Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pheonix Hotel in San Francisco - Does it have a Tiki patio?

Pages: 1 4 replies

My SF travel guide states that the Pheonix Hotel on Eddy & Market has a tiki pool decor and the rooms are of a "space age bachelorpad" design, although it is a motor lodge.

Does it have a mid-centrury Modern desgin or a botique Travel Lodge?

They also have a nightclub entitled "Backflip" which received rave reviews.

Anyone been (or heard from someone who has)?

Thanks.

I haven't been to the Backflip in a few years but I do remember that it SUCKED.
Granted, it had just opened and was one of the new, hip places to be seen. I just remeber a lot of attitude and crappy music.
The hotel itself was kinda cool but I don't know what it's like now. Rember, it is in one of the less savory parts of The City.
Aloha,
:tiki:

On 2004-03-23 19:15, christiki295 wrote:
Does it have a mid-centrury Modern desgin or a botique Travel Lodge?

They also have a nightclub entitled "Backflip" which received rave reviews.

If I recall, the Phoenix was an old motel destined for the wrecking ball that someone bought and renovated into a boutique hotel (kind of like Caliente Tropics).

Backflip has closed and there's something else there now, but I don't know anything more.

T

It is a mid-century motel that has been renovated into a "fun and funky" hotel that caters primarily to young rock stars and their fans. I don't care for the whimsical decoration, and the crowd in the bar can be annoying. It's a real early 20s meat market type bar.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d81209-Reviews-Phoenix_Hotel-San_Francisco_California.html

The neighborhood is "bad", because their are a lot of homeless and SRO hotels, but one advantage is it's proximity to Original Joe's restaurant (a well-preserved 1950s time capsule), the Great American Music Hall ( a beautiful music venue), the O'Farrell Theatre (famous strip club), and it is centrally located.

M

Backflip was replaced by the Bambuddha lounge- small plate asian tapas, trendy cocktails, and the same hipster attitude. Looks pretty cool inside, but yeah, not a great neighborhood. Although it has been improving. Who knows? It may one day be great.

Pages: 1 4 replies