Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

(Yet Another) Disney Attraction Movie - The Jungle Cruise

Pages: 1 27 replies

B

Saw this on the Internet Movie Databases's "Studio Briefing" page for 18 May 04...

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#1

"Disney To Base New Movie on Jungle Cruise Ride

The Walt Disney Co. is planning to turn another one of its theme-park attractions into a movie -- this time, it's the Jungle Cruise. "It's completely inspired by and relates to the ride and will contain elements of the ride in the story," producer David Hoberman told today's (Monday) Hollywood Reporter. Disney has had mixed results in converting theme-park rides into movies, scoring strongly with Pirates of the Caribbean, but drawing relatively small crowds with films based on its Haunted Mansion and Bear Country attractions."

i'm hoping for a horror movie based on "It's A Small World" to come out next. Just picture it, a group of teenagers get locked in the ride overnight...

T

Dear God, no....

Here's a thought - how about some new, creative ideas for a film...? Anyone....? Hello....

On 2004-05-18 07:40, Tangaroa wrote:
Dear God, no....

Here's a thought - how about some new, creative ideas for a film...? Anyone....? Hello....

"Tiki Central: The Movie..."

It's not going to end too terribly soon, they've got to work their way up to the Tower of Terror yet.

H

On 2004-05-18 09:33, purple jade wrote:
It's not going to end too terribly soon, they've got to work their way up to the Tower of Terror yet.

They already did, back in '97:

Tower of Terror (starring Steve Guttenberg!)

J

On 2004-05-18 07:40, Tangaroa wrote:

My thought exactly! What the hell is up with Hollywood? How many movies based on existing movies, TV shows, comic books, cartoons and amusement park rides will we have to be exposed to? You notice I didn't say watch because the majority of this recycled trash isn't fit for human consumption! We've been presented with 5(?)Batman movies, a sequel to Scoobie Doo, The Haunted Mansion, another Spiderman, 2 X-Men movies, blah blah blah!!! I'm just waiting for a movie based on a TV commercial! Okay I've got it! The Tidy Bowl Man is stranded when his boat is capsized and flushed away during a violent toilet overflow after a Huggies Brand diaper is stuffed down the toilet! Now Mr. Tidy is befriended by the Snuggle Fabric Softener bear, the super macho Mr. Clean and the Scrubbing Bubbles Posse as they embark on an adventure that will take them out of the house and into the gigantic scary world outside. Kinda like a brand-name consumer products road movie as they search for Mr. Bowl's lost yacht! Somebody get me in touch with an agent!! I've got the makings of an original screenplay!

I'm a fan of sequels. I'd rather see a shitty sequel than a shitty original movie any day.

I also think basing movies off of rides is cool if they can do it well becuase it gives us more insight into the rides. Assuming it is done well.

I'm hoping the Jungle Cruise comes out great. I really do.

~Hanford

PS my guess is Jungle Cruise the movie is going to end up very Gilligan's Islandish.

Oof, straight to video, I assume?...and with Steve Guttenberg and Nia Peeples, that's just so surprising! Did they do a Rock'n'RollerCoaster one that I missed too?

T

On 2004-05-18 09:37, Humuhumu wrote:

What I want to know is...Did you look that up on IMDB or have you actually seen it?:)

H

On 2004-05-19 06:46, Turbogod wrote:
What I want to know is...Did you look that up on IMDB or have you actually seen it?:)

TikiBob & I saw it in the gift shop as we were exiting from riding the Tower of Terror in Orlando a few weeks ago. Somehow, we resisted the urge to buy it.

Here's what I'd like to see:

"Club 33: The Motion Picture"

On 2004-05-18 19:50, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I'm hoping the Jungle Cruise comes out great. I really do.

~Hanford

Blecccccccgh.

Harper Goff based the original design on "The African Queen". Rent that instead.

"Oh mystic powers - hear my call...
From my limbs, let new life fall..."
http://www.christophermerritt.com

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-05-19 12:12 ]

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-05-19 12:14 ]

I have seen the Tower of Terror movie. It was produced specifically for a Wonderful World of Disney episode (Sunday nights on ABC). This was part of Eisner's "synergy" strategy.

So, in that context, it was not as bad as it could have been. But overall incredibly bad. Notice the movie makes no reference to the Twilight Zone. I guess Disney did not want to pay for TV rights to that name.

Hey, If we all pitch in, we can buy the name “junglecruise.com” for only $2888.00!
http://www.junglecruise.com before Michale Eisner buys it.
Then we'll black male him into building a top notch Trader Vics restaurant in Adventureland for the dot com name!
Ya Unga, that’ll happen.

T

Hollywood makes movies based on books and TV shows, because they sell. Plain and simple. If people are already familiar with your theme/concept, they are more receptive to your movie, and more likely to see it. You've already got a guaranteed fan base of people who will just have to see it even if its bad, cause they are a fan of the show/ride/book.

There's probably a million great original scripts out there, languishing away in someone's desk drawer. But studios don't want to take a chance on them, because movies are expensive, and failed movies are even more expensive. So the studios go with the tried and true.

Simple!

Not necessarily a good thing, mind you. I'm just 'splaining the theory behind it is all.

T

If you have to do a film with a theme or amusement park storyline, I'd much rather see an adaptation of something like "The Devil In The White City" by Erik Larson, or "Dreamland" by Kevin Baker. Either of those stories would make excellent films.

One thing that Marc Davis used to tell me was, "As I say....these things (the Disneyland attractions) are not meant to TELL A STORY! They are just a series of events that happen - there is no story at all there... That way, if you happen to miss something - a gag or something - you aren't missing out on the whole experience - unlike in a film. That's the way Walt preferred things."

I'm paraphrasing here - but he said this many, many times. It always makes me cringe when someone (usually some Disney executive) talks about the "story" of a ride. The "story" of Pirates, or the "story" of Haunted Mansion". There is no narrative in these rides, just a series of vignettes. and that's why, in my opinion (which is probably not worth much) that basing a film on a ride, will never work well. Pirates was a fairly entertaining film - but to my mind, I think that had more to do with excellent performances by Depp & Rush, as opposed to a working script that was heavily based on the ride (I feel it was not - the "Black Pearl" and all that other stuff had very little to do with the original attraction).

Am dem's my thot's!

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-05-19 13:53 ]

Anyone catch this direct-to-video release?

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2004-05-19 20:58 ]

B

I'd much rather see an adaptation of something like "The Devil In The White City" by Erik Larson

That was a great book, a serial killer, architecture, and the first ever Ferris wheel - what more do you need?

On 2004-05-19 20:57, Traderpup wrote:

Oh man - that rules! I'm going to post this on a Blog I'm a part of.....
http://www.dannysland.blogspot.com/

T

OK - last one, I swear....

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-05-21 13:40 ]

J
JTD posted on Fri, May 21, 2004 2:30 PM

On 2004-05-19 20:57, Traderpup wrote:

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2004-05-19 20:58 ]

Pup,
I don't laugh out loud at the computer much now that I'm a crusty curmudgeon, but you did it with that one. Thanks!
-JTD

Wait , I have another great concept for a movie based on a Disneyland attraction, one that is right next to the Jungle Cruise !:

THE INDIANA JONES RIDE !!! Yeah!

There is so much action, and....wha?! Wait a minnit, didn't they do that one already? :)

I have the dark hauntig feeling that somewhere, someone IS actually working on a Tiki Room script....

K
kha_o posted on Wed, May 26, 2004 2:47 AM

I have the dark hauntig feeling that somewhere, someone IS actually working on a Tiki Room script....

...how'd you find out my secret?

Disney is still talking about making a Jungle Cruise movie.

EXCLUSIVE: After Toy Story 3 cracked the billion dollar worldwide gross mark and got a Best Picture nomination for Disney, I’m told the studio is making moves to pair stars Tom Hanks and Tim Allen in Jungle Cruise, the live action film inspired by the venerable Magic Kingdom theme park ride. The studio has hired Roger S.H. Schulman to write a script that’s being produced by Mandeville’s David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman, who themselves are coming off a Best Picture nomination for The Fighter. No director yet, I’m told.

Schulman has written on such films as Shrek and Jungle Book 2. Disney has been trying to get Jungle Cruise out of dry dock for several years, but the combination of Hanks and Allen in a family film makes this the equivalent of an E-ticket for a family-themed film. Hanks just direct Larry Crowne, starring with Julia Roberts and producing with Playtone partner Gary Goetzman. Hanks also is attached to another family film project based on the Mattel toy Major Matt Mason, which Playtone is also producing at Universal. CAA reps Hanks.

Here is an animated short subject about the Jungle Cruise....

YouTube: Weird Al Yankovic - Skipper Dan

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to make movie based on Disneyland's Jungle Cruise

Disney Green Lights Dwayne Johnson’s “Jungle Cruise” Movie

Instagram: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

Pages: 1 27 replies