Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

(Chiki) Tiki Diablo at South London Pacific

Pages: 1 11 replies

Last night (Chiki) Tiki Diablo and King Kukulele landed at South London Pacific.
Chiki Tiki Diablo had chisels and hammers flying carving one beautiful, huge tiki. As you can see from the picture, what a great tiki for SLP and that (Chiki) Tiki Diablo is one cool & friendly man. Later in the evening, and many drinks later (for me anyway), King Kukulele took the 'stage' and played to the assembled crowds. What a fantastic night!

Mahalo to Chiki Tiki Diablo and King Kukulele

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-03-19 01:33 ]

Looks like a classic night was had by all! Was the chiseling acting as a 'beat'?

I look forward to seeing the finished Tiki next time I hit the SLP. Hope your head isn't too sore Kon!

Trader Woody

hEy Danny, that's your first Dangaroa...right?

I just got off the phone with Danny. He called me live and direct from Barcelona! Asked me to says hello to all his "tiki peeps" for him. Having such a good time over there, he says he may never come home!

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-03-21 13:03 ]

Did King Kook play all APE songs too??

K

DIABLO!

you do look like the primitive rhythm section down in front there...man it looks like you are having a blast...

if only we could all relocate forever...

Ah man this place was too cool!! The UK tiki folks were really cool!! Heilco and the friends at the South London Pacific were true class acts!!! Great hosts and we will definately be back. No, I did not do any percusion carving at all! Live carving demonstration only(just like in the old days) I even let the crowd get in on the action in Berlin (comunal(sp?) tiki ehh.) and had to hustle to finish the tiki in London. I finished it that night. We just flew back in to Berlin with our GREAT friends April and Stefan(Kaiserstyles). We are drinking german beer and smoking Cubans( cigars that is). Barcelona was fun and I'll post stuff later. Oh yes , and Kuke is carving tikis too! Hey Now!

Back from Barcelona already? Did you end up carving for Nicola? Meet Andrew? C'mon, fill me in, I am dying to know!

JETLAG...... aaaannnnrrrgggggddjghfg Sven, Yes I carved for Nicolas and he was a true genteleman. I carved him 2 tikis out of OAK! My shoulder was a champ, but the back was tired. Sheesh, I just realized I carved 10 tikis on my "vacation". I am going to get over my jlag in the beach in Laguna(tablerock) . His bar is awesome! everywhwer you look there is a detail you don't notice at first. That is the sort of thing that takes years to do. We had the Best Paella en todo Barcelona! Nicolas(Kahala owner) his childhood friend and I hung out one day while trying to get the log and these guys showed me some spanish hospitality. The man has an interesting story of how he came to own the Kahala. He was a teenage dishwasher there fresh from Uruguay(sp?) and started to work there in the early 70's . The bar at the time was owned by a motorcycle world champion and a design/business man. the business guy buys out the moto guy and takes over the place. Nic is this guys righthand man in no time and the old guy loves Nicolas like a son. Nic is in his 20/30's now and the sells him the bar, on payments ! Nicolas pays the guy off in three years time and has been keeping the place packed with a line down the street since. He also owns this cool upscale bar called Snooker de Barcelona. This is where I carved the tikis at, out in the courtyard. Nicolas father is now elderly, but is the one that bamboo'd the ceiling and did all the bamboo replacements and improvements there a few years ago at the age of 70ish. Andrew was way cool to. he is the American that puts on the world famous Tiki Fiestas in Spain. He came over to check out the carvings in progress and hung out. He organized a hipster swapmeet one day and the missus sold some tiki t-shirts there. SHe had a great time hanging with Andrew and meeting all the coo peeps in Barcelona. We later hooked up with Andrew at the Aloha bar. This place is very cool too and the bar top treatment has got to be one of the most original ones I've seen . It is almost like a reed boat. The bartenders were great gents and had a good time talking with them. We even saw some baby photos of them ! Andrew is the man. There is so much to tell you guys, but I'll stop there for now.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2004-03-25 02:11 ]

On 2004-03-25 01:32, thechikitiki wrote:
Andrew was way cool to. he is the American that puts on the world famous Tiki Fiestas in Spain.

What are these? I've not heard of them and they sound like they could be a blast!

Trader Woody

Danny, that's so great, I am glad that it all worked out! Man, what a Tiki Tour, carving in London, Berlin and Barcelona!

On 2004-03-25 02:14, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2004-03-25 01:32, thechikitiki wrote:
Andrew was way cool to. he is the American that puts on the world famous Tiki Fiestas in Spain.

What are these? I've not heard of them and they sound like they could be a blast!

Trader Woody

I think I posted something about him a couple of years ago. Back then, it was brought to my attention that flyers for Tiki parties in Barcelona started appearing with images from the BOT on them. Through Otto I got ahold of Andrew, and we finally met last year when I was in Berlin.
He is an American living in Barcelona when he is not on tour as a guitar tech. (He got me into the Bowie concert in Berlin.) When home, he organizes Tiki parties (once a month or so) at the Aloha Bar which are always filled to capacity.

Otherwise the Aloha is a more quiet place, Nicola's Kahala is busier because it is hip among local yuppy teenagers, who know nothing about Tiki, but like the sweet cocktails. When I was there there were tables with 4 and 5 Spanish chicas by themselves, gulping down the (not very strong) stuff.

If I only knew Spanish!

On 2004-03-25 09:53, bigbrotiki wrote:
When home, he organizes Tiki parties (once a month or so) at the Aloha Bar which are always filled to capacity.

Ah, yep, I'm aware of those. I was hoping there was one happening when I out in Barcelona, but instead the Aloha was very very quiet. That actually made it a lot easier to wander about taking photos and chatting to the staff. Having seen the line outside the Mauna Loa in Madrid at the weekends, you realise how much the young Spanish love Tiki Bars as a place to let their hair down. They must get 95% of their trade Friday/Saturday nights.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 11 replies