Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

tiki faces in weird and strange places

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies

H

Jurassic park? :)

I am at THIS urban jungle, where Tigers roam...

This shell of a Tiki is hidden next to one of the entrances/exits to the AVIARY at the L.A. ZOO.
With it's palm core rotted out, it must have fallen over, and some Zoo worker who does not relate to Oceanic art propped it up upside down so it can stand on its own:

Its style reminds me of Ed Crissman's Tikis for The Tropics. It probably had a palm root hairdo when new. The cool wrap-around mouth is based on Tahitian/Marquesan design.

UT

Just an innocent box of candy. Look at it at an angle and a tiki looks back at you.

Kleenex boxes.

On 2007-04-01 06:38, uncle trav wrote:
Just an innocent box of candy. Look at it at an angle and a tiki looks back at you.

LOL! but that's no tiki, it's Mother Teresa!

U

On 2007-04-01 06:38, uncle trav wrote:

Thats totally subliminal, not a coincidence.

[ Edited by: unklefun 2007-04-19 15:53 ]

Is that the virgin mother? lol

this concrete ventilation pylon screams tiki at me:

O

Here's a nifty rainwater catching device you make out of a laundry detergent container, spiffy looking Moai, I'd say...

Here's the link:
http://readymademag.com/feature_28_remake.php

I was shampooing the carpet today, I set down the detergent bottle on the counter. When I turned to grab it, I suddenly saw this:

Another green moai!

O

These are screen shots from the PC game Call of Duty.
( OK, I admit it's a reach!)

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-07-13 07:41 ]

"Easter Island"

Well, with a few well-placed cuts in the wood it would be...

Here's a New Guinea mask, as seen by my sister visiting me when I was in Cologne a couple of weeks ago:

(...actually, a jeans shirt sleeve sticking out of a mirrored closet door.)

Ellensburg, Washington.

These are all great. I'm going to have to start looking.

aloha

Ahhh yes grasshopper, you can look but do you see?

On 2007-08-03 07:07, Jungle Trader wrote:
Ahhh yes grasshopper, you can look but do you see?

When I close my eyes, the room becomes empty.

It's not really that one can LOOK for them, they just come upon you, like visions! It's sort of a Shroud of Turin thing.

On 2007-08-03 00:39, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

Ellensburg, Washington.

Urban industrial "found tiki" at its finest. Awesome.

S

Not really my own find, but:

F
Fugu posted on Fri, Sep 14, 2007 8:21 AM

That one is great! The little pointy legs remind me of the suffering bastard mug. If only it had hands to clutch it's head...

that's almost too great to be a coincidence...

O

Palm trees on the former Oxnard Trade Wind's site with Martin V. Smith's tower in the background.

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-09-29 18:41 ]

Theres some great creative thinking and imagination here love it..more more

K

heres one in my garden...

O

Santa Monica, CA

T

A white faced tiki with pionted top and small slits of eyes, don't really see it. Looks more like the ball in Waterboy that is kicked at the end of the movie.

O

Ah Grasshopper, you look but do you see?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-10-10 14:24 ]

Eating my indian takeaway tonight.

Broke the poppadom for dipping in my lamb tikka massalla and what did I see....

For those that can't see it, moai looking across easter island.

Mmmmmmmmm....Lamb Tikka Massalla...Great choice TR! It inspired me to pull my finger out...Plop!...and post this tiki themed building in Barcelona. Can you see what I mean?

Cool eh!!?

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

I'm looking but I'm not seeing.

Looks like the base of the tree.

On 2007-10-15 12:56, Ojaitimo wrote:
I'm looking but I'm not seeing.

Ah Grasshopper, you look but do you....Oh, sorry Ojaitimo! That's your line...so to speak.

If you all look real hard you'll see what I mean. No?

Clear your minds, take a deep breath and...Think MOAI! Still not seeing it? Well check out this next picture then!

For those suffering temporary 'tiki blindness' , a condition caused by looking at excessive tiki imagery, currently referred to as 'TIKI MODERN'D OUT!', let us know and we'll post a close-up detailed pic.

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai, with a sprig of mischief!

On 2007-10-15 13:39, The Gnomon wrote:
Looks like the base of the tree.

Sorry Gnomon, didn't see your comment there. That is a pretty gnarly tiki if ever I saw one, ha, ha! This one has crisp architectural lines, definately not Gaudiesque, as you may expect in Barcelona!

H

:o :o :o

no see!

On 2007-10-15 16:00, hiltiki wrote:
:o :o :o

no see!  

I'm afraid hiltiki (good to hear from you again, by the way!), here in Good Ol' Blighty it's a case of 'no s(l)ee(p)'!! I'm off to bed now so I'll post tomorrow. As it's only 4.00pm there Stateside I guess there's plenty of time to suss this one out, so...get sussin' folks! Have fun...I bid you all Goodnight!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai in my dreams!

H

Pocketiki, is this "suss" as in afternoon tea suss or "suss" as in getting soused out of our minds suss?

O

Suss is life

A couple from this weekend:

door closer

vacuum cleaner

Cool! And that vacuum cleaner works in the Papua New Guinea upside-down two face tradition, too!

OK. How about this.

You were going for the Moai look...

...but to me that row seems more like teeth...

I think you need to look closer

On 2007-10-13 15:32, POCKETIKI wrote:
Mmmmmmmmm....Lamb Tikka Massalla...Great choice TR! It inspired me to pull my finger out...Plop!...and post this tiki themed building in Barcelona. Can you see what I mean?

Cool eh!!?

I see a tiki motorcycle flanked by the tiki building on one side and the tiki tree on the other. Now I'm craving Tiki Masala.
(Note to self, try not to be such a smart ass on TC.)

OK. Then how about this...

...along each of the windows.

I think that one window I pointed out earlier looks the tikiest of them all, though.

And the winner is...Don't get excited there's not cash bonanza of a prize I'm afraid...The Gnomon! Although, I think Jamie at CheekyTiki may have spotted it first judging by the clue he left you? Anyway, I had intended to put up a close-up of the said Moai this evening but, I took my hard drive to work today...Yep, that's right Jamie, I was working on POCKETIKI #3...AGAIN!...and left it here...DOH! Sorry about that but I will post tomorrow and I think you'll like the pic?!

That door closer tiki is awesome! Great find!! Good call on the vacuum Sven!

I've just posted a neat pic at the following: PNG PUNK - I was punk before you were punk!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25997&forum=1&start=last&0

The Gnomon, send me your address in a PM and I'll send you a copy of POCKETIKI #1 before they are all gone! If you want one that is. Not the greatest prize, but what the heck!

Trader Jim - Make mine a mai-Tai!

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2007-10-16 15:31 ]

O

Hey Unga, what does OJ have to do with Tiki?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies