Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Tikiphile Events

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1,095 replies

Scottes, you bring rum and you will go home with a few new mugs. How's about that?

:)

..sbim

S

If I go home with a mild glow from Mai Tais I'll be a happy man. But I certainly appreciate your generosity. Thanks!

B

Hey Scottes,

if you haven't already, you need to read "And a Bottle of Rum"

GREAT book about the history of the elixir we so adore.

Nice to have another Rummy aboard! Look forward to meeting ya.

I've got another one that I enjoyed called:

"Rum" The Epic Story of the Drink That Conquered the World
by Charles A. Coulombe, K.C.ST.S

Have any of you read that one?

S

I have both books, and a couple more. Both are great. Damned if I can't find the other two though, one by Ed Hamilton and another that I can't even remember. Buried deep in my pile of books I suppose...

Aloha Folks,

My name is Rick, and I'm from the New Bedford area. I'm very new to collecting Tiki, just started with a few mugs. I had a gorgeous Tiki bar that was given to me by my grandparents, but I let my sister take it when I ran out of room. Boy, do I want that back.

I'm looking to make a spare room a tiki room. Looking for some ideas. One of my other hobbies is I collect movie/TV memorabilia. So, this may be geeky, not tiki, but I have Al Bundy's Hawaiian shirt from the "Married With Children" episode when they went to the fictitious "Dumpwater, Florida"

and I also have the screen-used costume of Ula from 50 First Dates.

This is the one when he gets beat up by Lucy on the side of the road.

I've been reading all the post about your get togethers. Well, just wanted to say "hi". I've been lurking and reading, really enjoy the posts.

Cheers!

Rick

[ Edited by: Bogielocks 2007-02-25 16:15 ]

[ Edited by: Bogielocks 2007-02-25 16:19 ]

just a little reminder
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22961&forum=4&8
RSVPs are appreciated!

--sbim

B

Whats up rick! Welcome aboard!!

And don't worry, that small mug collection of yours will grow.....

and grow

until eventually its beyond your control!!!

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-02-27 08:38 ]

Spotted a sad-looking bar called the "TIKI HUT" at a strip mall in Gardner, MASS (the Mall at Whitney Field). It was closed on a Sunday afternoon and after peeking through the window I'm gonna guess the place is kaput. Though it was hard to get a very good look, there appeared to be some elaborate wood carvings decorating the inside doorway. Anybody know anything about this place? Has anyone been there? If I get over there again I'll get some pix.

Thanks Bargoyle for the welcome. You're right, the mug collection grows fast. I think I'm at about 20 right now. Some dupes, but who cares. A round of drinks for everybody!

Cheers!

Rick

Hey everyone.

just wanted to let y'all know that we're doing a little "thing" on St Pats (this Saturday) if anyone wants to join us. (sorry for the short notice)

We're gonna do the parade in Hartford (the parade is pretty ok....the complete lack of open container policy for the day is exquisite!) and then head back to Bargoyle's Bamboo Room & Lono Lounge for traditional green Mai Tais, Corned Beef, & Soda Bread.

Ok, the Mai Tais WONT be green, but I may be.

If anyone wants to tag along, let me know asap. Its usually a really fun day of booze fueled mayhem.

[ Edited by: bargoyle 2007-03-14 13:53 ]

Wow, Bargoyle, THAT sounds like the right way to do St. Patricks Day!!! It all brings back memories of that great party that reopened the Lono. I must send my regrets. I'm pretty far away right now, from the Lono, from Boston. But that is quite a welcome invitation, and would love to make the trek sometime, once April hits.

B

I'll hoist one in your honor Mayor. Godspeed back to beantown, and as always, you & the Waitiki gang have an open invitation to the Lounge. Happy St. Pats!

B

Bumping this one up for Big Kahuna. Yet another New England tikiphile crawls out of the evergreen forest to discover our tropical paradise.

Alooooha!!!

Also, since Scottes let my cat out of the bag on the New Tiki thread, here's the tentative plan for Bargoyle's Booze Bus & Tiki Tour.

Late Summer (maybe even into Sept.) I'm renting a party bus. 30 to 40 seats depending on interest. Bathroom, & full bar on board...might even take the time to decorate it the night before if the guy will let me.

Then....well, booze fueled mayhem across New England!!

So, Sat early afternoon....maybe late morning....We'll hit all the favorite spots (New Tiki, South Pacific, Bali Hai, etc) most likely ending at the Kowloon. And I'm working on something special for that final stop.

After that its back to the loading area which will prob be a hip hotel/motel somewhere central, where everyone can crash & then nobody has to drive. Hoping that a block of rooms = discount, & maybe even some event there at the hotel...if anyone thinks they'll still be conscious for it.

Then, perhaps a social gathering to commiserate hangovers on Sunday late morning...a little food, some tunes, and we're done.

Oh also thinking that the kick off will be in chicopee at the HuKeLau for the show on friday night before all this happens, but that'll have to be all worked out too.

The reason for all this craziness??

1. I'm not having a Luau this year, and I still wanna do something tiki-themed with the NE ohana (and anyone else who wants to come on up...NY...NJ...I'm looking in your direction).

2. We need a cool annual New England event so I've decided to stop bitching about the lack of one, and start one.

3. I'm kinda mental.

So, more info to come. Still ALOT of details to hammer out.

If anyone has any suggestions about any of it or wants to lend a hand, let me know.

Pm me or post em up. I wanna make sure we maximize the mayhem, so I'm very open to ideas. Oh, and the bus guy wont let anyone fire-knife dance on the bus, so if you were gonna suggest that, its out unfortunately.

Holy Crap I like where this is heading!

And it sounds like something I'd rearrange my gig schedule to be part of.

I'm praying it won't be on some inescapable wedding gig night! Because I'll need therapy for depression if I have to miss this one.

And I love playing the ukulele on a bus!

S

sorry for letting the cat out of the bag... ooops.

I'm in though! Just let me know the date!

J

You can count us in!

B

scottes, no problem man. The bag was kinda opened at the New Tiki.

Granite, I was gonna tap you for exactly that...and perhaps a bit more...

Im thinking live entertainment is needed at any of the places that will allow it (and maybe even the hotel). Didn't you used to have a Hapa Haole band ?

Also, if interest gets big enough, we can upgrade to a big ol greyhound bus or something....

and if interest is weak, I'll hire someone to drive us around in a minivan if I have to.

More to come as details get hammered out & establishments/individuals get involved.

Its the first of what I hope will be a cool annual event, so fair warning...the first time may have some rough edges.....but then again, rum can smooth any edge I can think of.

Sure,I can provide Hapa Haole Music!

I might even have my saxophone exotica band together by then!

Whatever it takes!! I want to help out as much as possible.

I'm in (and I'm kinda mental too). Let me help you with the organizing, bus, etc. Yay! Something to look forward to this year!

HC

sounds great!.....would one of those big ass motor homes work?....we could take one on a test drive...(and spend a "free"night on the state's dime!)

Aloha Bargoyle - just sent you a pm

Does labor day weekend work for everyone for the NE Tiki Tour? or do most people have other plans for the long weekend? I'm thinking its either that weekend (9/1) or the one before it (8/25).

Whats the general consensus here?

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-04-17 10:57 ]

S

I would do 8/25. In case of hangover I'd rather miss a day of work than a day of Labor Day weekend.

:)

I would also be more in favor of Aug. 25

SO many people have regular things they do on Labor Day weekend, including parties and even weddings I may book.

Also, Aug 25th is sooner. :wink:

I'm in if it's on the 25th! (Big car show I need to attend in NJ on Labor Day weekend)

Also, willing to help in anyway, including monetarily, no matter what weekend it's on! Sounds like a friggin' blast!
Luke

[ Edited by: Lukeulele 2007-04-17 13:39 ]

B

I rescind the question. I've been informed that I too have plans for Labor Day weekend.

So, the weekend of the 25th it is. I guess it can have its own thread now...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23775&forum=4&0

Luke! Is that you?!? Funny, I'll be in New Jersey at a big car show Labor Day Weekend too! I might not be able to make the whole thing the week before but, I should at least be able to make Friday night. I have a swap meet on the 26th, must get up at 4:00 AM to make more moolah for more mugs!

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2007-04-17 14:38 ]

B

Ok, so while we're gearing up for the big NE Tiki Tour come August, we still have ALOT of time to get together & celebrate until then.

Anyone up for a Meat & Greet in May?

S

Absolutely, just not May 5.

Are we going to re-try for Hukelau? Or someplace else?

B

I was thinking of a new place...

Pappy was gonna do recon on the Tiki Hut.

Any word on that pappy? Worth a night out for the fine folks in the NE TC?

I'm gonna swing by dis weekend but I'm 99% sure it's not our kinda place... I think we should think HuKeLau.

J

Wednesday 5/23 WAITIKI is playing @ the Milky Way Lounge in Jamaica Plain, MA. There new CD may be released at this show as well. Anyone else want to go? That may be my Tiki allotment for the month of May. Things can always change of course :)

S

Weekdays are very tough for me with work, especially for a hour-long trek into JP.

B

You know I loves me some Waitiki, but going to Boston on a "school" night might be tough. The Milky Way is a really cool place too. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

HMMMMMM! I have Thursdays off & I love The Milky Way! Luke, are you interested????

On 2007-04-25 14:23, Bargoyle wrote:

Good news and bad news:
A) The Tiki Hut in Leominster is closed and the storefront is empty.
B) But it was a dart room, pool room, live band venue, "knucklehead" bar anyway.

Interestingly, you can device for yourself whether A or B was the good news or bad news!

On 2007-04-25 20:10, Big Kahuna wrote:
HMMMMMM! I have Thursdays off & I love The Milky Way! Luke, are you interested????

Arrggg....That's the night before I leave for Paso Robles, CA!

So sleep on the plane!

B

Time to dust this thread off again!

Ok, Waitiki is playing the 23rd at the Milky Way (1 week from today!!) Cd release party. I am soooo there. Anyone else up for it? Show is at 9, maybe some kowloon dinner beforehand?

Lemme know if you're in.

N

On 2007-04-29 07:08, pappythesailor wrote:

On 2007-04-25 14:23, Bargoyle wrote:

Good news and bad news:
A) The Tiki Hut in Leominster is closed and the storefront is empty.
B) But it was a dart room, pool room, live band venue, "knucklehead" bar anyway.

Interestingly, you can device for yourself whether A or B was the good news or bad news!

Funny thing about that spot in Leominster where "Tiki Hut" is/was is that it had been a real Tiki bar back in the day. My grandparents lived in Leominster when I was a kid (70s/80s) and I am 95% sure it was an Aku Aku, it might have been another name but was Tiki for sure. If I recall correctly there were Moais out front but I may be confusing it with my memories of the Moai at Aku Aku (RIP) in Cambridge. I am 100% sure my fascination with it back then infulenced my adult Tikiphilia. It definitely has not been Tiki since the 90's, so sad it fell so far. :(

[ Edited by: nitropic 2007-05-16 14:53 ]

[ Edited by: nitropic 2007-05-16 14:54 ]

S

I ran into the Kappy's in Leominster the other day, and noticed a large Chinese restaurant at the back of the parking lot. I don't remember the name though, but it looked old and the outside had that look that implied it might have been Tiki. Alas, I didn't have time to run in (though I did grab a bottle of Zacapa 23 at Kappy's).

Is this the same place that you guys are talking about?

N

On 2007-05-16 18:10, Scottes wrote:
I ran into the Kappy's in Leominster the other day, and noticed a large Chinese restaurant at the back of the parking lot. I don't remember the name though, but it looked old and the outside had that look that implied it might have been Tiki. Alas, I didn't have time to run in (though I did grab a bottle of Zacapa 23 at Kappy's).

Is this the same place that you guys are talking about?

That Chinese place is the Singapore, it is not Tiki but it has first rate Chinese
decor - lots of beautiful lacquered woodwork and etched glass - and really good food, as for drinks the old guys used to make pretty good ones but last time I got one it was mediocre.

That Krappy's Liqour has been carring lots of the Trader Vic stuff lately, they were pushing the Kona Coffee liquer last time I was in there. Check out this gift
pack from Xmas I found there.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21316&forum=10&vpost=268831

J

From the looks of the last few messages it looks like a trip to Leominster is in order. At least for a stop at Kappy's to help restock the bar.

Bargoyle - I'll be at the WAITIKI show next Weds. See ya there man!!!

Anyone else want to hit WAITIKI on 5/23/07?

Pappy's on board too. We may be heading in together, do a kowloony diner or something.

I know you've got dinner plans already johnman, but if anyone wants to meet up from some grog & grub on wed (even if you're not gonna do the waitiki show) let me know.

AloooooooooHA!

B

OK, last chance. Anyone else in on dinner & show tmrw night for Waitiki?

Granite, Pappy & I are meeting up for dinner, then heading to the show to meet johnman & party down, waitiki style.

If you want in, sound off.

See ya there!

S

When are they going to play on a Friday or Saturday in Boston.

I just can't make a Wednesday night in beantown. Sorry guys.

Me either but I've decided to take it out on my co-workers on Thursday.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 1095 replies