Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Trailer Happiness, London, United Kingdom, London, UK (bar)

Pages: 1 9 replies

A

Name:Trailer Happiness, London, United Kingdom
Type:bar
Street:177 Portobello Road
City:London
State:
Zip:
Phone:+44 2077272700

Description:
Having found a dearth of Tiki Bars in the Uk and trying to capitalise upon the Great British Bartender revoloution, John Downey has set up Trailer H. With help from King Cocktail Dale DeGroff himself and with a glittering past behind him we ask that all Tiki Geeks pop down here and check us out... if you mention this site we will set you up the first one for free...
cheers!

Hey Angus,

Great to see you on Tiki Central!

You can read how I tried to find Trailer Happiness on this thread: https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=6226&forum=1
Sounds like the emphesis is going more towards the Tiki as time goes on.

No doubt I'll have more success next time I hit London! See you there.

Trader Woody

I love this place!

Cheekytiki led our merry gang there on my Night of London Tiki in mid-July, which began at Trader Vic’s. Stop #2, South London Pacific, was closed (darn!), so we made our way to Portobello Road.

Decor:
The street level is only a display window, much like a clothing store (complete with hula-clothed mannequin). You immediately descend the narrow stairs to a swank, non-cluttered, bachelor pad environment. The current TiPSY factor is very low, as there are none save the wall of Munktiki shot glasses, all awaiting the return of their owners who have exclusive rights to their usage. Cheekytiki has been asked to carve for the place, and I cross my fingers that they follow through with their commission. But I can’t say that it horribly lacks tiki, either, as it’s not going for tiki/beachcomber ambiance (e.g., it has little steel flying saucers on one wall). An L-shaped room, the bar is in one part, along with couches and cushions (not chairs) for cozy seating. In the other “wing,” GIANT Tretchikoffs are painted on the walls. I mean GIANT. Like, look-like-they’re-projected-on-the-wall giant. Oneofthesedays, I’ll learn how to post photos.....

See the bottom of p.2 for Trader Woody's photo:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=2715&forum=5&start=15

Food and Drink:
The drinks were WONderful – fresh, fruity, and just strong enough, not too strong. We ordered a slew of appetizers, mostly with yummy dipping sauces, which were all tasty and went quickly. We all coveted the volcano bowl (Tiki farm?) which came with a bright red lava flow spilling out of the inner volcano portion. I mean, I want that bowl. True to Angus’ word regarding free first drinks to TC members, our bill had far fewer drinks on it than we actually consumed – Thank you!

Service:
Terrific bartenders, willing to listen to what you’re in the mood for, let you take little tastes of something they just made to see if you want one of those (hygienically, via a straw dipped in and then tossed after your single use), and able to improvise and make their own versions of standard drinks. These are the kind of bartenders you want at your neighborhood bar.

http://www.trailerhappiness.com

Here's a re-post of Trader Woody's link above(which isn't working), worth the read:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6226&forum=1

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-08-08 10:44 ]

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2005-02-24 15:36 ]

What a great place!
The cocktails were wonderful - made with much skill and affection. They were happy to make up a Trader Vic's Mai Tai and a Don the Beachcombers version so we could taste the difference. When most bars can't even approximate a low-grade Mai Tai, this was very impressive.

Decor is much more 'Tiki Nouveau' than London's other Tiki Bars, and it works well. I look forward to seeing more of Cheekytiki's touches added, though.

I loved the place and wished I lived closer!

London's Tiki bars are all quite different and compliment each other nicely. Trader Vic's is the place to go for the full-on old-style Tiki experience (and pay for it). South London Pacific is where you go to let your hair down and get caught up in the crazed vibe and decor. Trailer Happiness is the one to go for to relax, soak up the great sounds, and check out their wonderful drinks.

Here's a few photos:

Volcano bowl

Toilets!

The phone!

The wall of personal Munktiki shot glasses. You buy one, leave it there and get a discount every time you buy a shot in the future. I'm sure this paint is the same as the stuff on the walls of my Tiki basement. It looks fine in the gloom, but when you take a photo using a flash, it comes out looking weird and bright.

This barmaid was great - never let my glass hit empty - and she fit in with the decor too.

Trader Woody

formakahini~ that bowl is made by louie b ceramics of hawaii.

looks like a cool place! one of these days cleen and i will have to go there.

I wonder which chiki they are talking about? I have talked to them about doing a tiki when I go aout there. Not firmed up yet.

Name:Trailer Happiness, London W11, UK
Type:bar
Street:177 Portobello Road
City:London
State:
Zip:W11
Phone: 020 7727 2700

Description:
A basement bar with kitchen in full Tiki fabulousness. http://www.trailerh.com

RoseyRose:

On my next jaunt across the pond to london, I shall make it to this exciting new lounge in London. Keep the Yank Tiki Nation in the loop on this venture!

R

Trailer Happiness was my Saturday night stop in London after a ripping time at Mahiki on Friday. The staffs at both of these awesome establishments know each other and the bar staff are very competitive (much to my benefit). Mahalo to Tim, Rikki, Emilee, Foxy, and the crew.

Like Mahiki, the entrance is at street level and the real goings on are below decks but at Trailer H they also have a small area for alfresco cocktailing early in the evening.

Emilee hard at work

One big "Trailer Happy" family

Tim and an injured comrade(Rikki)

Me with Tim and Foxy

Foxy does her thing with the magical Zombie Bowl

Making Pele speak

Flame on!

Meeting a fellow American at Trailer H

...and her mates

From a recent visit:

Pages: 1 9 replies