Name:Trad'r Sam
Type:bar
Street:6150 Geary Blvd
City:San Francisco
State:CA
Zip:94121
Phone:(415) 221-0773

Description:
Trader Sam's is a modern-day institution mixing a 1960's drink menu with a modern (sometimes too modern) crowd. Actually, Trader Sam's has quite a few surprises that make it quite interesting for both the classic connoisseur and the new Tiki Traditionalist.

T

martiki paid you to post that review, right Hanford? :wink:

You forgot to mention the "retro" sticky floor, and the unique experience of drinking polynesian cocktails out of salad bowls...

M

On 2004-02-25 11:58, thejab wrote:
martiki paid you to post that review, right Hanford? :wink:

Hey!

I like my drink in a salad bowl, dammit. I've said it before and I'll say it again: go early the avoid the the frat slobs. Find a corner and settle in. DON'T look too closely at what you're sitting on. I mean, it wouldn't be a dive bar if it was nice, right?

If you don't know what to get, try the Sabotage. It's not as sweet as some of the others. Also the Scorpion Bowl is good- made with the finest screw top mini champagne you can buy.

And who knows...if the stories are true, Trader Vic may have stolen the name from Sam!

Here's a 1949 photo and some info on Trad'r Sam, from outsidelands.org:

San Francisco's first television station was KPIX which went on the air in December 1948, followed by KRON & KGO in July 1949. The novelty of television was a big draw for bar customers, who could relax and enjoy the new technological miracle while sipping a relaxing beverage amidst the congeniality of old friends (it says here). Trad'r Sam's at 26th Avenue and Geary Blvd. made sure people knew they were wired in this 1949 photo.

M

Trad'r Sam's Update:

Just popped in for a quick one the other night and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that they have reupholstered the whole place! All the great rattan booths look good as new, and the whole place seemed like it had had a massive spring cleaning. You can really see all the great detail again, including the famous booths and the most incredible curved 1930s bar in town. Go see an old friend again- you'll be glad you did.

And the Sabotage was still good!

M

You know, in my continuing quest to see that Trad'r Sam's gets some respect...

Has anyone ever noticed that...

Trad'r Sam's is the OLDEST TIKI BAR ON PLANET EARTH

One location, in continuous operation since the 1930s.

How are the drink prices on Scorpion Bowls? How many people will they serve?

Thanks

M

On 2006-03-29 02:59, TraderJonah wrote:
How are the drink prices on Scorpion Bowls? How many people will they serve?

Thanks

I don't remember the price, but their bowls serve one "MIG"!
(TC member who always orders a bowl-type drink for himself during the crawl and holds it like it is his golden chalice!)

Photos compliments/stolen from Tikifish and MaiTai

What ever happened to that Mig Guy? Does he have a new name now?

H

He's got a new dame now. :wink: Seriously, he's about thisclose to married these days (to AppleVenus!), and we hardly get to see him anymore, even though they live right up the street.

On 2006-02-03 08:01, martiki wrote:
You know, in my continuing quest to see that Trad'r Sam's gets some respect...

Has anyone ever noticed that...

Trad'r Sam's is the OLDEST TIKI BAR ON PLANET EARTH

One location, in continuous operation since the 1930s.

Thank you!!!!! So true!!! I love Sam's. Unfortunately my Geary area friends have all moved away recently so I don't get over there much--the now-in-Portland pal particularly is longing for Sam's, the Geary Irish pubs, and the Valano in Vallejo. I keep pointing out that Portland has divine dive bars, but if it weren't for the Alibi he'd probably have opened a vein by now.

Anyway--Sam's rules!!!

S

I miss Trad'r Sams too!!! And Miggggggg!!!

Had a fun time with Mrs. DC at Trad'r Sams last time I was in SF. Stayed at a friends house who lived within walking distance so that was nice. The signature sign outside was busted that night, bummer to have missed that.

Came across some images of amazing old artifacts from Trad'r Sams, thought I should post them here.

DC

I finally found a reasonably priced Trad'r Sam matchbook.

And just for the heck of it, here's a picture of Tikitastic enjoying a very large pink drink. All of my photos from Trad'r Sam show absolutely none of the decor. (Not that there's a ton of decor to show.)

Trad'r Sams was listed in the Guardians top San Francisco dive bars...

San Francisco's famed Tonga Room features indoor rain showers in its tiki-themed splendour. The dive bar equivalent is Trad'r Sam (6150 Geary Boulevard, +415 221 0773) - no one knows what happened to the "e" - which features enough bamboo to choke a panda and, as an impressive touch, a pinball machine themed around Johnny Mnemonic - a terrible pre-Matrix Keanu Reeves film that hardly deserves to be eulogised in an arcade game).

The Guardian, Saturday 12 September 2009

Full article here - San Francisco's best dive bars
A real American drinking den should be dark, slightly seedy and full of local characters. Nowhere does the dive bar better than San Francisco.

A Trad'r Sam Napkin won by Bifcozz on ebay.

I still need to find that matchbook.

DC

[ Edited by: Dustycajun 2009-11-27 15:22 ]

I will have to hit this place up when I am up North around Christmas time.
Gotta dig the vintage rattan in there .

B

wow what are the chances of two napkins from tradr sam having the same exact stains and creases because the picture of the one im posting came in the mail to me last week

On 2009-11-27 13:47, bifcozz wrote:
wow what are the chances of two napkins from tradr sam having the same exact stains and creases because the picture of the one im posting came in the mail to me last week.

Biff,

Nice napkin, was not trying to get your knickers in a knot. I see stuff on ebay, you win a lot of it, then it goes into your vault... so I post the images here on TC for other people to see.

Why don't you try that sometime, you know, post your finds? I look at your past posts and see that you deleted everything from 2004 to 2007. What's Up??? Did someone make you mad?

DC

Here are a few photos of the decor from my visit.

DC

I gotta agree with Bifcozz on this one Dusty Cajun, I’m in favor of not posting things that you didn’t win. If he wants to post those things at a later date or not at all then that’s up to him. There are a lot of people who win great things and don’t post them; someone else posting their stuff could be one of the reasons? Which is too bad because the owner can provide close ups and backs of things find all kinds of details we may be missing. I have posted things that I have “Borrowed” from other sites, I don’t really like to and I prefer to stay away from auctions, I think more of us should do the same but sure download all the pictures you want but keep them for yourself. I'm also not a fan of the "Not my auction but look at this!" type of post What happened to the thrill of the hunt? but I'll save that rant for another time. These are only my opinions and although I’m sure they don’t mean very much I’m going to pretend they do.

Don’t forget that Bifcozz was kind enough to blow everyone’s mind twice this year with pictures of Ren Clark’s Home Bar and his Hawaii Kai collection. Also you can always ask questions in a PM. The reason I’m posting this here instead of a PM is because I can’t stand Trad’r Sam’s :lol:

Bora Boris,

While I respect your opinion and value your input, I don't agree with you on this one.

Ebay and the internet are public applications that anybody can use and see. If an amazing Tiki find is presented on ebay and I don't win it, then it is no crime to save the image and post it later. I have had times when items I purchased have been posted before I could do so, and I still participate in TC and post more information on the item.

My experience over that last few years is that there are several big time buyers of Tiki ephemera that troll Tiki Central to find information and seek knowledge without really participating - you know - giving back. They end up with 70% of the items that show up on auctions that are never to be seen again.

My 2 cents.

DC

I can understand your point Dusty Cajun but there are a lot of people that have a real sour grapes attitude towards other people’s collections and I think that may also be a factor. I’m not saying that this is you in fact you have been nice enough to share your awesome postcard collection with us. I remember when you first started posting your Barefoot Trader items and how exciting that was, I couldn’t wait for more and I still can’t. However saying that people are “Trolling” for information probably isn’t helping maybe if you said ”Trawling” instead that would be better. :D Anyway I can’t change your mind and I do like your posts so post what you like, it’s not a Tiki Central rule that you can’t post items that you didn’t win….. yet. :wink:

T

I personally think there's nothing wrong with posting pics of stuff from ebay, it IS a public forum. The fact that DC also credits the winner/owner is considerate....at least he's not making it sound like it's his when it isn't.

This site is all about sharing about our favorite subject....tiki....and these rare items are great to see. If I'm not mistaken, not everything in Sven's books are from HIS personal collection, right ?

If everyone kept to that stringent "post only what you own" philosophy, then there would be alot less eye candy on here.

I say, if you see something cool....post it.

On 2009-11-27 19:48, tikiyaki wrote:
The fact that DC also credits the winner/owner is considerate....at least he's not making it sound like it's his when it isn't."

• This isn't always the case.

"If I'm not mistaken, not everything in Sven's books are from HIS personal collection, right ?"

• Yes, that's true but the items are used with permission.

"If everyone kept to that stringent "post only what you own" philosophy, then there would be alot less eye candy on here."

• Or would there be more?

"I say, if you see something cool....post it.'

• I like seeing cool things too and I'd like to see more but I have an issue with the ownership. In the meantime hang on while I post some Tikiyaki Orchestra MP3s. :lol:

Any collectors want to comment on this? (Besides 1961surf :wink: ) I think it's a topic that should be discussed.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2009-11-27 20:05 ]

T

On 2009-11-27 20:04, Bora Boris wrote:

On 2009-11-27 19:48, tikiyaki wrote:
The fact that DC also credits the winner/owner is considerate....at least he's not making it sound like it's his when it isn't."

"If I'm not mistaken, not everything in Sven's books are from HIS personal collection, right ?"

• Yes, that's true but the items are used with permission.

"If everyone kept to that stringent "post only what you own" philosophy, then there would be alot less eye candy on here."

• Or would there be more?

"I say, if you see something cool....post it.'

• I like seeing cool things too and I'd like to see more but I have an issue with the ownership. In the meantime hang on while I post some Tikiyaki Orchestra MP3s. :lol:

Any collectors want to comment on this? (Besides 1961surf :wink: ) I think it's a topic that should be discussed.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2009-11-27 20:05 ]

Your definition of "ownership" with regards to Tikiyaki Orchestra mp3's is different.

That music is my creation. I own the copyright. In the case of a collectible, while the item is owned by the person who bought it, they are not the copyright owner. That like saying it's ok to post Led Zeppelin MP3's on a public forum because you own the CD.

Once again...it was posted on Ebay...it was for sale and is not a copyright infringement. Now, if he was SELLING the picture...that might be different. The person who took the picture would have a case.

Besides Boris...I know where you live :D (well, on Wednesday nites anyway)

Not if people horde their cool stuff away and don't show it to anyone. I don't see many of the big collectors on here posting pics of their cool stuff. Kudos to people like Tiki Kate and Psycho Tiki D who post alot of their great finds.

Well it was the case in this instance.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-11-27 20:22 ]

This is becoming a big quotey mess -

"Your definition of "ownership" with regards to Tikiyaki Orchestra mp3's is different."

Right but you could see how some people might argue differently, you've probably experienced it.

*"If everyone kept to that stringent "post only what you own" philosophy, then there would be alot less eye candy on here."

• Or would there be more?

Not if people horde their cool stuff away and don't show it to anyone. I don't see many of the big collectors on here posting pics of their cool stuff."*

I've seen it happen but it's not every day and it comes in bursts, when it happens it's cool, if it happened everyday it would be taken for granted. Honestly there used to me a lot more of this sort of thing but Tiki Central is not what it used to be.

*"The fact that DC also credits the winner/owner is considerate....at least he's not making it sound like it's his when it isn't.

Well it was the case in this instance."*

Yes but the post was edited to give credit.

So I know where you stand on this Tikiyaki and I know where DC stands, any other collectors want to chime in on this? I'm sounding like a nag and things are already gonna awkward the next time I run into Dusty Cajun and Tikiyaki. :roll:

[ Edited by: bora Boris 2009-11-27 20:48 ]

J

This is the oldest Tiki Bar on earth ?? I think I stumbled into this place 10 years ago but I had no idea.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Tropicals and that drink called the Sabotage ?? Does it also date back to the 1930's ??

Also with regards to posting pictures of napkins, I don't care where the image originates from as long as the napkin is clean. That thing was gross !! :)

T

On 2009-11-27 20:34, Bora Boris wrote:
This is becoming a big quotey mess -

"Your definition of "ownership" with regards to Tikiyaki Orchestra mp3's is different."

Right but you could see how some people might argue differently, you've probably experienced it and let's not even discuss album cover art :wink:

Touche', but I DID give credit to the photographer in the "Swingin' Sounds" CD credits. And to further my point, if not for the TC post by Sabu, I wouldn't even HAVE that album cover....he got thanked in the CD liner notes as well. And for the record, I didn't use the photo from his post...I was lucky enough to find that issue of Argosy Magazine.....talk about dumb luck.

As far the post being edited... I didn't realize that the pic was not credited at first. I'm still glad that the pic was made available. Still, being that Biff chimed in and was credit was given, I say fine.

I don't think people take this stuff for granted. Hopefully, there won't be another TC crash that destroys all the photos, like what happened a few years ago. TC is now the ultimate reference resource for all these places that no longer exist. I think it's a good thing. If this is the only record of this stuff in 20 years, then it's worth it.

As far as any awkwardness next time I see you, this kinda stuff doesn't bother me. Besides, I hated you long before this :wink:

As far as what TC "used to be"....Well...nothing gold can stay Ponyboy. I

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-11-27 20:59 ]

You got me! I posted that about the cover, I thought I was on a roll and was feeling good but then I checked it and saw that I was WRONG! I went back and removed it but it was too late you'd already quoted me. Ha! :lol:

It is a great cover, nicely done Jim!

I'm with DC on this one - I appreciate his posts and never cared if they were his items or not.

None of us own the copyrights to these images, so that is a non-issue.

T

:D Gotcha.

Like I said....I am really glad for post by Sven, Sabu, Kate, DC, and everyone else on here who posts images....It's fascinating to see all this stuff that I would never get to see otherwise.

Like I said, TC is THE public archive for all these great images now. I guess we all have our differing opinions on this subject, but for me the more eye candy the better.

Anyway, that drink at Trader Sam's that Tikitastic is having looks tasty...whatever it is.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-11-27 21:35 ]

B

DC
I don't have a problem with you posting the items I win on ebay. what I have a problem with is when you post them and make it seem like they are your items "here is a tradr sam napkin, I still need to find the matchbook" As far as me posting my winnings I dont need to, you do it for me.

Here it is again :down:

B

bora boris
thanks for standing up for the little guy

I am wondering about all those items on e-bay that are won by non-TC members, and that would indeed disappear from view if folks like DC do not clip them? Those are important reference pieces for us here on TC, to know what all is out there. I am very grateful that some members diligently scan e-bay and post what they think relates to certain threads, it's part of TC's fun to bring the ephemera puzzle for a place a little closer to completion. I do that in my books, I pull images from all available sources, put them into context and thus expand their meaning. And I get to do so in large part thanks to the generosity of my friends and collectors who gladly share their possessions for the spreading TIKI awareness.

On 2009-11-27 22:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am wondering about all those items on e-bay that are won by non-TC members, and that would indeed disappear from view if folks like DC do not clip them? Those are important reference pieces for us here on TC, to know what all is out there. I am very grateful that some members diligently scan e-bay and post what they think relates to certain threads, it's part of TC's fun to bring the ephemera puzzle for a place a little closer to completion. I do that in my books, I pull images from all available sources, put them into context and thus expand their meaning. And I get to do so in large part thanks to the generosity of my friends and collectors who gladly share their possessions for the spreading TIKI awareness.

What HE said. :)

Bifcozz,

I used to post the name of the winner of the ebay items that I grabbed images from and got a PM asking me not to do that any more, so I stopped. In the future, I will make sure that if I post an image from an item that you won on ebay I will cite that you own the item if that is what you want.

I understand your point on how my original post was constructed, it was misleading and not my intention. I was actually referring to Tiki-Kate's Trad'r Sam matchbook that I have been trying to get for a long time. I won it once on ebay and it was never shipped to me... but I digress.

I would hope that you can find the time to post more of your amazing collection here on TC. The main reason I add the images from the unique items I see on ebay is that they end up dissapearing into private collections never to be seen again.

DC

It's been a while since I posted on this one. Kind of sorry that Bifcozz got mad at me before.

I finally got a Trad'r Sams matchbook, it's one of those cool little midgets.

I also saw a different matchbook variety on ebay that advertised the signature drink as the Banana Cow.

Anybody been lately? Is the neon sign working these days?

DC

T
Tiare posted on Sun, May 5, 2013 10:46 AM

There was a short article about Trad'r Sams in the local paper. Here is the link and the article.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/entertainment/food-and-wine/2013/04/san-francisco-bar-trad-r-sam-s-whips-icy-drinks-tiki-setting

San Francisco bar Trad’r Sam whips up icy drinks in tiki setting
By: Brendan P. Bartholomew | 04/25/13 8:14 PM

Get cozy in one of the ornate rattan booths, and you might feel like you have journeyed back to a 1930s-era tiki lounge. And while the “Star Wars”-themed pinball machine and flat-screen TVs showing sports and Hong Kong action films serve as reminders of the modern era, one look at the tropical drink menu’s prices will convince you that it’s 1995 — the potent Scorpion Bowl, for instance, serves four and costs just $14. And most of the delightful ice cream and liqueur drinks are just $6.50. Trad’r Sam has been a fixture in the Outer Richmond district since Sam Baden opened it in 1937. Dorothy Riedel and her brother, John Munguia, have been in charge since their parents bought the bar from its second owner in 1978. Bartender Fred Sor came onboard 13 years ago. Fred got his start at a sports bar in San Mateo. Because Trad’r Sam is popular with college students, Sor is politely aggressive about checking IDs. And his passion for Asian cinema led him to declare that every Monday at the bar is officially Asian Movie Night.

Trad’r Sam, 6150 Geary Blvd., (415) 221-0773, no website

Blender drinks are so much work that some bartenders will just lie and claim the blender’s broken. Do you ever feel tempted to do that?

No, I’m totally used to making blender drinks, and I wouldn’t have the option anyway because we have six blenders.

How much ice cream do you go through in a night?

It’s hard to say. It’s either all or nothing. If somebody orders an ice cream drink, then everybody who sees it wants one. If it’s a cold night, on the other hand, then nobody orders them.

Back in the 1990s, Trad’r Sam’s seemed to draw a young crowd. Is that still the case?

We get a decent mix, but I do notice a lot of younger people, a lot of kids from USF and S.F. State.

Do you get any “crusty, old salt”-type characters?

Well we usually open by noon, so yeah, some of those.

Which Asian movies are you particularly excited about?

I’m a huge Stephen Chow fan. He’s known for doing kung fu comedies with lots of slapstick humor, films like “Kung Fu Hustle” and “Shaolin Soccer.” When I bring his movies in, they really draw people’s attention.

What does that tattoo on your forearm mean?

It’s me and my brother’s names, but if you put them together it kind of means “victory.”

Chocolate Banana

1 oz. rum
½ oz. banana liqueur
½ oz. creme de cacao
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
½ banana
Half and half (eyeball the amount)
Blend with ice. Line inside of sundae-style glass with chocolate syrup before adding blender contents. Top with whipped cream.

--
I live near here and sadly never see the sign lit up.

Denise

Found this early photo of Trad'r Sam from 1941.

The picture was included in a form that was written to petition the State to make the Tonga Room at the Fairmont a registered historical landmark.

DC

Love the above photo, DC. Here are a few more:

T
Tiare posted on Sun, Dec 18, 2016 9:43 PM

They really need to bring back the pith helmets!

Thanks for posting the photos, now I want a banana cow.

Denise

Here are a few photos I took of the pictures on the wall the last time I was at Tradr Sam.

The Pith Helmet bar crew.

The Bamboo Bar.

I am assuming this is the original owner Sam Baylon.

Cool looking bamboo mugs hanging from the bar.

DC

Nice pics --- really reminds me of why I like the smaller, more intimate places. Mid-century people had a very nice cocktail culture which I'm not sure is ever going to fully return to American living rooms. But we can sure keep trying to nudge that along.

Pages: 1 2 58 replies