Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Are your dreams ever tiki-related? If so, please share!

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies

This is still one of my favorite threads, by the way...I just love reading about everyone's dreams. They're amazing. Unfiltered...what people really think about Tiki!

OK, it's obvious that Stentiki's dream was the manifestation of all the love that TC was sending his way while he was recovering. At least to me anyway...so, when I go into labor, can you all send me good thoughts to get the little pineapple out quickly :) Or at least send Martiki up in a lab coat and cocktail shaker!
mrs. pineapple

You know, Mrs. Pineapple, I didn't even think about that!! Do you really think that that was what was happening? If that's the case I think it's remarkable.

S

On 2005-08-11 22:15, mrs. pineapple wrote:
OK, it's obvious that Stentiki's dream was the manifestation of all the love that TC was sending his way while he was recovering. At least to me anyway...so, when I go into labor, can you all send me good thoughts to get the little pineapple out quickly :) Or at least send Martiki up in a lab coat and cocktail shaker!
mrs. pineapple

You got it! I definitely felt the Tiki love and good mana from TC. And we will send the same to you and the Pineapple family as well. Best wishes!

The other night I drempt about going into an Archie McPhee store and spotting a giant skull mug on a top shelf.

The thing that was odd is that the skull mug was made from red fur, and it was winking. I think I'm going to have to sew one of these up. It was so cool and different.

I wonder if SweetDaddyTiki's Bright Red Dia de los Muertos shirt had anything to do with it?

(Image by Exoticat - hard to see the shirt, but it has skulls on it)

I was the geisha who left the trumpet :wink:

But seriously, it makes perfect sense to me! Dreams are playback of all the stuff that goes on in your subconscious mind. We're glad you're back!
mrs. pineapple

I had a dream that a tiki was riding a train and went into a tunnel....

On 2005-08-11 19:40, mrs. pineapple wrote:
I had a dream the other night, the Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa and Iuka Grogg had opened a tiki bar in an old train car. Me, and Mr Pineapple and some other people (maybe Martiki and Rebecca??) were there, having drinks, enjoying ourselves, there were ukuleles.

Sounds a lot like the Reno Fun Train trip last year, except the Pineapples weren't there.

On 2005-08-12 12:52, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2005-08-11 19:40, mrs. pineapple wrote:
I had a dream the other night, the Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa and Iuka Grogg had opened a tiki bar in an old train car. Me, and Mr Pineapple and some other people (maybe Martiki and Rebecca??) were there, having drinks, enjoying ourselves, there were ukuleles.

Sounds a lot like the Reno Fun Train trip last year, except the Pineapples weren't there.

hmmmm, but Jab was, and I think he was in the dream/train/tiki bar with us. We had seen him and the Cates, recently... hmmmmm. I think it was my longing for a mai tai! The tiki train looked a lot like the Novato Grotto, which we had been to recently, and we were telling the Tangaroa's of it's incredible beauty and tikiness. And we were telling them about the night Santa visited the Novato Grotto, and the crazy Christmas house, AND that night there was a uke jam.... it's rum with drawl. hmmmmmm

S

Last night I dreamt that Tina and I were on our way to Tahiti. We were greeted by Tahitian dancers and uke players was we boarded our boat taking us to Bora Bora. I was really excited because that last time I was there, I didn't get all the Tikis I wanted. I was also looking forward picking up a Tahitian uke. I thought, maybe King Kukulele can give me some lessons!

When we reach port, I had to whizz really bad so I told Tina I would meet here in port. Phil Hartman was there and he pointed me in the direction of the men's room. As I was standing at the trough, a bunch nerds came into the men's room together to pee shouting out, "nerd alert, nerd alert!"

After I finished my business I went out to the Bora Bora port terminal and Rachel Dratch from SNL was sleeping naked in the lobby covered with a blanket. She was petting my cat and told me that she was "resting" in between sets.

In all this activity I kinda lost Tina. She was nowhere to be found in the port area. I walked outside and Chrissy (my niece who was recently with me in Mexico) was there.

Chrissy said, "Tina is waiting for you at Bloody Mary's."

"Are you coming with us?" I asked.

"No, Jon & I are going to Washington DC." But we'll see you on Sunday," she said.

"Okay, we'll see you on Sunday," I replied

(They are coming to visit us this Sunday).

I walked outside and up the narrow road lined with palm trees and volcanic mountains. At the end of the road, Tina was waiting for me with mai tais at the world famous Bloody Mary's on Bora Bora.

Arty, you had a tiki related pee dream! Mr. Pineapple tells me off dreams where for whatever reason the bathroom is unaccessible (nerds, marching bands, what have you) and then he wakes up and has to pee. It must be a guy thing...

He's gonna be mad at me for posting about pee dreams...

On 2002-08-16 11:08, Tangaroa wrote:
So this isn't tiki - but it has a monkey.....
So, I'm back living at my parents house for some reason, and there is a knock at the door. I answer it to find a large (but very old) chimpanzee with flaming red eyes, wearing one of those powder blue tuxedos from the 70s with a giant lapel. With incredible force, he grabs my arm & drags me outside - never letting his gaze drop from my eyes.
I begin to scream.
I then wake up in a cold sweat....

Last night I drempt of a newly-opened "Tiki-Coffee House" which was very lacking in both Tiki and Coffee. The dream was so full of the proprietary names of companies and products (a popular hotel chain and soft drink company) that I'll get myself involved in a libel suit if I go into detail.

....So instead I'll talk about my monkey dream!:

I was driving around with my friend Ian in this nearby progressively hip village. We stopped at this store that niether of us had seen before. The store was full of all kinds of gourmet candy and sodas. I bought some kind of soda called "Blind-Monkey". We got back in the car and I started driving down the road, drinking our sodas. On approaching the intersection, I discovered this beverage was causing me to become blind!!!

[ Edited by: FreakBear 2005-08-15 21:15 ]

M

My dream last night involved water sports (kayaking-you pervs!), vespas, and shelves of mostly unglazed tiki mugs many of which where Mr Bali Hai. I got the guy to lower his price to $8.oo each!

A

Not super tiki related, but there's a connection I can draw...

Sometimes I talk in my sleep. Not "talk" so much, but more like speak out a single sentence, or sometimes a single word. A year or two ago in the middle of the night, to the perplexed amusement of my wife, I blurted out, "Hegenberger". This has since become the keyword we both use for "you're just dreaming, go back to sleep." Hegenberger is a road in Oakland, and an exit off the 880 freeway, and also just a fun word to say in general.

So what's the tiki connection? Well, mrsmiley's UGH house can be reached from the Hegenberger exit. Maybe I was giving directions on a dream visit to the tiki room there.

-Randy

M

On 2005-08-26 11:58, aquarj wrote:
Not super tiki related, but there's a connection I can draw...

Sometimes I talk in my sleep. Not "talk" so much, but more like speak out a single sentence, or sometimes a single word. A year or two ago in the middle of the night, to the perplexed amusement of my wife, I blurted out, "Hegenberger". This has since become the keyword we both use for "you're just dreaming, go back to sleep." Hegenberger is a road in Oakland, and an exit off the 880 freeway, and also just a fun word to say in general.

So what's the tiki connection? Well, mrsmiley's UGH house can be reached from the Hegenberger exit. Maybe I was giving directions on a dream visit to the tiki room there.

-Randy

zazz!! (or maybe you were just hungry for a "Hegen-Burger" Yes there is a burger stand called that!)

Okay, I had another one. These tiki dreams of mine tend to be pretty simple, but they look nice. This one had me on some new job. I go outside for a break and find myself standing in a residential area on a hill. I glance down a street, and notice that the house nearest me has a carved stone tiki sitting in front near the street. This seems unusual, and then I notice that four or five houses ALL have tikis in front. And they all have polished glass jewels in their eyes. Very glittery and nice.

And again--just like in one of the other dreams--my first thought after recovering from how nice the tikis look is, "I gotta go to Tiki Central and tell those people about this street!"

T

On 2005-08-13 11:00, mrs. pineapple wrote:
Mr. Pineapple tells me off dreams where for whatever reason the bathroom is unaccessible (nerds, marching bands, what have you) and then he wakes up and has to pee. It must be a guy thing...

No no this is common, and definitely not a guy thing! Never had nerds or marching bands though. usually I cant find it, or the bathroom stalls have no doors (so people can see me) or is flooded and dirty so I cant use it. Ewww!

And then I wake up and have to go!

I can honestly say nightly... HOWEVER... they're not exactly "Tiki dreams" (although some of them are) but rather "Tiki Business Awakenings". I'm not sure how to classify them. I mean I'm sleeping and then I wake up because it has something to do with Tiki Farm. So therefore I must be thinking about it while I'm sleeping. I wish they'd go away... at least a couple of nights per week would be nice.
Mahaloz,
Holden

T

I just woke up mpments from a fabulous tiki dream, I was at a church sale and started finding tikis EVERYWHERE. Well actually I was supposed to represent my mom at some old lady chuirch function cause my mom couldnt come, but the old ladies were having a flea market on the side... At first there were no mugs but then if you looked closely at the shelves, they would start to reveal themselves to you..... you'd see faces amongst the knick knacks, peering out. The best was a Kon Tiki Montreal mug that looked like a black Tiki Bob except with an ass like Shecky... tiki candle holders.... giant mugs. Westwoods with lids. Strange Moai mugs. All sorts of weird and wondeeful mugs I had never seen before. Mugs from Seattle bars long gone. I filled up a shopping bag with mugs and STILL there were more mugs coming!

Finally one old lady came to get me and was getting upset I was missing the meeting, so I reluctantly left the sale. I picked up my baby (I suddenly had a cute roly poly asian baby boy) and gave him the Montreal mug to play with. On the way to the meeting I passed tome TC people I didnt know and we compared mug finds. Everyone had found good stuff but I had found the best I thought, with my Montreal mug.

Then I went to the old lady meeting, but as I was sitting in the meeting, I spied more mugs in a back room, and made an excuse that I needed to take care of my fussing baby, and took off to shop more. Suddenly I was naked but I found a vintage dress & bra fairly quickly in the shop & threw it on. I went to the back room and it was full of 'Mextiki' and 'Textiki' - hybrid tikis of a sort, and I filled another bagfull! I also found some hawaiian curtains and a giant quilt that TC people had been secretly embroidering for me, that said WELCOME TIKIFISH! But had little farm animals on it.

[ Edited by: tikifish 2005-09-27 03:56 ]

Oh my goodness! I just woke up from a really weird dream reminiscent of a certain TV movie starring Karen Black...I had received some kind of tiki statue in the mail and it had a really ugly wrinkled face. Every so often I would look at it and its face would move and it would turn its head. It was really alive you see but it was just pretending to be a statue. Well to make a long story short the thing starts running around and I end up practically wrecking the room trying to get it, but it slips out the door and gets away! It was weirder than any movie.....

So there I was at a speedway gas station in a red convertible that I think was mine. I stopped for a bowl of beer that was sold to me by a woman at a stand in the middle of the parking lot. I was on my way home which was only a few blocks away. I placed the bowl of beer on the seat next to me and began to drive.
Somehow, I took a wrong turn and went down a hill and ended up in a light industrial/warehouse sort of neighborhood. It was littered with old forgotten tiki bars.
None of them were open, but I decided to take some pictures of them to post on the boards here.
I noticed a big silver bus that was painted with red flames and had the words "All male sexy roller coaster riding team" written across the side. It was parked next to a turquoise tiki hut.
I stopped to focus my camera....I woke up
If only I had a Jungian therapist.
Do you dream of Tiki?

P

i studied jungian therapy.

seriously. i'd have to think of that for a bit. i'll let you know.

topics merged.

Pee-pee dreams, ahh ...yes, I'll never forget this pee dream I had where I was in this giant bathroom with a maze of urinals and huge stalls with giant throne sized toilets. I had to go soooo bad but I'd whip it out and these giggling creepy, pervy old ladies would pop out around the corner each time. I'd try to escape them passing canals and and all sorts of water works in the uber bathroom but they wouldn't leave me alone. Thank god I finally woke up. The biggggg bathroom has appeared in various forms since but never so big, or weird.

This dream wasn't exactly Tiki related but it was entirely Tiki Central related...

Late Monday night I was going over the Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar thread and looking up loosely related images from the movie The Lady From Shanghai. In a collection of stills from the movie I saw this picture which apparently is outside the Sunsing Theatre.

Later that night I dreamed I was in San Francisco circa 1950, driving a big car and dressed very similarly to our friend here:

I parked my car in the parking lot of the Sunsing Theatre. I was with a gal who was wearing a strapless evening dress that was silvery gray and covered in fringe. As she got out of the car I noticed the dress reminded me of a hula skirt.

We headed to the entrance of the Sunsing and saw there was a group of men in suits outside. The owner of the Sunsing, an Asian American woman dressed in Chinese style red silk, and some of her staff, all large men in suits, were keeping the group of men from entering.

I realized the men the owner was confronting were all members of an organized crime gang that was a rival to the gang I was in.

The owner of the Sunsing Theatre was firmly explaining to the men that though she welcomed their business on weekends they were not allowed in on weeknights as that was when my gang came there.

The other gang were clearly not happy with this and seemed to want to make a scene but were obviously wary of having an all out confrontation with my gang.

At this point I was wondering if my date and I should leave since I'd been seen by the other gang arriving in my car and I wasn't sure if it'd be in such great shape when I came out of the theater.

Then some big mucky muck in my gang rolled into the parking lot. He was feared enough by the rival gang that when they saw him they decided thye'd go somewhere else.

The big shot got out of his car and asked me what had been going on. I told him it was nothing. Then he asked who my date was and I introduced them realizing she would now no longer be my date.

D
David posted on Thu, Aug 21, 2008 6:23 AM

It happens to me all the time that I look at some pictures or a movie and afterwards I dream of either being in that movie or wearing the same style of clothes.

W

This morning I woke up from a dream where there was much buzz and excitement here on Tiki Central because members could now have little Tiki mug icons next to their names.

There were a lot of icons to choose from but one member, a self proclaimed "wild and crazy" guy named Denimtiki because he had this fixation on the 1970s post-hippie overuse of denim in clothing and interior decoration, was wishing he could get an icon of a denim covered Tiki mug.

"My dream tiki mug would be covered in denim and have a clip on it where you could hang your floppy sun hat when drinking at the tiki bar!!!" Denimtiki posted.

I read his post and once again had the thought I've occasionally had in real life, "Why is this guy even into Tiki?"

FM

Since I read Sven's Tiki Pop book, I've been having lots of Tiki dreams. They usually entail me going back in time somehow and trying to find out where the nearest tiki joint is at so that I can go and hang out. Last night, I visited a restaurant called the Aku Aku (not the Vegas one, it's a dream), and it had two A frames in the front, a bit rundown, and a big black Moai off to the side. I went in and the restaurant was on the first floor and the bar was on the second, so I made my way up the steps quickly. I asked about their mugs, but they only had generic ones for sale and the cool ones with the name on them were not. I was so disappointed. Crazy Al was up there carving wood, which I thought was cool. A dream with a cameo appearance.
Last week I found a Kono Hawaii ashtray from the defunct Santa Ana restaurant and the same night I had a dream that I went there. Never having gone there in real life, it seems my imagination filled in the blanks for me.

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies