Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Wall Covering for Home Bar

Pages: 1 13 replies

I am starting to upgrade my Tiki room by adding the matting/reeds to my walls. I wanted to know how you keep the matting on the walls nice and flat? I want to avoid using glue or tons of staple holes if possible. I have matting on my ceiling and it sags. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thanks!!!! (I tried doing a search for this and came up with nothing, so if there are other posts, please let me know)

[ Edited by: TikiTrevor on 2004-02-26 10:27 ]

Hi TT,
Maybe you could get some 6'x 3" (or longer) lengths of cheap wood trim and glue them about three feet apart to the matting and then screw at each end of the trim to the ceiling. This will limit the amount of screws and prevent the sagging.
Good luck.

I've never tried this, but my first reaction would be to get some masonite or foamcore or some other type of flat panel. Hot glue the matting to the panels and then just hang 'em with a few screws.

-Z

Hey tikitrevor -
I used drywall screws along the top and bottom of the reed mats (mine are actually rugs I bought at IKEA) stretching out the mats as I went. Turned out pretty nice.
I then covered the drywall screws with split bamboo.
Drywall screws are nice because they hold very well in almost any type of wall. Also, cleanup is pretty easy - just add a little patching, sand it and you're done! (if you're a renter, that is.)
Hope this helped.

While we're on the subject,is there a home improvement store anywhere that stocks reed fencing any more? The manager at Home Depot said that they haven't stocked it for a while and my local garden and statuary store wants a hefty $55 bucks a roll.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2004 7:27 PM

Home Depot here stocks it. $21.97 for 16' x 6'. Great deal.

On 2004-02-26 19:27, Kono wrote:

Not in my hood, I may have to go on a Home Depot National Tour

K
Kono posted on Thu, Feb 26, 2004 8:16 PM

On 2004-02-26 20:02, naugatiki wrote:

On 2004-02-26 19:27, Kono wrote:

Not in my hood, I may have to go on a Home Depot National Tour

Since it's obviously available to Home Depot stores, maybe you can convince your local HD to order some.

P

naugatiki,

Bamboo Hardwoods in Seattle is a great local resource for all sorts of wall covering.
Their warehouse down by Safeco Field stocks more than their retail store on Roosevelt :

http://www.bamboohardwoods.com/

Thanks pumana, I live 2 hours for the nearest Home Depot among feed stores and cattle farms and a day trip to Seattle might give me a good excuse to check out the tiki bowling lanes over there. When I was at Home Depot last week I had to talk to 3 people to find one that even knew what reed fencing was.

Don't get your hopes up too high about Leilani Lanes -- all the tiki has been pretty well stripped out.

Hi Humu2,
Do you have plans to rebuild the awesome Humuhumu Room? I know moving puts everything in the back burner.
Just Wonderin,
UB

UB - not until I buy a house. It'll be another year, at least. I'm building it in my head, though. :wink:

On 2004-02-27 12:36, Humuhumu wrote:
UB - not until I buy a house. It'll be another year, at least. I'm building it in my head, though. :wink:

better than a "playground in my mind!"

Pages: 1 13 replies