Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

tiki wonderland iv at the tonga hut--sunday, dec.13

Pages: 1 2 3 128 replies

CJ

Nice lookin flyer Grog.

It's been almost 10 years since I've lived in the Valley/gone to the Tonga Hut. From the looks of the flyer, it sure has changed a bit.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 14, 2009 10:53 AM

That's because it's decorated for Christmas.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-11-14 10:55 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 14, 2009 10:55 AM

Thanks.

10 years----time for you to make the pilgimmage and come to the Tiki Wonderland on December 13.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 14, 2009 11:52 AM

We're also going to have a a Tiki Kuki bake-off, so bring in your best Tiki cookie and win a prize.

Thanks to Crazy Al for the idea.

On 2009-11-01 09:33, crazy al wrote:

the yummie tiki swizzle tiki never made it past the ceremonial milk swig

On 2009-11-14 10:31, Coco Joe wrote:
Jeff? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HEvIhdAYFWU/Sq8-FpRd3WI/AAAAAAAASqQ/jHPBsz7lyu8/s400/AbominableSnowman.jpg

that's Big Yetti dude.
my Dad used to dress as one of those for Halloween,
wish he still had the costume,
I'd wear it for the art show.

Jeff(btd)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 18, 2009 1:18 AM

GROG justabout finished making molds for Moai salt and pepper shakers and JavaBob coffe mugs. A few days for the molds to dry out and then GROG can start pouring greenware, and hopefully GROG can have a batch ready by the time the art show rolls around.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 22, 2009 11:01 AM

Just bumping this thread before it gets pushed too far down that nobody can find it.

This is on a Sunday and starts earlier in the day, so Hiphipahula will be bartending when the art show starts. If that's not enough of an incentive to get you there, then you haven't tasted some of her drinks.

Don't forget to bake some cookies for the Tiki Ku-ki bake off. We'll have a winner for Best-Looking Tiki Ku-Ki and one for best tasting.

hmmmmm rum drinks or milk to go with the cookies?
tough decision, maybe Kelly could make a drink with milk or coconut milk.

Jeff(btd)

I vote for Trader Vic's Hot Rum Cows to wash down the cookies. I am SO entering this contest. But don't do the taste-off before 6:30, Grog! I have a photo gig and can't get there before then.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 24, 2009 11:09 AM

Alright, we'll say all cookies have to be there by 7:30pm and we'll announce the winners at 8:00pm.

Happy Holidays! That's right Tiki Boys & Girls :roll: :D I will be your extended Bartender for the Art show from 4:00 p.m.to the wee hours! Starting at 8:00 I will still be serving them up proper with the ever lovely Bartender Miss Lisa Marie! We will be jigger pouring "HipHiPaHula Cocktails" and all the "Classics" all night long. Come try HipHiP & Lisa Marie's "Zoarrow" .......... The "Z" that stands for "Zoarrow?"

12808 Victory Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91606

Since 1958

Kelly,
looking forward to trying some of yer drinks.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-11-25 17:10 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 28, 2009 9:04 PM

If you're in town for Spermy's Party on Saturday, http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34575&forum=17&14 , then be sure and swing by The Tonga Hut on Sunday to do your Christmas shopping from some awesome artists.

** With DJ Jeff (BigTikiDude) spinning Christmas tunes. ** (Maybe we can get Jeff to dress as Santa) :)

Be sure and bring your best Tiki Ku-ki for the Cookie contest. Entries must be in by 7:30 and winners announced at 8pm.

Hiphipahula behind the bar mixing up luscious libations for the masses.

Those are some damned good reasons to show up.

GROG

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-12-05 09:30 ]

well being that its normally pretty toasty in the Tonga Hut when an event is going on there. I have to decline the Santa outfit thing. Otherwise I would just sweat to death.
I could however maybe be convinced to dress as Satan. :wink:

Jeff(btd)

T

Although not as dapper as Santa, I think you could pull off Ole Scratch...

On 2009-11-28 21:04, GROG wrote:
Be sure and bring your best Tiki Ku-ki for the Cookie contest. Entries must be in by 7:30 and winners announced at 8pm.

I wonder if anybody will make Kabuki or Bukake, Ku-kis?
:o: :roll:

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-11-29 21:30 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 30, 2009 7:08 PM

This just in: Lake Tiki will be unable to make it, so POLYNESIAC was the first artist on the reserve list, and will be taking Lake's place.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 5, 2009 9:32 AM

Bump for Sunday next week.

Hope to see ya there.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-12-05 09:32 ]

Day after Spermy's party,
there is goin to be some sorry hung over people there on sun.
ha ha ha.

Jeff(btd)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Dec 7, 2009 11:16 AM

GROG hope ya'll are making some delicious cookies for the Ku-ki contest, because GROG one of the judges.

I will be a domestic goddess, Grog. I bake to win.

can I be a Judge for the Ku Ki contest.
I have lots of Practice eating cookies.
:)

Jeff(btd)

M
Murph posted on Mon, Dec 7, 2009 5:23 PM

Inside Tip:
If Grog is one of the judges bake Snickerdoodles.

O

Hey all,
Been absent of late, and behind scramblin as usual to get some new stuff ready for Sunday. I am starting to post some previews of things as i get them close to completion on my blog, will try to post some stuff here on saturday when i get another kiln load out. Looking forward to hangin out with folks and eating coogies, lots and lots of coogies...

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 10, 2009 10:34 AM

GROG scrambling, too Cass. Got salt and pepper moais glazed and sitting in the kiln ready to be fired. Glazing Java Bobs right now. Glazing Java Bobs is a pain in the ass! GROG glad GROG doing a small edition. GROG was hoping to fire up the kiln on Friday, but it may not be until Saturday. Hopefully some of the pieces will turn out well enough to bring to the Tonga Hut.

Sounds like we all are! I just finished up a bunch of holiday pendant/ornaments, I still have to stain a tiki, make a few more lights and work that silly "regular" gig on fri and sat. Pics coming soon! I can't wait to see pics from the other artists too!

This is FUN!

P

On 2009-11-29 11:12, bigtikidude wrote:
well being that its normally pretty toasty in the Tonga Hut when an event is going on there. I have to decline the Santa outfit thing. Otherwise I would just sweat to death.
I could however maybe be convinced to dress as Satan. :wink:

Jeff(btd)

scratch has nothing on krampus, jeff.

I got the cookie.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 11, 2009 1:30 AM

Bring it to the Tonga Hut on Sunday for the contest.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 11, 2009 10:33 AM

This just in: Got an email from Steph (the better half of Team Diablo) and she says they won't have the merchandise they were hoping to have for the show ready in time for the art show. So, Tiki Diablo is out, and Eric (Tobunga) October is in. (Sorry Greg, you're number 3 on the reserve list.) Now GROG gotta go back and fix the flyer yet again.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 11, 2009 10:44 AM

Looking forward to stopping by.

T

No problem Grog -

Sorry to hear TikiDiablo can't make it, bummer!

Eric has an outstanding selection of merchandise, is a regular and is available...nice!
I wouldn't have been able to make the 'Hut' Sunday as a last minute fill-in guy anyway.

I hope for the privilage to be on the roster for the next Tonga Hut art show...just started a new series of black velvet paintings last night. Should have a whole slew finished in the next couple of months or so. It would be an honor to introduce them to the Tonga Hut audience.

PS: you got the revised flyer posted lightning fast, wow!

So Eric? Where's your sneek peek?

On 2009-12-11 10:44, GROG wrote:

Yay!!! I'm on the flyer.
I will be playing 90% x-mas music,
and just a bit of exotica and surf.
unless of course I get lots of requests for the later.

Jeff(btd)

T

On 2009-12-11 11:20, Hiphipahula wrote:
So Eric? Where's your sneek peek?

Well, ever since I got word from Grog that I'm in the show (YAY!), I've been madly trying to finish up several projects that I was, up until this morning, leisurely taking my time to complete... so... hoping to have some peeks by tomorrow!

Mahalo Grog for squeezing me in at the last minute!

Lookin' forward to hangin and meeting some good TC peeps tomorrow nite! The artist line up looks fantastic - you know it's gonna be a blast!!!!

Here's a sneaky-peeky of some of the things I'll be bringin along:

Some of my x-mas pendants, 2 designs that I've sold on TC before and 2 BRAND NEW designs!!!

Tangaroa:

Marquesian:

PNG:

Cannibal:

Some new styles of beachcomber fish float lamps:

This 3.5 foot tangaroa:

I'll also have a 4ft hawaiian style too (he's not done yet...so no pics)

AND...even tho I have said I'll never make them again I'll have a few fish float lamps too!
Plus a whole slew of tiki magnets and a friendly smile! Be sure to stop on by!!!!

I'm lookin forward to this - thanks for setting it all up Grog!

T

Hey, those look great! Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow, too.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 12, 2009 10:10 AM

Thanks to some glazing help from Kirby yesterday, GROG have 10 Java Bob coffee mugs, and 20 pairs of Moai salt and pepper shakers cooking in the kiln right now. Hopefully they'll all come out OK, or at least a good amount. GROG have roommate who has 3 year old son who come visit now and then, and he call them "salt and pecker shakers".

K

Yeeehaa Polynesiac Is in da house .. Im soo looking forward to seein your stuff...That tiki it classic Polynesiac style and I love it..See ya soon...

Cool work Polynesiac! Here is a couple of velvets I did
recently. Will bring these along with some of Claudettes
ceramic pieces and some fluff stuff!

Oops, I need to finish her hair, flower, and sign it!

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-12-12 15:11 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 12, 2009 3:36 PM

Nice. REALLY nice! GROG like. The top one is the best one you've done so far.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-12-12 15:38 ]

T

Beautiful pieces! I especially like the blue halo effect around the woman in the second photo.

Gorgeous pieces Jason!
and Jim!
That Santa Cannibal is a CRACKUP!
rockin...

M
mp posted on Sun, Dec 13, 2009 1:57 AM

Looks like a ton of fun. I wish I could be there to
check out all the sweet art and knock some back. Good luck to
everyone tomorrow. I will toast to you with a cookie and a rum!
MP

Hey Everybody, wife and i are working on cookies, heres a quick preview of the mugs i will have at the show, seen below, including the 2 MOAI Amber Skowronski cutom underglaze painted.
Mugs have a new style of standardized edition card, and are now sized more appropriately for singular drinks.
Will also have some more pieces by Amber, will have a limited number of AP XL and L THIRSTY t-shirts (design can be seen on my blog) at low debut price, limited number of one of the Ocea Otica sticker designs, a very small amount of AP's of prints from Beachbum Berry Remixed photos, and since i have not had time to shoot the THIRSTY mugs with the dry ice pocket doing its thing, we will be playing with dry ice at the show, look forward to seeing you there..............

MOAI

THIRSTY

G
GROG posted on Sun, Dec 13, 2009 2:50 PM

Running late! Aw crap! Gotta get out the door. See ya'll at the Tonga Hut.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-12-13 14:51 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 128 replies