Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Talkback: U-Moderate

Pages: 1 40 replies

This is the talkback topic for the U-Moderate announcement.

Please feel free to post comments and questions here.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-03-19 19:00 ]

My immediate reaction is 'No, I don't like the idea'. Censorship is never a great idea at the best of times, but I understand the need for rules on a public forum if only to make sure that things don't descend into a meaningless morass. Currently, I think Tiki Central strikes a very good balance, and Hanford (as well as his moderators) cut us enough slack but reel us in when things get out of hand.

To throw these powers out to the great unwashed is a recipe for disaster. Rather than giving out power to the democatic (small 'D') Tiki Central, it would give the power to the extremist minority.

Perhaps having someone dealing with specific complaints would be a better idea.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-03-19 20:30 ]

N

Perhaps I'm incorrect...Hanford, please step in here...but I thought the way this works is almost like a poll...

If one out of a hundred "u-moderators" doesn't like the post, Hanford (or whoever has the 'supreme' power) can say "Noted. Thanks."

It's more of an opinion poll sort of thing...right?

Scott

I think this is a great feature, Hanford!

Now you can get immediate feedback from the entire community.

Thanks for always improving TC.

S
SES posted on Fri, Mar 19, 2004 9:59 PM

This is GREAT!
TC will be organized in no time flat now.
:)
I love the consensus aspect of it.

P.S.
Can you set the forum so that we can delete/remove completely (not just edit) our own posts after the 15 minute time frame period ends?

Thanks!

Woody,

New2Tiki is correct ...

It is like an opinion poll.

Let's say I take a look at my U-Moderate stats and see 30 TCers have requested a topic that is currently in the Main Forum to be moved to Beyond Tiki. This makes my decision much faster and easier; I can pinpoint the topic quickly, I can view it quickly, and if I agree with the 30 requests then I move the topic; case-closed. If it's 300 requests instead of 30, then I almost don't need to think about what to do: the topic gets moved.

There have been numerous comments made personally to me in the regard of "Tiki Central needs more moderation". I aso get complaints about inconsistency. This is an attempt to address some of these comments, in-part by asking the people who are commenting to help out by moderating.

~Hanford

On 2004-03-19 22:03, hanford_lemoore wrote:

It is like an opinion poll.

phew i thought i'd been granted god-like moderator powers for no reason. This new thing will be good for shifting old topics from the main discussion area into more appropriate sections.

I guess there's been some confusion about this and so I have updated the "about U-Moderate" page to be more clear.

It is a poll, and I use the poll to help make moderation decisions, howsever it is not simply a "do what the majority says".

Hanford

S
SES posted on Sat, Mar 20, 2004 2:57 PM

On 2004-03-20 14:29, hanford_lemoore wrote:
howsever it is not simply a "do what the majority says".
Hanford

:wink:

OK,

Now that I've seen it in action, it makes a great deal more sense. I'm still not 100% convinced, though.

Already there's a locked topic ("Respect") that had been generating feedback from people wanting to moderate it. It was actually a very interesting discussion that got locked because there is a significant number (Significant enough to make their voices heard) that will complain whenever people have a disagreement on Tiki Central.
Can those who object to a topic being locked get it unlocked again?

We've already got a ban on name-calling and anyone guilty of doing so should get a slap on the wrist. That's good moderation. But, we don't get that many topics that create a real debate and those that do will inevitably get locked by those who want Tiki Central to be an eternal group hug. That's censorship.

Trader Woody

But its interesting to note in that "respect" topic how the U-moderate effected it, when the original starting post appeared to be a all out attack on laterday tiki artists, the poster was PM and then he explained "no actualy this post is about a personal attack" on him. The topic only got locked once it turned into slanging match between members.
The discussion about style influences VS style reproduction was indeed interesting but once it turns into bitter griping postings its no fun for anyone.
Perhaps in hot debates such as "respect" the moderation could be more like a referee than a censor, i think with people should veiw tiki central a bit less like a bar and more like a playground, an argument in a bar often leeds to a fight with broken bottles and pool cues, peole get hurt and don't come back. but fights in a playground, well "play nicely or not at all" and if it is a play fight, be friends afterwards.

On 2004-03-24 06:22, atomictonytiki wrote:
But its interesting to note in that "respect" topic how the U-moderate effected it, when the original starting post appeared to be a all out attack on laterday tiki artists, the poster was PM and then he explained "no actualy this post is about a personal attack" on him. The topic only got locked once it turned into slanging match between members.

What got me was the fact that there had already been a large number of people trying to close down the topic before it had even got off the ground. By page 2, BB had been notified that people were complaining. Peple obviously wanted the topic locked. Had the topic been locked at that point, a very interesting discussion would have been snuffed out.

Trader Woody

Is the "U-Moderate" an indictment against the board moderators or something?

I personally like the idea. Just be sure and complain about yourself to Hanford after each and every miniscule moderation. (To keep the status quo, you know...) :)

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2004-03-24 15:14 ]

"no actualy this post is about a personal attack"

Did I say those "exact" words??? The post got all jacked up anyway and went from Respect to Copying. 2 Different things.

I like the u-mod gig. Anything new to keep my mind off of work.

By page 2, BB had been notified that people were complaining. Peple obviously wanted the topic locked. Had the topic been locked at that point, a very interesting discussion would have been snuffed out.

True, but I didn't lock it there. U-Moderate serves multiple purposes: To quickly and easily raise a flag on topics so I can review them on a case-by-case basis. This is eccentially PMing me that I should check the topic out, but it does not mean I will lock the topic or otherwise moderate it.

But it is not a democracy. I just don't look at the votes and do what they tell me. There is already a half-dozen topics that just 1 or 2 people have U-Moderated, but I have not moderated them (yet). The votes on this will continue to tally.

In the case of "respect", I did not lock the topic right away, as there were not a suitable number of Lock votes (although those votes did bring in on the radar so I could monitor it).

I finally locked it when I did becuase the votes had climbed high to "lock", and the thread way dying out. Look at the last page of posts there and you'll see, it had kind of devolved and wandered. It appeared as though the topic had died out. Combine that with the high lock vote and I thought it was the right time.

Intellectual property was not the main gist of that topic. There were some names called, and there were some feelings hurt in that topic. I think a new one that sticks to the facts would be welcome.

Is the "U-Moderate" an indictment against the board moderators or something?

No, this is to responsd to critisim I have received about moderation quality and consistency. This gives people who have a problem with a topic to vote. People who feel there's too much misposting in the wrong forum can vote to have it moved (and in many cases it only takes one vote to have that happen). And it is also to give every member a voice. Just knowing what the majority thinks on a topic is a great tool for me; something I never have had insight to.

Tiki Central was built by it's members contributions to the forum. This tool everyone to help decide the fate of Tiki Central.

~Hanford

On 2004-03-25 02:00, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Just knowing what the majority thinks on a topic is a great tool for me; something I never have had insight to.

This is an interesting point because the majority 'register' the fact that they are perfectly at ease with a topic by simply doing nothing. It's actually a vocal minority that end up actually registering displeasure.

I noticed theat there is an option for nominating topics as 'Best of', but can there also be one to register the fact that that it's an enjoyable thread, while not quite the heady hights of 'Best of'?

Trader Woody

i think u-mod is quite mod but was just wondering one thing:

can someone w/ a trigger happy finger, or a grudge, u-mod multiple times appearing to represent the votes of however many individuals?

On 2004-03-25 05:45, Tiki Chris wrote:
i think u-mod is quite mod but was just wondering one thing:

can someone w/ a trigger happy finger, or a grudge, u-mod multiple times appearing to represent the votes of however many individuals?

I found this on an early U-mod page;
'Is my moderation vote private?

All information about the U-Moderate system is only monitored by Hanford Lemoore, and no other TC member. It is Hanford Lemoore's policy to not share individual moderation requests with anyone else. '

So I guess Hanford can see who is making the u-mod 'votes'?

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-03-25 05:59 ]

On 2004-03-24 21:25, RevBambooBen wrote:

"no actualy this post is about a personal attack"

Did I say those "exact" words???

Nope actually what you said was "I was acused of stealing." but a life time of tabloid reading causes me to alter your words to fit the sentiment.

This is an interesting point because the majority 'register' the fact that they are perfectly at ease with a topic by simply doing nothing

Yes, but you are effectively casting a "I'm fine with this" if you don't cast anything.

Until it's been running a while I'm not going to know what is normal levels. I mean, I've had about 8 topics voted Lock by 1 or 2 people; obviously this is "noise"."Respect" was over 20 times that.

No. If this is attempted, U-Mod will detect it. I don't want to have to deal with this though since it will raise a red flag in the system of "someone is attempting to stuff the ballot box".

~Hanford

"Respect" was over 20 times that.

Hanford- If you ever need me to test anything out in the future I'm your man!

(Respect was not a test. Just pure coincidence)

The rumor around the back edges of Tiki Central is that U-Mod doesn't work. Is this true?

Lock this thread!

W

Is this thing on?

If U-Moderate doesn't actually work how can we get threads moved to approrpiate forums with minimal tears and gnashing of teeth?

J

I've found that PM'ing specific Moderators will get you results within minutes.

But I don't want to reveal their secret identities for fear their enemies may strike out against their loved ones.

"Your (secret) identity is your most valuable possession. Protect it." - The Incredibles , 2004.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-22 09:53 ]

W

Yes, so I just learned in a PM from a moderator.

But I actually don't know who all the moderators are. Is there a list?

Also I was always led to believe that if you ask a service of the moderator that some day, and that day may never come, the moderator will call upon you to do a service for him. And if you don't you could wake up one morning next to the fragments of your favorite Tiki mug.

I would like a new U-Mod category listed, the "To Hell" category please!
so I can U-MOD some people to HELL!
can you make that happen?

On 2010-10-22 15:33, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

However, when they come back it may pose a whole new set of problems - like the giant walking tree variety!

J

Lance, I got your back Brother !!

But please try to understand here on Tiki Central, we all have more in common then we have differences.

Geeks like us need to stick together !!

On 2010-10-22 16:28, JOHN-O wrote:

Lance, I got your back Brother !!

But please try to understand here on Tiki Central, we all have more in common then we have differences.

Geeks like us need to stick together !!

Oh man I forgot to put some of those smiley faces in my post, yet still I want a "To Hell" category
even if they come back as Tree monsters!

Viva La Tiki Central Liberation Front!

J

BTW, Ojai Tim beat you to the punch...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30669&forum=1

And where has he been lately ??

The "The Doctor Tiki Liberation Front" has no affiliation with the :tiki: Tiki Central Liberation Front :tiki:
as the former members of the "TDTLF" have not been seen in years,though it has been rumored that their bodies
are buried beneath Trader Vics Las Vegas.

Long Live the :tiki: "TCLF"! :tiki:
Putting the "Truth" back in the T for Tiki!

I use the UMOD to report spam. If I have an issue or concern about the board I annoy Hanford.:) I don't know who all the moderators are on this board, I only know of one and sadly my relationship with that person is not good (and I know that concern exists for many other people)...wish that wasn't the case, but such is life.

I am not a Tiki aficionado and have never claimed to be. However, I am a supporter of the great TC artist's community and have learned a lot about Tiki and the culture. I will never be an expert (sorry, I can't cram any more things in my head...my brainpan is full), but there are enough experts her to keep the Tiki torches lit. I find rudeness and fighting on boards offensive so avoid getting caught up in that loop. I post whatever I want, whenever I want and try my best not to offend anyone, but if someone wanted to UMOD me to hell, that would be just fine with me...LOL.

J

On 2010-10-22 21:27, VampiressRN wrote:

...but if someone wanted to UMOD me to hell, that would be just fine with me...LOL.

Marlene, you say that because you think for a Vampiress like you, Hell is going to look like this...

When in fact it's really going to be this...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-22 22:05 ]

To each there own personal Hell! that is scary! John-O

You all know I am just joking about the Hell thing? right? look here are some of those
smiley things... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P see? joking..... :P

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-22 22:07 ]

THAT'S MY KINDA HELL BOYS!!! Oh wait...edited for some smileys and a evil one for JB.

:D :D :D :D :evil:

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2010-10-22 22:41 ]

Can we send a topic to SHOUT! instead? That way it would soon be gone and forgotten!

W

Does U-Mod even work?

TS

I u-modded to have 'Tiki!' under General Tiki Forums, moved, not locked. Locking rarely accomplishes anything and leaves behind too many loose ends.

Hopefully Hanford will unlock it, have the last word on it, and send it away, but not until people are all on the same page.
If this does not happen, a similar incident will occur again....I'll bet on it!

On 2010-10-29 06:13, woofmutt wrote:
Does U-Mod even work?

From Hanford's header - "...But after the number of PMs, U-Mods, and other stuff I got this weekend..."

I guess so :)

Pages: 1 40 replies