Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

new tiki bar in houston texas! [finally!]

Pages: 1 14 replies

L

hello everybody,
a new tiki bar has opened in houston texas for the first time in 25 years! it is called hawaiian breeze and they are primarily a restaurant serving food in the hawaiian style. they also serve specialty 'tropical' drinks in TIKI MUGS. the decor is still evolving but look for small tikis around the bar and some masks around the walls. contact: mr. sonny. located at 5825 richmond. phone 713-782-6162 THANKS!!

Very cool...I may have to head down I-45 & check it out! I also need to go down I-35 & visit Oceans 11 in Austin. Maybe someone will either build one here in Dallas or re-open the old Trader Vics location. It's supposedly now available for private parties (in the old Hilton), but I haven't been there since the late 80's, so I'm not sure if the original decor is still there. Anyway, sounds like my best bets are road trips!

T

I will be in Austin next month, and a trip to Ocean's 11 is ALWAYS on the list. I'm trying to get a group of friends there to make a trek down to Houston. I'll try to take pictures if we make it down there.

S

Cool!

I'll be in Houston on Monday. I'll try to stop by. Hopefully, they will be open.

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

Please include me in any Texas tiki run! Just moved (back) here from Georgia, (Atlanta Trader Vic's sigh), and am jonesing for blue drinks with lotsa parasols & crap floating in 'em, and fellow tikiphiles to down them with. Dino Lee's Oceans 11 has set a high standard - I hope Houston's newest can meet the challenge!

Well, now I'm in Houston as well and this sounds like an excellent opportunity to have a get together with the few TikiCentralites who will be around.

Stentiki! Luau63! I just spoke with Formikahini and we wanted to get together at 8pm Monday night at the Hawaiian Breeze aforementioned. (www.hibreeze.com)

Post back if you'll show!

Aloooooha!

L

bringing tiki culture back to houston! the hawaiian breeze, monday, august 26th, 8:00 pm. my wahine and i will be there! this is a first for us. let the celebration begin! luau63

On 2002-08-24 10:34, Kilikopela wrote:
Stentiki! Luau63! I just spoke with Formikahini and we wanted to get together at 8pm Monday night at the Hawaiian Breeze aforementioned. (www.hibreeze.com)

Alright, what Kilikopela failed to mention is that Monday night at Hawaiian Breeze is not only Monday Night Football, according to their website, but also Lingerie Modeling Night. (What was that earlier thread about how to make your tiki bar realistically stay in business?)

As a hetero female, let me just say that that really thrills me. Being one of only two "nice girls" (including Ms. Luau63) in a bar full of men is not my i-...hmmm... wait...never mind!!

All in the line of my tiki-loving duty.

And maybe the lingerie is island-wear: coconut bras and island-print unmentionables, etc...Well, MAYbe!

See y'all there. I'll be the one girl arriving alone that's fully clad.

heh heh heh. Hubba Hubba!

S

Kilikopela,

So sorry I missed you! I left for Texas early on the 24th and just got your message. I'm afraid I would have missed all you either way since my work event lasted until 11 pm. Thanks for the good thoughts, anyway and for keeping the Aloha Spirit alive!

If any of you are ever out this way, please drop me a line.

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

P.S. Next stop, Trader Vic's, Chicago next Thursday night (late). Anyone in town?

L

kilikopela, formikahini, and my wife were waiting for me last friday when i arrived at hawaiian breeze after work. we introduced ourselves, critiqued the decor, and proceeded to sample some of the fine potions. we kept the bartender and ms. thu busy! formikahini had pictures from hukiluau and the closing of the kahiki. we ended the night vowing to promote more tiki awareness in this little town of 4 million+. aloha- l63

V

hello,

i realize this topic was started back august but maybe you will see this. i live in houston and would like to know if you still go to this Hawaiian Breeze place. And where is it exactly by the way?

On 2003-03-28 21:38, vitilevu wrote:
hello,i realize this topic was started back august but maybe you will see this. i live in houston and would like to know if you still go to this Hawaiian Breeze place. And where is it exactly by the way?

Aloha, Vitilevu!
Sadly, Hawaiian Breeze is no more, but another Tiki Centralite, Kilikopela, and I are both still active seekers of all things tiki here in Houston and surroundings.

There's a spot in Galveston called The Balinese that we're both hoping to check out (do a search for an earlier thread on that). There's also Ocean's 11 in Austin, plus rumors of a new spot in the Heights on Washington here in Houston. Email me and let's try and do some hunting together!

Formikahini

So is Houston the hell on earth that it's reported to be? I only ask because it's snagged worst crime rate from NYC and worst smog rate from LA...

On 2003-03-29 23:24, Scamboogah wrote:
So is Houston the hell on earth that it's reported to be? I only ask because it's snagged worst crime rate from NYC and worst smog rate from LA...

Now now, Scamboogah, you seems to be in a snipe-y mood here these days! This is my hometown, I'll have you know, and nobody can insult it but ME!

Re: crime, we've got bad non-stranger crime, that is, lots of I-caught-you-fooling-around-with-my-old-lady-BANG! crime. Maybe it's the heat, maybe it's the humidity. But I don't fear here anymore than in any other city or town. I lock all my doors and look in my back seat before entering the car here, the same way I did in little Athens, GA, and in Austin before then, and Houston before then. We had crack and gangs in Athens, and they're here, too.

Re: smog - huh? We don't ever have days where you can't see for the haze, the way half - no, 3/4 of the days I'm ever in LA are. Now, maybe the statistical rating is due to some particular pollutant, and that could be; we are a major oil refinery city, and boy do we love our cars, LA style. But it's not a smelly, hazy city, by any means - really! We gots our occasional AM fog and we gots our humidity (ugh!), but it's really a pretty, green, friendly place. Just don't get caught messing around with somebody's old lady... ("But Officer, he NEEDed killin'!" "I understand, Sir. Now run along and don't get into any more trouble, ya hear?")

Pages: 1 14 replies