Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Kon Tiki, Tucson, AZ (bar)

Pages: 1 2 85 replies

WoooHooooo 50 more days!!!! Do you think we could fill The Smugglers Inn's 150 rooms with TCers???

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-03-04 10:57 ]

WoooooHoooooo! A Weekend of Fun in The Sun at The Smuggler's Inn, The Craftsmanship of The Notorious Bamboo Ben, Limited Edition Tiki Mugs and Scorpion Bowls by Tiki Farm, The Smokin Menehunes, Official Event Posters by Doug Horne, and a Night with Wild Native TCers at The Kon Tiki. How could you miss this event??
WooHooWahine
http://www.packyoursuitcase.joystar.com

WoooHoooo! The following people are in for The Tiki Central Takeover at The Smugglers Inn April 21st -23rd. If you are interested in booking a room (Standard Rooms $59 or Suites $79 with Breakfast and COCKTAIL Reception Daily) PM me ASAP!!:

Soccer Tiki
WooHoo Wahine
Lovevw181 + 1
Tiki-Tina & Bamboo Boyd
BettyBleu & TikiBrini

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-03-06 06:46 ]

I've been holding back on my review of the Kon-Tiki in Tucson for a little over a month, but I guess I'll go ahead and post it. Basically it comes in 3 parts. Part I: Tucson is actually a pretty cool city! I was pretty surprised that I liked it so much, but it was actually a pleasant place. Part II: The people at Kon-Tiki were really great. Even the non-tiki loving girl I went with remarked about how friendly everyone was. The food was pretty good too, I had the Teriyaki burger, and would probably head back to Kon-Tiki just to repeat the burger. Part III: The ambiance was wonderful. After about 5 minutes I was relaxed enough to really kick back and enjoy myself. The rum might have helped a bit...but the age of the place was definitely not obvious (not alot of dust or chipped paint that I noticed, at least.) I really wish I could head out for the grand-reopening but alas, limited funds and limited travel time mean limited options. All in all, I'd say a good solid 2 thumbs up from me :).

tekoteko

D

I anything happening this Memorial Day weekend at Kon Tiki? Mrs. DigiTiki and I are going to be visiting and definately stopping by for libations!

Digitiki, Mr cheeky half and I might be able to meet you there. What day/days will you be in town?

D

Planning on being there Sat, Sun & Mon, but now the wife is comeing down with something, so it looks like we may have to cancel the trip. Argghhh!!!

Sorry to hear that. Let us know if you do make it into town.

Soccer Tiki and I had another Tiki-rrific Trip to The Kon Tiki in Tucson

We were able to meet up with The Cheeky Halfs, Kona Kris, and Becca

Kelly makes the "Best" Scorpions in Tucson

Some New Merchandise for Sale

The Kon Tiki's Mascot: Thor

I think Bamboo Ben will appreciate these pics:

More pics

P

Looks like today will find me arriving Tucson at about 5:00pm. I'm gonna check-in to my hotel, check TC, relax a bit, and then head to the Kon Tiki (my first visit) at about 6:30pm tonight. I can't stay too late as I have work to do, but if anyone wants to meet up for a quick Mai Tai...look for the old guy with the black receding hair turning silver on the sides, in the Mickey Mouse aloha shirt (red base color).

Aloha!

*Above predicated on no traffic difficulties getting there (I'm driving...leaving Lordsburg, NM in about an hour).

P

Just arrived beautiful downtown Tucson and am checked into the Sheraton, which looks pretty close to the Kon Tiki. Hope to meet my first Tiki Centralite tonight, but if not (I know only a few hours is not much advance notice)...I'll hoist some sort of rum libation to 'ya all anyway. Been a rough and long day. I could use a bit of tropical calm and a refreshing drink (or two) to take the edge off! That's 6:30pm tonight, at the Kon Tiki...if anyone is around.

(Thinking about hitting Trader Vic's in Scottsdale tomorrow night too. Gotta break up the long drive back to SoCal, right?)

:wink:

[ Edited by: PremEx 2006-10-11 16:11 ]

P

Had a wonderful evening at Kon Tiki. Great tiki bar! What a blast to the past and a throw-back to how they don't make 'em anymore. Had one minor issue with the service. But otherwise...a great evening and met some great folks there. Problem right now is my fingers are a bit too numb to type with (never mind the condition of my gray cells)...so my full review will have to wait. Say goodnight, Gracie.

:)

Sorry we missed you last night PremEx, didn't see your post 'til it was too late. Glad you enjoyed our local. Next time you swing by let us know and we'll hook up.

P

On 2006-10-12 12:11, cheeky half wrote:
Sorry we missed you last night PremEx, didn't see your post 'til it was too late. Glad you enjoyed our local. Next time you swing by let us know and we'll hook up.

Will do. Thanks!

Did anyone get pictures of the sign with snow on it during Tucson's recent storm?

Nice photos.
The restoration looks great, yet the integrity remains.

I was in Tucson this past Monday, and had lunch (and drinks) at the Kon Tiki. The place looks and feels fantastic. Last time I was there was a few years ago, well before any updates were done. I liked what the place represented at that time, but didn't really feel comfortable there. Now, everything looks, smells, and feels great.

I was able to meet with Louie, the manager... GREAT GUY!!! We chatted a bit about the new stuff, but he pointed out most of the decor was already there, just given updated surroundings and a little face lift. Bamboo Ben's work really made the place shine again.

Also, Louie has a bunch of the Re-dedication Party mugs designed by Doug Horne!!! They are NOT sold out!!! They come with a COA and the pendant, and sell for $25. I purchased 2 of them, since I loved the design so much. Louie indicated the web site will be updated in a few weeks, so the mugs can be purchased via the internet. But for now, you can contact the Kon Tiki directly. WARNING: Louie wants to sell to Tiki Central members who want to purchase for themselves... NO EBAY DEALERS!! These are special mugs to commemorate the RE-opening of this fantastic place. Let's keep the mana these mugs were created with.

Fantastic job Louie and BBen!! Try the Monkey on a Stick!!!

• Myke

Hey Tiki Jackalope, is there anyway you can repost all the pics from early in the thread that are no longer viewable?

thanks,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

ST

ANyone know how to e-mail Louie about the mugs? I tried the e-mail on the web page and it bounced right back...

Stiki tiki,
Louie indicated that the website and his email were being worked on. He said contacting him by phone would probably be the best, until email is back up. I got the impression it would be a couple of weeks before his site was complete.

• Myke
ST

Thanx, gave a ring and talked to a clueless woman, will call back in the am....

bigtikidude asked

Hey Tiki Jackalope, is there anyway you can repost all the pics from early in the thread that are no longer viewable?

Done...wish I had time to replace a few hundred other Shutterfly pics in other posts. For more of Kon Tiki, see also: http://www.thelope.com/2005/05/kon-tiki.html and http://www.thelope.com/2006/04/kon-tiki-party.html

I'll be in Arizona next month and hope to cart some relatives to Tucson - Kon Tiki calls to me like a chorus of grinning, wooden, mid-century homing beacons. Of course, I'll shoot more because I just don't know when to stop.

wow wow wow , great stuff,
thanks for reposting.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

O

Thanks for the great pictures you reposted Tikijackalope!

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-26 20:03 ]

My sister (Kristiki) and I were in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Chandler this past week visiting family, and we always make time for a trip to Kon Tiki when we're in AZ! There were some really nice folks at the bar who gave us napkin roses that they'd made for us. If you're reading this and you were one of those people, thank you!

Here we are:

I'm loving the mug and I picked up the scorpion bowl, too! :wink:

happy girls in a happy place!!. Well worth the drive to Tucson.

Distressing!! I was at the Kon Tiki recently for the Les Baxter/Drasnin show at the U of A and noticed that the big tiki outside of the Kon Tiki looked like it had ben vandalized with white pray paint. Is that the case? Anyone notice this? If so, its really sad...sad indeed.

The first (and so far only) tiki bar I ever went to. Late 70s/early 80s. I think it was a work related thing for one of the 'rents. Don't remember the specifics, only the overwhelming "wow" factor. Hope to get back next time I'm in Tucson (which doesn't happen frequently enough).

Anybody got a re-dedication mug they wanna get rid of????

Any idea of what mugs they used back in the day???

Christmas 2010

We've been taking a rest from the whole Tiki Scene for a while, but I wanted to pop in and remind folks that we are indeed, still alive and kicking down here in Tucson. We miss our many friends that we have made here on TC and long to see you all soon.

In da meantime, I just re-did the Kon Tiki web site, and ended up using several photos taken by another TC'er at the Relight The Night event we put on a couple of years back. I stupidly didn't make a note of who graciously provided them and wanted to give him (at least I think it was a Him) credit.

If you're reading this and it was you, or if anyone else remembers who took all those cool pix, can you let me know?

Mahalo and Cheers!

Oh, a linky to the Kon Tiki web site might help. The pictures are, unsurprisingly, in the 'Gallery':

http://www.kontikitucson.com/index.html

Z

You're more than welcome to use any of mine from that night.
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjqcUGNM

On 2012-02-12 10:51, cheeky half wrote:
...In da meantime, I just re-did the Kon Tiki web site....
http://www.kontikitucson.com/index.html

What a wonderful rendering for the home page. Classic mod menu illustration style in this tradition:

cool web site updates.

Love the Kon Tiki, and Tuscon. (missed you 2 at the Hut 2nd anniversary of the Maoi) :(
we need more events in Az.

Jeff(btd)

Z
zond2 posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2012 5:38 PM

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Found some cool historical stuff on the Kon Tiki.

First off, it opened in 1962, not 1963. It looks like the owner, Dean Short, did a little raid on the Aku Aku in Las Vegas to staff his restaurant and bar.

The Chef Tommy Wong

And the head bartender Joe Kawila Torrejon

Were both from the Aku Aku.

The bartender knew the secret drink recipes of old.

The Manager, Everett Packham

And the friendly wait staff

All together now.

DC

Here is a nice menu I have from the Kon Tiki restaurant.

And an article from the opening day on January 30, 1962.

And some ads featuring the drink specials.

DC

Strong work sir

Old photo of the exterior and sign from opening day.

DC

Pages: 1 2 85 replies