Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Which ear does a girl wear a fower in when she's single?

Pages: 1 12 replies

So, I remember there's a polynesian custom where single girls wear a flower behind one ear, while taken girls wear it behind the other.

What ear means single and which one means taken?

(oh yeah, in posting an answer please include whether it's the girl's left/right or the viewer's left/right)

~Hanford :drink:

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-04-11 18:32 ]

S

When wearing flowers in your hair, if you are single the flower should be worn behind the right ear and if you are taken then the flower should be worn behind the left ear.

:tiki:

[ Edited by: SullTiki on 2002-04-11 19:30 ]

When in Tahiti I noticed that the "taken" wahine's also had smaller flowers above their taken ear. The number of smaller flowers indicated how many kids they had.
Iaorana.

More flower info

Check out:

http://www.exotic-hibiscus.com/pages/tahiti.htm?clkd=iwm

A flower behind both ears means you are married and available.:wink:

On 2002-04-11 19:30, SullTiki wrote:
When wearing flowers in your hair, if you are single the flower should be worn behind the right ear and if you are taken then the flower should be worn behind the left ear.

:tiki:

Thank you, I appreciate this answer. Not that I already see myself on a pacific island, but I love customs like that very, very much. Don’t ask why!

KK

http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Kahuna_Kawentzmann/

[Edited by hanford to fix the quote tag]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-04-15 21:18 ]

This is interesting info and something I should be aware of since I wear lots of flowers.

Great topic.

Say, what's a favorite flower you like to see?

Aloha,

Tiki Kiliki

OK, so I checked my Tiki Crawl pix, and I just happened to have worn my flower over the correct ear (the 'I:'m not available' ear. So why then, did BigBadTikidaddy still pinch my ass?

Just kidding. Maybe!

On 2002-04-15 07:16, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Say, what's a favorite flower you like to see?
Aloha,

Tiki Kiliki

Me? Oh, let’s see. The traditional Hibiscus is obvious - you can spot it from far away.
I don’t know english flower names, but let’s say the color should relate to the season and the dress, if possible.

KK

[Edited by hanford to fix the quote tag]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-04-15 21:17 ]

That’s good information to know next time my friends throw a luau I can add some authenticity to their party

DZ

Huh?

Talkie, how old are you? Are you a boy or a girl? Your posts leave me rather confused...

T

Doctor Z,

Tread lightly on Talkie-Tiki - I learned the hard way!

what is that mean

Pages: 1 12 replies