Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum distillery opening on Maui

Pages: 1 12 replies

I'll be in Maui when they open, hopefully I'll get to check it out!

Cheers,

KT

T

Adding this topic after seeing Swanky's Grogalizer post and someone mentioning wanting Hawaiian Rum, think I will apply for apprentice rum maker.

New rum distillery will open on Maui.

Kolani Distillers plans to produce
spirits using local additives

Associated Press
PAIA, Hawaii ยป Production is to begin July 1 at a new rum distillery on Maui, the first in more than 20 years on the island.

Blessing ceremonies for Kolani Distillers were held Friday in a corner of the Paia sugar mill.

Founder Paul Case said he plans a superpremium rum that will rely on Hawaii ingredients. Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar will provide the sugars, water will come from Iao Valley, and local flavorings will be used, including local vanilla, coconut, banana, coffee, lilikoi and mango, he said.

Maui sugar and water are the world's best ingredients for rum, said Case, a retired United Artists executive who had been visiting Maui from Colorado for more than 20 years.

The first bottles of unaged light rum will go on sale Sept. 1. But it will take years to get the first aged rums into bottles.

Kolani intends its rum to retail for $19 per 750-milliliter bottle, well above the $11-$16 range of Bacardi, which dominates the world market, but below the prices of some superpremiums.

Case and his son and partner, Brian, plan to make the distillery a tourist stop for downhill bicyclists and others wandering through Paia.

Seagram's built a distillery at Puunene in the late 1960s but it was not successful and the building was torn down this spring.

In aiming for the superpremium market, Case said he wants to go back to the days of Kamehameha the Great, who was said to be an aficionado of rum after being introduced to it by a sea captain.

According to a historical survey the Cases commissioned, the high chief had stills erected around the islands. Two grades were made, one for alii and a lesser one for the makaainana or working people.

Production of the chiefly high-quality rum was brought to an end when Kamehameha died in 1819 and missionaries, who did not approve of rum, arrived two years later.

"It's come full circle, the Alexanders and the Baldwins," said Robert Sasaki, president of A&B Properties, landlord of Kolani.

Five generations ago, the Alexanders and Baldwins were prohibitionists. Today, Hawaiian Commercial and Sugar Co., founded by a second-generation Alexander and a second-generation Baldwin, are helping the Cases to try again to put Maui on the rum map.

"May the Tiki Gods bless you and all always keep your mug full!"

[ Edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-06-07 06:48 ]

Has anyone had any of this rum yet?

Tiki Bird & I will be on Maui next week--think I'll need to convince him to search this place out. Adventure-time!

On 2004-09-16 23:27, UtopianDreem wrote:
Tiki Bird & I will be on Maui next week--think I'll need to convince him to search this place out. Adventure-time!

Keep us posted

On 2004-06-07 06:38, Tiki-Toa wrote:

Production of the chiefly high-quality rum was brought to an end when Kamehameha died in 1819 and missionaries, who did not approve of rum, arrived two years later.

"It's come full circle, the Alexanders and the Baldwins," said Robert Sasaki, president of A&B Properties, landlord of Kolani.

Five generations ago, the Alexanders and Baldwins were prohibitionists. Today, Hawaiian Commercial and Sugar Co., founded by a second-generation Alexander and a second-generation Baldwin, are helping the Cases to try again to put Maui on the rum map.

"May the Tiki Gods bless you and all always keep your mug full!"

Good to hear of new businesses opening and Alexander & Baldwin doing something worthwhile with their large land ownership.

I just hope there is a tiki, or at least a representation of the historical figure of Maui on the bottle.

TB

Just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii, I found out from calling Kolani Distillers that they are about a month away from selling their rums, tours of the distillery are to come as well. There website is still under construction, but here it is.

http://www.kolanidistillers.com/

R

On 2004-09-16 08:42, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Has anyone had any of this rum yet?

Of course not. Kolani has never actually made any rum. A small, local family-owned outfit has introduced a line of rums which has become Maui's best selling, however. See http://www.mauirum.biz

These are serious rums, and you can even order them over the internet. Enjoy!

J

On 2005-07-07 03:27, rummaker wrote:

Try some real Hawaiian rum: http://www.mauirum.com

you can even order online! Enjoy!

You sir are an asshole! Once would have been enough!

M

Half of the links are wrong as well. Can't even spam right.

M

[ Edited by: MachTiki 2005-07-07 16:43 ]

T

A vote for bannination for rummaker, king of the f*#@-head spammers.

Pages: 1 12 replies