Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Tiki Art of Slacks Ferret- Kanaloa Kannibal Mug Glaze Tests on Page 12.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies

Aloha,

I thought I would start a thread of my various Tiki-themed art projects. I do want to say as a disclaimer right away, that I'm not as prolific as I would really like to be, so updates could be few and far between...

First up, my ceramic tiki fountain. This was the largest piece of ceramics I have ever made, not to mention, My first ever table-top water fountain.

This photo shows that I made the fountain in 3 pieces. My goal was to design a fountain that would be functional but also look pretty cool. I also wanted the eyes to glow, so I designed a little area for a tea-light to sit behind the eyes. That's why the top of the tiki's head comes off.

This photo shows the piece all assembled, but not yet bisqued, glazed or painted. In retrospect there are a few things I would have done different (like make a bigger water-collection bowl). The Tiki itself is of my own design. I worry it may not seem Polynesian enough...

Close up of the big guy after being finished with glaze and paint. Notice he is doing a little drooling here too...

Another view finished with water drooling off his tongue.

The completed fountain with succulents planted in it's nooks and crannies. The little hula girl is there to show you scale (but I guess you gotta know how big those little hula girls are). All told the piece is about a foot high.

I'll be adding other pieces as time permits.

Mahalo,

Slacks Ferret

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-02-18 08:09 ]

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2011-04-26 10:11 ]

R
Rain posted on Sun, Feb 15, 2004 4:11 PM

supa cool!

maybe you could look into one of those little fountain mistmaker things to put in it, too.

[ Edited by: Rain on 2004-02-15 16:11 ]

Thanks Rain.
Actually, it was always my intention to have the volcanoe mist up. I've just been too strapped to buy a mister. But I will soon. And I'll post photos once I do

Cool Slacks, i did not know you did ceramic peices. please keep the photos coming of future works.

Really cool Slacks! I've got a little pond in my back yard and am going to need some kind of spitter to keep the oxygen coming, otherwise it gets too much algae. I haven't seen anything tiki related yet, so I might have to get creative.
I bought one of those misters 3 or 4 years ago for about $80, but have seen them recently for less than $30CDN! If you can't find any cheap ones in Alberta, I'll see if I can find one for you here if you like, and send it over to you.

Keep it up!

I love it. Sell me one!

B

Hey Slacks, It wasn't lookin like much until the Glaze and Paint. Boy what a difference. Looks really Cool

Those are pretty dang cool Slacks. I bet they look even better in person.
I bet some kinda tricked out lighting would probally give a killer smoke and fire look if you ever get a mister rigged up.
Unga, one of those would be great for your bar but where you gonna put it? You thinkin about expandin the bar into the kitchen?

Chongolio

Thanks for the comments everyone. I really appreciate the encouragement, especially since ceramics is kinda foreign to me.

I've been trying clay out since it's extremely accessible to me (the arts centre where I work has a tremendous ceramics facility). Eventually, I want to graduate to wood carving...but before that happens I'll need a space to carve (not to mention carving tools).

Until then I have ceramics to play around with. I tried plaster mold casting for the first time last week and had intended to make a few tiki mugs from the mold, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I will try making tiki mug molds again, and when I do, I'll post the finished results here.

In the meantime here are some tiki paintings you may have already seen:

Cubist Tiki (2002) Oil on Canvas

Cephalapod Led Red Sea Peds (1998-2001) Oil on Canvas

Mahalo

Your stuff is just down right COOL. That cephalapod painting reminds me of a dream I once had...

I'll need a space to carve

What? You can't carve outside...in the snow? :)

Keep it coming...

Here's a painting I've been working on for many months, it's finaly at a point where I don't mind showing people, but keep in mind, it's not yet finished.

Tikis playing Poker!
I LOVE it!!

i want i want i want i want i want i want i want!

O

Very nice, I like that fountin alot, and you can't go wrong with Tiki's playing poker.

Cool, a lot of different styles brought to the table.

B

That doesn't look like a poker game where I would leave with anything of value. Those cardsharks would skin me alive. Love it

Slacks,

Its really quite cool to see someone pushing the limits of an art form that's already way out there - Tiki! And that Cephalapod painting ROCKS!!!

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-08-12 22:19 ]

T

Texa Hold Em Tikified..........Sweet, I want a copy. :)

On 2004-08-12 21:36, Benzart wrote:
That doesn't look like a poker game where I would leave with anything of value. Those cardsharks would skin me alive. Love it

That Moai...what a stone-face! I'd love to have one of these S.F.

You know you have to have prints made of the Tiki Poker Game. It's an instant classic.

Thanks everybody for the kind words...
I promise to post an updated and completed pic of Tiki's Playing Poker work when it's finally finished.

Thanks again!

-Slacks

Hooray!
It's finally done! I know it's not much diffferent than the last pic I posted of this painting but you will note changes in the pufferfish, netting and the "Tahitian" and Moai tikis...

-Thanks fer lookin'

Slacks

B

Slacks, whatever you did to it really brightened it up and gave it something special.
I Really love this picture.

8T

The Ferret rocks!! The poker game is sensational. I completely agree with Raffertiki: GET SOME PRINTS MADE.....I WANT ONE TO FRAME FOR MY COLLECTION! PLEASE LET US KNOW!

K
Kono posted on Sun, Sep 19, 2004 8:24 PM

You HAVE to make that into a print. That is awesome.

H

great art work, real nice.

would love a print of that as well.....great stuff....love the fountian as well!

totally awesome, How was the art show? sorry i couldnt get there to meet you. Couldnt get a sitter. Please say your going to make prints of this painting.

Slacks,that is sensational! Yes,you really do need to make prints of that one-I bet you a couple of coconuts that it will become a tikibar staple.Wonderful work!

Hey folks!

Thanks again for the kind words! I'm gonna look into making prints of the poker game. Any suggestions where I should start? Should I go with off-set lithography or try the new giclee variety? What's more cost prohibitive?so many questions....

R

Today I saw this masterfull piece in person.
It is truelly awesome. I stood there starring and could imagine the smell of the room and chatter amongst the players, the music playing softly in the background.Made my wish it was possible to jump into the painting(like steve does on blues clues) My only regret was not meeting the artist in person
Maybe next time.

Slacks that painting is the cat's ass!

I'd really like to own a copy, let me know if you're able to make prints!

M

add me to the list of people who love that poker painting! You already sell the origanol? Nice work

C

Hey Slacks, I got to add my props too. The Tiki poker game is way cool. Regarding prints, There is a plac called "The Crimson Altelier" their name has popped up on TC on another thread. I have never used them but they appear to have decent prices. Take a look:

http://www.crimsonatelier.com/

Any other TC artisans ever use these folks?
Chongolio

Slacks, Love the pocker playing tikis. Great job!

You could try the link below for giclees. She is a one person shop in Tucson. Think about printing two up on one large sheet and trim. It may help get the cost down.
http://judymiller.com/

Thanks again to everyone with their kind words. It's nice to know that there is interest if I decide to make prints. I promise to keep you posted on that...

I suppose it's time to share my first carving. I've been working on this 4 foot piece of poplar for quite some time now (as I said before, I'm not prolific) and I think I'm still many hours away from staining it.

But I have to say, there are definately days that I'm more stoked to carve than paint. It's so bloody (literally) fun!

If you have any comments, I'd love to hear them.

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2004-10-07 23:43 ]

K
Kono posted on Thu, Oct 7, 2004 7:54 PM

On 2004-10-07 17:59, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Thanks again to everyone with their kind words. It's nice to know that there is interest if I decide to make prints. I promise to keep you posted on that...

IF??!! You HAVE to make those prints! This is bigger than you and me and Tiki Central, that painting is an Honest to God future classic!

In all seriousness, you must make prints of that painting. I won't rest (or let you rest) until I get a print! It's really that good IMHO Mssr Ferret. I love that painting and I'm not ashamed to say it. :)

8T

Have you heard enough???

GET 'ER DONE!!!!!!

R

The man can paint and carve. He is unstoppable, I bet if you lift his shirt there is a big red S for super slacks on his chest.
All kidding aside it looks great so far.
We should get together and carve sometime.

T
TNTiki posted on Fri, Oct 8, 2004 7:14 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:21 ]

Aloha,

I just wanted to post some new progress shots of my first tiki. Here he is from the back...I added shoulder blades, spiney bumps and a tuchus:

Here is my second carving that I started: basically just a tiki mask:

Mahalo for lookin'

-Slacks

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2004-11-16 20:12 ]

Spiney bumps! Great idea. That's gonna look sweet, Slacks. They do take a long time, don't they? Patiently waiting for final pics....

Aaron

Hey Slacks,

Don't get too far into #2 until #1 is put to rest. It's definately worth finishing. Keep up the good work.

Looking good, I havent got bloody yet. But I have hit my hand with a mallet more than once. Thanks for sharing , keep us posted.

I've been yapping about making a mug from a mold for quite some time now, and I'm finally getting closer to done.

This is a pic of the first mold that came out in one piece. It's still ruined though, so I can't use it.

I'm happy to report that I've since poured a mug that came out of the mold beautifully. Just don't have a photo of that one. Now I just need to bisque and glaze it. Oh Joy!

HT

Looks like I'm going to have another mug to buy!

Good work.

Slacks -
Just discovered your "Tikis Playing Poker" ... I have to echo all the great things everyone else has said about it ... simply awesome! Love the colors and texture!

Put me on your list of people who want the print.
And what about prints? When are you going to do them? It would almost be cruel if you didn't! :)

K

Hey SF, if you get those prints made, I'm in for one too! That painting is beyond mere words! I have a blank wall screaming for this print! Keep up the good work. The wealth of talent on TC is surely staggering!
K

Done #2:

Still working on #1...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies