Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

foamy's thread... Long time, no see

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 191 replies

Great piece, foamy - the layers are totally cool. Is there any anti-fedex inthere?!?!

I'm very glad that you have the carving too. I love my benzart pendants, so I can only imagine having a HUGE benzart!!!!

great tribute foamy!

F
foamy posted on Wed, May 17, 2006 6:18 AM

I've had a bit of idle time again. "Last Rays"

T

Sweet!

Very nice!

M

Foamy, this one ("Last Rays" )takes me places. Very well done!

P

that one's great foamy. any details? is it for sale?

Very cool Benzart piece foamy... That's some fine "downtime" work! I like the colors too.

F
foamy posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 5:32 AM

pdrake, it's a pen and ink I did on copier paper in between jobs. Sometimes (rarely now), I get a few hours with nothing to do and I like to draw and doodle and last week had been slack. The art was scanned, and the color was done in PhotoShop (no paints here at work).

Thanks tikigap, Matt Reese, McTiki, pd and Sam-I appreciate it. Though, please don't be afraid to be critical, I can use any and all feedback. It helps to have other eyes and input.

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 19, 2006 7:33 AM

I love it man! Definitely see this hanging in a tiki bar :)

I kinda feel like the sky needs some ink to give it a little texture.

Beautiful work Foamy, as always. I like it because it takes you to other places in your head and it has a very soothing effect. I hope you don't mind, but I'm using it as my wallpaper right now. :)

F
foamy posted on Wed, May 24, 2006 5:06 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back, but yeah Hewey, I tried some different things but couldn't settle on anything that made me happy or wasn't distracting. Kind'a settled on what you see.

And thanks FD, and no I don't mind at all.

B

I really love this one Foamy. Nothing better than sailing alone at sunset (or sunrise, whichever it may be), leaving all your cares to the wind and losing yourself in the peaceful power of the Ocean. If you have ever sailed before, you know that you and your vessel are just a speck of dust on the surface of this unbelievably powerful and serene sea. Nice reflections.

Hey foamy, love the "Last Rays" piece. I like how you cropped in tight and it really captures a moment. You wonder where is this guy going and where has he been.

F
foamy posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 12:06 PM

Thank you Benzart and SwampFire. That one was kind of fun and I intend to try some more along that line.

This is something I've been working on and is intended for iPod skins. Trying to get a series together.

T

BUMP - and Thanks Foamy! I love the "Last Rays" print, proudly hanging in a prominent place in my house! Very nice!

Greg

F

Hey TG, I'm glad you like it. I apologize for the delay, I've been way off track here lately. I'm finding stuff that should have been taken care of months ago. Not good.

Speaking of months ago, someone else requested one of the "Last Rays," and I have lost their e-mails with their name and address. If that person should read this, please PM me again. It's packed and ready, I just need to know where to send it. Again, my sincere apologies.

Steve

P

whatever happened to my "last rays" print?

F
foamy posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 6:25 AM

Ah, pdrake. You're the one I'm looking for... send me your mailing address (again) in a PM, please.

F
foamy posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 6:50 AM

As a design for a T-shirt.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 7:38 AM

Nice one Foamster. Good to see you back posting some art.

Foamy, that's awsome!! I would love to have a shirt like that. If you're selling them then please put me on the list. :)

H
hewey posted on Fri, Nov 17, 2006 7:21 PM

heya man, howya doin? good to see ya back into it.

Nice piece of art there :)

Hey foamy - great piece. I really like the mug compositions, the light plays well off of them. But then again, I should expect that from you - your "last rays" is amazing and centers around the play of light.

Was this a design you've been tinkering with or was it a commission?

F
foamy posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 7:15 AM

Hey, thanks GROG, Finky and Hewey. It's been a while. With Winter coming on, I'm hoping to spend more time doing art that I enjoy.
Polynesiac, thanks for the kind comments, but no, it wasn't commissioned, it was just a whim. I recalled that Flounder had done a series of mug "portraits" (beautifully done, if you'll remember) and I thought it would be fun to put together a half dozen typical, or what some may consider "classic" tiki mugs. Heck, we all have a few mugs and I think it's likely that at least one of those designs has found their way into most folks collections, no matter how modest. Leilani springs immediately to mind (that's really what started it). I've been seeing that mug since my first cocktail in an Oriental restaurant, quite some time ago.

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-11-19 09:28 ]

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:21:46 ]

F
foamy posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 9:43 AM

Hey Poptiki, thanks. I'm gonna throw it on my cafepress shop with some other things sometime tomorrow. Thanks for the interest.

F
foamy posted on Wed, Dec 20, 2006 8:37 AM

Bad idea removed.

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-12-20 08:39 ]

Very cool, foamy. I like the background colors for each mug.

T

Hey Foamy! Howzitgoin?!

I'll buy a shirt or two they're really swell! - xxl and xxxl if you do it!

Regards,

Greg

F
foamy posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 5:26 AM

Hey TG, Sam, thanks you guys. TikiGap, I have a cafepress shop where I post some of my idleness: http://www.cafepress.com/slbradleydesign , it's a bunch of stuff that sometimes sells something every blue moon or so, enough to keep me from paying them.

Cool piece Foamy. Is that digital?
Would make a great shirt.

B

Put me on the t-shirt list too. Cool stuff.

Foamy,
Wow, now that I'm back onht enet - although sloooow - I have a chance to check out some other threads. Foamy, you're good! How come yu can whip out a piece in one day! Sheesh! It takes me weeks! My net is not down loading all the art that's going along with this thread... I can't see that the shirt looks like.... errrr... damn island in the middle of nowhere...
I really love the angery Tiki! My favorite!
Keep up the cool tiki art!

F

Hey, thanks you guys, the dynamic trio! Next to you folks, I just try hard. Yeah, Doug, it's all digital. I can draw better on the machine now than on paper. It's a sad state of affairs (time -wise). No time to play on paper, though I prefer it. As soon as they fire me or I quit (which ever comes first) then I may have some time to use the the ink again. I'll never be your match in Illustrator. I look up to you three, thanks for the comps.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:17:34 ]

Foamy, that is one spiffy tik imug shirt! Nice PC skillZ!!

ST

F

Hey Pop Tiki, thanks for asking. I haven't done a doggone thing except lose a piece (illustrator won't recognize the damn thing now) that I had been slowly perking for a year or two. Damn near finished it and now it won't open, says it's corrupt. Still hopeful though. The "classics" thing I put on: http://www.cafepress.com/slbradleydesign/381235 if you were interested in a shirt. Working on a pen and ink ocean scenic right now, we'll see if it gets to be worth showing. By the way, I'm waiting to see your next creation. Is a new mug or sculpture in the works?

Hey thank you Sneaky, it's not all fun'n games as you read above. I've come to the conclusion that you don't use Gaussian blur in Illustrator. Think I'll follow your lead and use more of the time honored methods (when I can).

Great Stuff Foamy! Love the Classics!
Yes, after many years of making computer art, I turned toward the path of the old school art.... you never have compatibility problems with a pencil or a brush!

F

Haven't been posting or stopping by much the past few years. I'm not sure why. However, it is nice to check in again. I should be able to post some new bits here shortly. It's fun to see how folks have come along and who's still here from those days. Lots of great new talent (to me) and all the folks that are still posting have only gotten better. Cheers!

This one was done a while ago on a morning with a wicked overhang. Still get them on occasion.

[
Rum Demons.

I enterd Lucky Tiki and Old School in a skateboard design contest. They went nowhere.

My last post was 2007? Wow.

I know what it was. In '08 I quit work and hopped on my bicycle and rode across the 'States just to see what our country looked like. Great timing. While I was out riding around, the economy tanked and my savings, etc. tanked with it. Fortunately, my old employers asked me back in '09. Been doing the commute ever since.

[ Edited by: foamy 2012-04-18 13:22 ]

Hey Foamy! Being fairly new here I missed all these, just went through the thread, great stuff!

F
foamy posted on Wed, Apr 18, 2012 1:33 PM

Hi zerostreet. Thanks, you're being kind.

I just riffed through about ten of your pages and not only are you damn good, you're prolific!

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:08:30 ]

C
cy posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2012 8:24 AM

Great looking work foamy!

F
foamy posted on Tue, Apr 16, 2019 9:39 AM

Hadn't done anything even remotely tiki in a while (besides cocktails), Background for an unfinished poster for Asian and Pacific Island Month.

Dang, Foamy, that's nice!

Perfectly executed! Wendy

F
foamy posted on Thu, Apr 18, 2019 9:23 AM

Thanks. Kinda fun, but I'm really rusty, tiki-wise. Perhaps I can get the pens out this weekend. We'll see.

Nice to come in and float around for a while.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 191 replies