Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Overload

Pages: 1 16 replies

Has anyone else reach the saturation point on certain tiki items. I rarely give a second look at a tiki leilani mug on a shelf or yard sale, likewise with those cheep made in the Philippians wooden mugs with the Ku face or those poorly carved spoons and forks. But I still pick up those Maibu Moai plastic mugs just in lukewarm tiki guests want to part take in a drink and I'm not read to break out the "good china".

i'm ther too. i've got no more room to put a mug, or build a new shelf.

Overload? no such thing.

(though I DO have far too many Karate Punch mugs)

-Z

S

Get the Leilani is it's $1 or less, and keep 4 around to serve out of and give away to guests.

K

I STILL don't have a Leilani. I saw one at an antique store for $36.00 but I wasn't about to pay that. It's almost impossible to find anything tiki in N. Texas. I really don't want to pay $10.00 for one on Ebay but I may be forced to. If anyone is tired of their Leilani's you can send them my way.

:drink:

i like leilanis for their abilty to group up. i have a couple in our powder room ~ every one is different yet they are all the same.

leilanis as a paradigm for world peace...

(brief self-indulgent zen moment) ~ j$

I actually picked up my 2 Leilani's during my biggest one-stop score (about 10 mugs, a carving, and some Cocojoes). The funny thing was most of the mugs were $0.95 or $1.25, but the Leilani's were $3.25 !?!? The only thing I can imagine is that they were the only mug that the thrift store employee recognized, therefore they MUST be worth more.

-Z

On 2004-03-22 13:03, Johnny Dollar wrote:
i like leilanis for their abilty to group up. i have a couple in our powder room ~ every one is different yet they are all the same.

They seem to travel in packs too, my last Leilani find was 6 sitting on a shelf in a St Vincent Depaul and before that a pair was on a rumage sale table. They are sturdy and have a nice color but in these parts are The Whipped Cream and Other Delights of the tiki world.

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2004-03-22 13:45 ]

overload

hahahaha

I've been loving/collecting for not even a year and am a baby in the tiki world as far as I'm concerned. Friends and family would say I went overboard months ago, but that's their opinion. Just wait until the bar is built!

I think the whole POINT to a tiki bar is that it's got lots of stuff. Organized, or neat and tidy, but lots! You can always donate or sell things when you want to replace with more prized Polynesian pieces. I guess some people like to have one of each, others can handle an entire herd of wooden mugs, fork and spoon sets or leilanis! There are so many possibilities for collections within collections. I really like the variations of pineapples and skulls that were recently posted, where I live I have yet to find one of either!

It's neat to be able to show friends the subtle differences "see, this one has a handle, but that means it was home made so it's worth slightly less on e-bay, but it has secret sentimental attachments to TC members because it was the very first mug made by a now famous tiki artist"

ya, that's it!

I need a poly pop fix, how I wish I could stop at a bar on my way home!

P.S. I just found out where the former Trader Vic's of Vancouver is located. My best friend's Mum almost rented a place on the owner's property, but he apparently doesn't take care of things very well. I'm going to try and make an appointment to see what's left, I'll definitely take my digital camera with me.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2004 6:01 PM

There aren't a ton of tiki mugs here in this neck of Florida, but there's plenty of Coco Joe/HIP to be found for some reason. It has to less than $5 or a really rare piece for me to get it. I pass up a lot of Coco Joe, sometimes even if it's under $5.

I've only been collecting for a couple of years now, but I'm finding a lot of the stuff I scooped up in a frenzy when I first got "bit by the bug"(so to speak) is starting to be stashed away or cast off to make room for more descriminating choices. I'm focusing more on limited edition, one off & vintage collectibles now. And with summer coming up, I plan on shifting most of my attention to exterior design & landscaping (which has taken a backseat in the tikification proccess so far). My budget also keeps me in check from over-buying. Time to muster my recources for Tiki Oasis IV buying spree!

i have plenty of extras,(12 leilanis bought at once, etc..)kahiki, .i trade. pm me. jim.

Gotta agree, I have a small apartment that is shared with my wife, dog, two cats 2 dyno cruiser type bikes, and a whole lotts collectables, I also have to store my favorite peices elsewhere, due to space constraints, sucks but somtimes you gotta pass by stuff. Used to be it didnt matter, if it was tiki it was good. now I find I need to be a bit more discriminating...
But wait till we get a bigger place !!!!!!MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jay

I've actually never seen a leilani, though I see the OoH R-91 (same thing, I think) often. For the first few months that I collected mugs, I bought every mug I saw; lately I've been leaving duplicates behind and checking them on subsequent trips.
I guess I'm using them like a barometer of tiki interest in various places. I enjoy the fact that I left one in a trendy antique store at $25 and another in nearby thrift store at $1.
I've also stopped buying CoCo Joes and HIP unless they are either really cheap or significantly different than what I have already.
And I've discovered a great truth: the best way to find a one dollar tiki mug is to buy the same thing on ebay for $10 the day before.

Overload? No. Under-room? Yes! Dollar Shrinkage? Most definately...

Here it is again - Big Spoon And Fork (BSAF) bashing! Me, I'm trying to gather enough sets (that I can get for under $10) to do a whole wall of 'em! Bring on the BSAFs!

As for stuff, well, I'm kinda going for the Tiki Ti look, with layers and layers of crap on the walls, much of it donated by my guests. Did you know that Tiki Ti's building is actually 2500 square feet? It only seems small because there are several feet of accumulated tiki weirdness on each wall. It's estimated that by 2015 there will only be enough room for the bartenders and one customer at time. How cool is that?!

On 2004-03-24 06:44, rustbeltcat wrote:
I have a small apartment that is shared with my wife, dog, two cats 2 dyno cruiser type bikes, and a whole lotts collectables, I also have to store my favorite peices elsewhere, due to space constraints, sucks but somtimes you gotta pass by stuff.

Dude, sounds like you should be passing up a LOT of stuff!

Pages: 1 16 replies