Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Atlanta Tiki History

Pages: 1 4 replies

I came across this really interesting site concerning itself with the disappearing history of Atlanta. After looking through many of the pages, I came across the following:

http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/misc/tiki.htm

Ok..so now the challenge begins. While some of the places listed (Dobbs Luau) we have known about, but alot of the places are new to me. Anyone have any information about the places? I should be able to check out the address locations, but maybe folks out there already have some leads?

Lets dig in!

I believe DustyCajun already posted that link and its images, but further research is always appreciated. :)

The Malibu Restaurant and Lounge location made me laugh; "Across from Atlanta Airport".

S

Trader Eng's is known.

The Luau was near the hospital and got eaten up by it I believe. Never saw that Dobb's TIKI thing before...

Greg Germani, the creator of the website, was at the first Hukilau.
He's an aficionado of all things retro and cool. His collection of C&W singles is without equal, I suspect.

His lovely wife Suellen is head of the Drive-Invaders in Atlanta, the group that brought Hukilau to the Starlight Drive-In for the Sunday day and night event. (I was a Drive-Invader in my Georgia years.) Teri Oldknow, part owner of the Starlight, created the Tiki Drive-In in I think Montclair, CA? Teri was, BTW, the recipient of the Mystery Bowl dance auctioned off a few Hukilaus back, in which King Kukulele did The Dance for her.

A very tiki-connected, very cool group, the Germanis and Co. You will find them often at the Atlanta Trader Vic's. I'd love to get them on here, but they're pretty busy folks, as you can imagine.

"Zazz captivates felt."

[ Edited by: Formikahini 2009-06-18 13:46 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies