM

Swanky,
Last night, I finally went down to the Conch House in St Augustine and listened to Hukilau performers "BIG Pineapple". They were super. Very mellow, very polished, very good! They played a wide variety of their original tunes, traditional hapa haole exotica and tunes from other genres that had been arranged for uke, double bass & steel guitar. My favorite (non-traditional) had to be their version of Danny Boy. Sounded very wistful, kinda like Sleepwalk, not weepy and sad.

I spoke to Gary, Randy and Rocky between sets and they are eagerly looking forward to the Hukilau, like the rest of us I guess. I could listen to them all day. Great choice.
-JTD

Edited for type-lexia

[ Edited by: jtd on 2004-07-25 14:53 ]

I am new to this forum and also this will be my first trip to Hukilau. Reading all these posts makes me even more excited! I can hardly wait! Plus, I've heard the Mai Kai puts all others to shame...

Just wanted to announce that the Bahia Cabana is now completely full - SOLD OUT! If anyone is still planning to book rooms for Hukilau we are still offering a discounted rate at the Bahia Mar. Be sure to get info on the website!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2004-08-04 15:24 ]

Woo-hoo! I'm in for Hukilau! Bahai Mar, Dinner Cruise, Friday show all in order. Now I just have to call the Mai Kai during hours when they have someone who knows a little more about tickets to the shows.

(I can't help humming the Hukilau song repeatedly at work.)

J
JTD posted on Thu, Aug 12, 2004 8:31 AM

Monkeyskull,
They just add $10 to your dinner if you're seated in the viewing area. No need to worry about tickets, just make sure your reservation includes the show.

JTD

WOWIE ZOWIE!!!!
Nice BOAT!!!
Wish I was coming with you kids!!!
HAve fun! I'm jealous!

Anyone know if the (2) hurricanes that are about to hit Tampa if they will be affecting Ft. Lauderdale or more importantly the Tikki Beach ship that the thursday night cruise will be on?

Well...now that my life has just allowed me more free time and I just got paid for a paid check I never knew I lost, I am able to buy a plane ticket to Florida so Hukilau here I come!!!

YAAAAAAAAYYYYY for Mrsmiley!!!

rather nice...

the tikki beach website

I was wondering if anybody would recommend renting a car or just getting there by Cab?
I am planning on attending all of the events at "The Hukilau" including the Mai Kai. I just don't think I need to rent a car.
If anybody know about Fort Lauderdale I would appreciate your wisdom!!!
THANX

S

The cab from the airport to the hotel is about $13. For Hukilau, we will call cabs and everyone piles in and splits it, so, a total of maybe $12 gets split in two or more. The hotel and airport are close together and the hotel and the Mai Kai are close (5 minutes). If you aren't going anywhere else, I would not get a rental car. If you are going to the Mai Kai any other times while you are there, I bet you'll find others in the hotel ready to share a cab as well.

S

OMG! Check out "I Belli di Waikiki"'s new costumes!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Hukilau!!!

Less than a month!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

p.s. who's going??? (on TC)(lurkers can post too!)

I am sooooooooo there!!!!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Later,
Spermy

On 2004-08-25 22:44, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I am sooooooooo there!!!!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Later,
Spermy

Hey! Score!! Sperm Whale is the first person who gets it right!!! It's Arrrrrrrr, not Arghhh. Geezus Khrist!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Walk the plank fools!

I got Hukilau in my blood!!

NNNNNNnnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhh!!!

Looked at my wife tonight, during dinner, and said "Know where we'll be in exactly one month?"

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Had I not already made the plans, I would be on the phone at this very moment 'cause I ain't gonna miss seein' them Italian guys in them get-ups.

Can't wait to see everybody!

good lord im ready for this....i been countin down the days for months now.....

HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU HUKILAU !!!!!!!!! God is it time to leave for the airport YET?!??!?!!?!?!

H

PPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLBBBBBBBBHLHHHH!

HUKILAU! Bought my plane tix today--anyone else taking the Wed night redeye JetBlue out of Long Beach? I'm taking out the sickly early morning flight out the following Wednesday.

HUKILAU!

we're driving - 18 hours ! arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

KK

Driving as well- you never know what you might see on the way across alligator alley. Orchid nursersies? Weekee-Watchee? Ah yes, the journey not just the destination.

On 2004-08-26 07:49, Kava King wrote:
Driving as well- you never know what you might see on the way across alligator alley. Orchid nursersies? Weekee-Watchee? Ah yes, the journey not just the destination.

RRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM

BBBBBBBAAAAAARRRRRRRRREEEEEEELLLLLLLLL'SSSS!!

MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Tuesday to Tuesday. Jet Bluuuuue!!

29 and counting.

Driving from Wisconsin... me, a cargo van, and a lot of tikis to keep me company...

Tell my sore arms and shoulders that they only have to carve 12 hours a day for another few weeks! :wink:

The first few drinks should deaden the pain though!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-08-26 09:44 ]

S

You'll be much cheered by the ohana I am sure Lake Surfer.

Yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

After 14 hours of travelling we'll be there at 8pm on Wednesday!!

I'll be there Thursday Afternoon. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
Only 27 more Dayz!!!
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

Polynesian Proud in conjunction with Hukilau is offering fresh flower leis for our guests. You can pre-order HERE. Supplies are limited, so order now! I'll take 5...for me...

On 2004-08-12 01:48, monkeyskull wrote:
(I can't help humming the Hukilau song repeatedly at work.)

Humming's one thing; sporting the coconut brassiere--even on "casual Friday"--is a bit of a stretch, though, don't you think? :wink: I'm in for Hukilau, too. By then, I figure to have flushed the final vestiges of monkeyskull's Int'l Tiki Day voodoo punch from my system.

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies