Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Tiki Art of Slacks Ferret- Kanaloa Kannibal Mug Glaze Tests on Page 12.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies

Hello.

Just wanted to add some more progress shots of my first tiki. (Boy these things take a while)

Side View

Tuchus View

First of the Protype Mugs

GRRRR...We're gonna eat you!

WOW, that guy is really looking great, and the mug is super cool , cant wait to see the finished product of both.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-01-30 21:06 ]

B

Hey Slacks. thats gonna be a dynamite lookin mug...Well Done

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-02-07 05:33 ]

Slacks,
Congrats on the mug! Let me know when I can buy one. If you ever want to talk ceramics shop send me a PM.
TT

Slacks, the mug is beautiful. The carving is beautiful as well. HOORAY!

Fantastic Slacks!

Great carvings, great mug! Lemme know when I your mugs are available for purchase!

Aloohaaa!

K
Kono posted on Sun, Feb 6, 2005 5:55 PM

Great mug! Any timeline on when it will be for sale? Colors?

Is the tiki poker game print dead in the water? :(

Thanks everyone. It's nice to hear the encouragement. Both projects have been very huge learning experiences.

To answer Kono's comment...No, the Tiki poker game is not dead in the water, a print may yet see the light of day. I just need more time to get them done. I'll aim for May. Hopefully. It helps to give me deadlines.

As for the mug...I dunno yet. I've been toying with the idea of NOT selling them. I think it might be interesting if I made it unavailable for sale...unless you were to come to the Kanaloa Lounge in person (that's right...you'd have to come to my home bar in Calgary) and order a Kanaloa Kannibal.

Just an idea. Perhaps it's my passive aggressive way of getting back at you So'Cal'ers with all yr nearby tiki bars...perhaps it's not. The biggest problem with this idea is that the Kanaloa Lounge doesn't exist just yet...but I have sketches!

R

I will come help build the bar , We want mugs and you cant deny them to us...

K
Kono posted on Sun, Feb 6, 2005 7:13 PM

On 2005-02-06 18:24, Slacks Ferret wrote:
As for the mug...I dunno yet. I've been toying with the idea of NOT selling them. I think it might be interesting if I made it unavailable for sale...unless you were to come to the Kanaloa Lounge in person (that's right...you'd have to come to my home bar in Calgary) and order a Kanaloa Kannibal.

Actually that's a great idea, even if it means I never get one of the buggers. I say it's great because I was thinking along the same lines although you are way further down the pipeline than me. I thought it would be a cool project to make up my own drinks and drink menu and even mugs for a home tiki bar. I'm at the drink recipe stage right now. I've been doing a little research on mug making and am thinking of finding a local ceramics class. Wouldn't it be cool if every TC home bar had at least one signature drink and mug??

K
kctiki posted on Sun, Feb 6, 2005 7:22 PM

quote: "GRRRR we're gonna eat you!"

Those mugs are darling! GRRRR I want one!

Thanks everyone. It's nice to hear the encouragement. Both projects have been very huge learning experiences.

To answer Kono's comment...No, the Tiki poker game is not dead in the water, a print may yet see the light of day. I just need more time to get them done. I'll aim for May. Hopefully. It helps to give me deadlines.

Just an idea. Perhaps it's my passive aggressive way of getting back at you So'Cal'ers with all yr nearby tiki bars...perhaps it's not. The biggest problem with this idea is that the Kanaloa Lounge doesn't exist just yet...but I have sketches!

HA! HA! I'm probably one of the only folks on these boards who will actually be at Slack's house in the (hopefully) near future! I'm gonna hoard all the mugs I can while I'm up there and sell them on eBay for a premium! BROOF!

Wrongdimensionboy: No Mugs for You!

Slacks, that's a great idea!

I bought some of pseudo pots' volcano bowls for my home bar, and would like to make a menu for guests to order from!

Makes it extra fun :)

On 2005-02-08 08:19, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Wrongdimensionboy: No Mugs for You!

:cry:

B

The Tikis are coming nicely too. That #1, when it gets finished, looks like it will Really be nice. I like the extra detail he is getting on his face.

Z

Slacks- Please put me on your list for your tikis playing poker print!

Thanks Benzart. To hear that from a pro like yourself is high praise indeed!

T

I loved seeing the mugs with the tikis eating tikis but I think that is the first tiki eating human. Very nice mug. Give the date when I can come get my mug and I will do the quest. Way to stick it to SoCal. They have it all anyways. Hot Rods and tikis what a dream, plus the weather. I don't know what the Grand Members do but..

Here's idea: Tiki Central needs to make a members card (business card type) with some gold leafing. Ok, now when people like Wrongdimensionboy come for their mug (one per custermer) you can check them off your list. Stamp their passport.

THe personal bar with signature mugs is a GREAT idea. I got one mug, look down, but I need to make a set to be legit. I got ideas and want to make mugs for sale one day too. I know what I like and don't like. If I had a mass produced mug I would keep like 30 for myself. For like family friends (gifts), furture children, and my private stock.
Slacks, keep posting!!

I'm still waiting for word on the prints for the poker playing tikis. What's up?

Here's "Tiki Numero Uno" as he appeared at the Instructor's Art Show" last night.

I don't know if he was really ready to be stained just yet, but quite frankly, I got sick of working on him.

God, I look like a dork sometimes!

But hey, we KNOW that you are not a dork. Next time do a ARRRRRRRRR! with a patch awn yer eye and a parrot AWN yer showlderrrrr matey ARRRRRRR!

Nice work!!

good work Ferret...you look fine next to your fine tiki...
but....is there some sort of conspiracy among members to
masquerade as my buddy Finkdaddy?

Ferret-
Sweet job there.

Such beautiful work!

Nice job on that tiki - it looks great. I usually finish up my tikis once I get sick of working on them too!

How'd the art show go?

B

At least the tiki doesn't look like dork. You would Never want to be known for carving dorky tikis. This guy turned out excellent. Everyone who carves a tiki reaches a point where they refuse to carve no more and call it done and Every one of them could be carved on and tweaked some more, Including mine. You just have to draw the line somewhere. You done good!

Wow. Thanks Everyone. To hear kudos from such talented carvers as Ben, Polynesiac, Jungle Trader and others is indeed high praise. Thanks everyone.

BTW JT (And others), I've decided to do the prints. Now it's just about rearranging some finances to come up with the scratch to make 'em. Soon. Soon...

Good news on the prints Slacks . You have been holding out on us with your carvings.

Slacks you're awesome! With all the painters trying their hand at carving lately, I'm going to have to try my hand at painting sometime. Don't laugh! Great first tiki.

Aaron

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2005 7:41 AM

Cool mugs, and that tiki is cool too. Nice work

I just cleared a space on the wall of the "Anacapa Room" for a copy of TiKis playing Poker. Where do I mail my check again?

Hey Gang! I just did a mug prototype in this neat green glaze which I wanted to show ya...

I also wanted to show off my "Tiki Bob" mug I just got off ebay for relatively cheap...(No "Tiki" in the descriptor)

You can add a mug to my order along with my tiki's playing poker print.

Very nice work Slacks and good score on bob.

T

Thats a mighty fine mug and a super fine glaze. Reminds me of candy, the paint and the sugar. I'm sure mug makers would like to get ahold of the recipe

That mug's is awesome and inspiring.Good job on the glazing I've been making several mugs and am wondering if I should make my protos out of the oil-based clays. Did you finally take the clay classes or did you breakdown and buy the clay?

F

Was that guy a hand-made one-off or did you make a mold and cast it? Very nice, I like it alot.

WOW Slacks! That's a really awesome mug you've got there!
If you start making a few to sell, I'd really like one along with my print too!

You're such an amazingly talented guy, I'm glad to see you finding time to do creative stuff.
Did you ever post pictures of your mural? It's slackeriffic!

Oh ya, if you have the chance you should post a 'Got Bob?' photo!

J

Put me on the list if you do that mug for sale!
JP

B

Excellent mug, I Love that shade of green.

Here's a pic of my third carving. I just put the stain on him today.

Great mugs, tiki and paintings. I like the Picasso/Braque tiki painting and the tiki Exodus an....they all kick butt!

Nice work Slacks. How big is this one? Any pics of the back.

B

Hey Slax, Super nice 3rd carving. ZMethinks you need to spend More time carving. you're a Natural..

nice carving Slacks....gotta see more. BTW...whatever happened to that ULTRA cool painting of
the tikis playing poker....we are all waiting to order our prints!

The prints are getting closer to realization...

Thanks for waiting everyone. HopefullyI'll have a big announcement to make next week...

Here's my last carving at the instructor's show...pic is a bit blurry. I did the ol' calcium treatment to give him a false, aged patina.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 188 replies