Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The BEST private tiki backyard-close to where I grew up!

Pages: 1 2 87 replies

A

And don't forget about the great Basque food! I've visited Bakersfield several times, and there are parts that are quite lovely. I also remember the valley fog - so thick you couldn't even cut it with a knife...

amiotiki

... don't forget the skatepark...

... skateparks rule...

Oh my GOD!! I think I found my dream house!!!!

Awww!!! These photos aren't showing up for me at home (cable modem) or at work (T1 line). Am I doomed to rely on my own scurvy imagination?

(Bahookahuna bangs head on desk in frustration and disappointment)

I hope Sven can capture and preserve what sounds like a real Shangri-la of backyard Bali Hais (pardon the mixed metaphor).

H

On 2007-04-11 19:38, Bahookahuna wrote:
Awww!!! These photos aren't showing up for me at home (cable modem) or at work (T1 line). Am I doomed to rely on my own scurvy imagination?

(Bahookahuna bangs head on desk in frustration and disappointment)

I hope Sven can capture and preserve what sounds like a real Shangri-la of backyard Bali Hais (pardon the mixed metaphor).

The photos used to display but it appears that the links are now obsolete.

Unfortunately you'll probably never see the pictures as Laney (aka Eel) has been banned from Tiki Central and is not allowed back to fix her links.

BTW the backyard in the photos was simply spectacular.

[The photos used to display but it appears that the links are now obsolete.

Unfortunately you'll probably never see the pictures as Laney (aka Eel) has been banned from Tiki Central and is not allowed back to fix her links.

Hakalugi, thanks for the info. Too curious now -- why the ban? Do you know? (Then I can watch my own step!)

Bahookahuna

CL

Understanding your curiosity, that's ancient history. Probably do not want to go there. Only a few people in TC history have been banned. They were banned after repeated warnings. If you're concerned, here are the TC rules. http://www.tikicentral.com/tikicentral/rules.htm.

Typically if there's an issue of flagrant disregard of the rules, a moderator will send a private PM and try to work it out.

On 2007-04-11 19:59, Bahookahuna wrote:

[The photos used to display but it appears that the links are now obsolete.

Hakalugi, thanks for the info. Too curious now -- why the ban? Do you know? (Then I can watch my own step!)

Bahookahuna

On 2007-04-11 19:59, Bahookahuna wrote:

(Then I can watch my own step!)

Don't worry Bahookahuna, it takes a lot to get banned. I outlined the process here in this post:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18755&forum=1&vpost=220376

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2007 8:32 PM

When are you going to ban Ruzic?

It's too bad about the pictures, and a great reason as to why we now have image hosting I would imagine. I vaguely remember them from when I first joined TC. The backyard was truly amazing. Not quite "OnaTiki" amazing, but considering that it was classic it was something to behold.

Chris

J

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2007-04-29 10:29 ]

On 2007-04-24 13:08, JohnnyP wrote:
I think these are the pictures that were posted.
If this was the wrong house let me know and I'll delete these!

Hope it helps

JP

JohnnyP,

Wow! Thanks for posting those! Worth the short wait. That truly is a splendid backyard. The first pic looks like a vintage postcard from an old tiki-themed hotel. Another pic reinforces my growing need -- confirmed as well by a visit to the Hanalei Hotel this past weekend -- to add a giant clam shell to my own backyard Bali Hai. (Maybe one of OA's plastic renditions; less $$$.)

On 2007-04-24 05:51, Kona Chris wrote:
The backyard was truly amazing. Not quite "OnaTiki" amazing, but...
Chris

Kona Chris,

What's OnaTiki?

G

On 2007-04-24 15:23, Bahookahuna wrote:

On 2007-04-24 05:51, Kona Chris wrote:
The backyard was truly amazing. Not quite "OnaTiki" amazing, but...
Chris

Kona Chris,

What's OnaTiki?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9252&forum=7&start=60&hilite=yard

HEY!!! Those look like pictures of my backyard.

Wait a minute...I just woke up. This is what I am dreaming my backyard looks like.

Thanks for posting the pictures. What a wonderful way to spend the hours away in a paradise like this. I sure hope it still looks the same.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but I am only dreaming)!

On 2007-04-24 16:19, GatorRob wrote:

On 2007-04-24 15:23, Bahookahuna wrote:

Kona Chris,

What's OnaTiki?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9252&forum=7&start=60&hilite=yard

SWEEEET. Will dream about the OnaTiki hot lava pool tonight. Someone needs to do a book of tiki backyards.

Wait.... Laney, you had a lamb growing up?!

On 2007-04-24 20:01, Bahookahuna wrote:
SWEEEET. Will dream about the OnaTiki hot lava pool tonight. Someone needs to do a book of tiki backyards.

I would love to photograph them if someone had a list of all of the best ones and we could get permission from all the owners! :wink:

I love that idea...A BOOK OF HOME LOUNGES AND TIKI BACKYARDS. That would be so cool and inspiring. Just don't put any addresses on Craig's List. :D

On 2007-04-26 01:33, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:

On 2007-04-24 20:01, Bahookahuna wrote:

I would love to photograph them if someone had a list of all of the best ones and we could get permission from all the owners! :wink:

Dr.TikiMojo,

You serious? And are you a professional photographer? Because if you are, I'm a writer and professional editor, and would entertain the idea of a collaboration!

Bahookahuna

Look not into the eyes of the idol...

[ Edited by: Bahookahuna 2007-04-26 10:21 ]

Is there anyway to get the pictures back up? I would love to see them again. It really is the coolest yard.

See page 4, post 9 from the top. I never got the chance to photograph it, sadly. These kind of original backyard Shangri-Las do exist throughout Southern California, but never are discovered because they are hidden from the street. Only individual personal knowledge can reveal them.

Awww mang! I was hoping to see the pics too :( Can anyone revive the linky poo?

it was too amazing!!

D

I may have downloaded copies of the pix when they were posted. I will look through my stuff and see if I do indeed have them.

D

BTW - any word on this backyard today? Does it still exsist?

Only Laney knows, it was her neighbor. Since she is not OUR neighbor anymore, we will never know.

Blast it, I ran across this in a Google search and thus missed out on the pics as well. Anyone still have them? The descriptions in the first post are drool-worthy!

Yeah - unfortunatly TC booted off Laney a long time ago. Even though she was a great contributer to the site. Eel Rawks!!

D

OK. I promised I would find these and here they are. I had filed them under "Ultimate Back Yard", which I must say sums it up pretty well:

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2008-08-09 22:11 ]

P

Eels are like Lampreys.
Lampre is a team on Le Tour.
Eel is on the Tour.
There's a Tiki Bicycle thread.
I think Eel should be brought back even though she's electric.

T

SWEET! Thanks so much for posting those Digitiki! One of the peeves of going through the ancient scrolls around here is the little squares ya get instead of the pics.
Think I'll start copy/pasting all photos I come across now....

[ Edited by: twitch 2008-07-24 19:54 ]

D

bump! And this thread is well worth bumping!

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Jul 30, 2008 8:12 PM

On 2008-07-30 14:28, Digitiki wrote:
bump! And this thread is well worth bumping!

WOW very true, that is an amazing yard!

I just found this thread. Here is a bump for those that haven't seen these pictures.

From reading the beginning of this thread, I saw that 10 years ago bigbrotiki tried to get more photos of that backyard and even asked about existence of photos of their luaus in the 60's. Did this ever happen? I wonder what this place looks like now.

(Re-reading this thread, I just saw that the original pics were posted by someone no longer on TC and had to be re-posted later. VERY cool backyard.)

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2012-10-17 09:08 ]

Glad the photos got reposted! I have actually went through every post on the "Home Tiki Bars" thread and saved the photos of all the notable home tiki bars. Kind of a personal research database. Am adding these photos to the "Backyards" section. The listing is at about 75 home tiki bars. It would've been a lot more difficult to compile without TC!

On 2012-10-17 11:31, LostIsland wrote:
I have actually went through every post on the "Home Tiki Bars" thread and saved the photos of all the notable home tiki bars. Kind of a personal research database. Am adding these photos to the "Backyards" section.

That's a very good idea! I recently put my money where my mouth is and bought a bigger home partly so that I can expand my indoor and outdoor tiki environments. I will eventually also begin looking for, and implementing, ideas and concepts that I like.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 17, 2012 8:25 PM

Here's a link to another amazing back yard find :

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32170&forum=1

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 17, 2012 8:31 PM

damned website. double post again!!!!

[ Edited by: GROG 2012-10-17 20:34 ]

Pages: 1 2 87 replies