Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ebay Bitching! Need to vent? Vent away!

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies

M
marika posted on Sat, May 6, 2006 7:19 AM

I would never be able to keep something from someone that was made by his/her mother. it's weird that people don't have the minimum of decency you need to go around this world. Ookoo made me forgot that these people existed for a moment. Thank you.

J

TUT - I have that mug already but I appreciate the head's up! Thankfully I was gifted the elusive Hawaiian Room mug and my days of battling it out on Ebay are behind me! My emotion driven obsession on finding stuff to add to my Hawaiian Room research and artifact collection subsided a while back and now I am almost sane!

Now who's got one of the black Hawaiian Room swizzle sticks that I just saw on Crittiki? :P

B

I'm not bitching, I'm just crying.

Egad! What happened there Benehune? Did the seller not know what they had and packaged it horribly?

What did you end up paying for that?

On 2006-05-12 20:42, Benehune wrote:
I'm not bitching, I'm just crying.

Oh my holy crap. Is that a busted Steve Crane Scorpion Bowl from the Luau and other totally bitchin tiki palaces? The shards of it's fractured body are worth more money than my whole mug collection!
If you're willing to sell the pieces of it on Ebay, my starting bid would be $40. It might not compensate you for your loss, but it's a good place to start. So sorry to hear/see this!

B

First off, I learned a valuable lesson: first ask if the seller to double box it, THEN bid. I contacted the seller the next monday (I think the auction ended on Saturday) and the seller was very efficient and had already mailed it out. The seller actually did a decent job packing it. I just want to pass on this hard earned bit of wisdom, ask for double boxing first on rare items.

It was insured, so after sending in the PO claims form, Ebay auction receipt and credit card bill, I should only have to wait about a month or two for refunds.
I paid about $220 for it: one of the tiki legs had a chip. I should be fully reimbursed.

I really did cry. It is such a beatiful piece. I actually have one in mint shape, but I wanted this to drink from. I took this as a message from the tiki gods to slow down... and drink from a glass.

Purchasing an ebay item and finding it in pieces due to poor packaging is truly heart breaking. I purchased a lovely ceramic fish platter (blue/green swirly pattern) and it arrived pulverized. I was so upset, because it WAS in perfect condition. Ever since then, ask the seller to please, please, package carefuly.

I can feel the tears

H

Benehune, you were able to find two of these beautiful bowls? how are you so lucky??

B

On 2006-05-13 23:55, hiltiki wrote:
Benehune, you were able to find two of these beautiful bowls? how are you so lucky??

There is really no luck involved. Only hours of obessive Ebay hunting, almost everyday. Now, if I could only find my wife and kids.

I had a recent ebay problem. The seller packed the mug in bubble wrap & packing peanuts but the box he put it in wasnt large enough. The top & bottom of the mug was wedged in against the box, so the bubble wrap & peanuts only protected it from the sides. Pressure from the top & bottom of the box broke the mug. The seller also didnt mark the box as fragile as well. So the double box idea would have been good in this case.

TBird.

I just was notified by eBay that as of Aug 22nd hey will once again be raising their eBay Store prices.

Store Inventory Listings
For those of you who operate an eBay Store, we're making changes to Store Inventory listing fees, as well as to the on-site exposure we provide for this listing format.

We'll begin charging variable insertion fees for Store Inventory listings, as we do for core listings. Beginning Aug. 22, eBay.com Store Inventory format insertion fees will be tiered with an item's starting price.

* These Store Inventory format insertion fees take effect Aug. 22, 2006:  

Starting Price 	New Insertion Fee 	Current Fee  
$0.01 -- 24.99 	5¢ 	2¢  
$25.00 and higher 	10¢ 	2¢  

* Some Store Inventory format final value fees also will also increase, effective Aug. 22, 2006:  

Selling Price 	New Final Value Fee 	Current Fee  
$0.01 -- 25.00 	10% 	8%  
$25.01 -- 100.00 	7% 	5%  
$100.01 -- 1,000.00 	5% (no change) 	5%  
$1,000.01 and higher 	3% (no change) 	3%  

Please note that for current listings, the new final value fees will apply only after these listings are renewed.  

* For more detailed information on these fee changes, please see our fee changes overview.  

For some time, we've been working to identify the best way to display Store Inventory listings on the site. In the spring, we pledged to sellers that we would test a variety of ways to mingle their Store Inventory listings with core listings on eBay.com. We've tested several alternatives and these tests showed the ideal approach is how we're doing it today - that is, when a buyer's search returns 30 or less core listings, we display up to 30 Store Inventory listings. This is what we'll stick with going forward.

However, starting in about a month, we'll also include an unlimited number of Store Inventory listings after all matching core listings, when the buyer clicks the Buy It Now listings tab at the top of every search results page. When the buyer hasn't selected this option, eBay.com will display Store Inventory listings along with core listings as described above.

I sell hot rod mags on eBay through my eBay store. They retail $4.95 to $5.95 a piece, the mark up on these is slight. This eBay raise, although not extreme, will cause me to have to raise the mags above list price (which I have a moral problem with) or stop selling them as after the eBay fees, the PayPal fees and the final fees I will lose money on them.

The majority of my hot rod mag sales come from eBay, not my web site, so I will also have to cut my magazine orders in half in the future. It is making me really depressed...

Pages: 1 2 3 107 replies