Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Sept. 19th "Talk like a Pirate Day"

Pages: 1 18 replies

Arrrrr...lash 'm to the mast. Perhaps a taste of the cat will loosen his tongue!

Yo Ho... Yo Ho... a pirates life for me.

Didn't Disney have to change the original version of the song because it talked about rape and pillaging?

Arrrr...

K

argh, and if ye need practice before the big day, don't miss http://pyracy.com - the official online community of Talk Like a Pirate Day, filled with sundry folks who dress up like pirates and do naughty things.

T

Are there good drinks that are pirate themed? Grog? That sort of thing? I am thinking of having a party to kick off the new season of Survivor in a couple weeks... (yes, I am one of the 8 people who still watch that show) and I understand the Survivor this season is kind of pirate themed... so I want to make some tasty libations for me mates! aAAARRrrrr!

TR

Arrrr...Avast Me hearties..ye talk the talk, do ye walk the walk??? aArrrr...
(step...thump...step...thump...step...)(ye walking with a peg leg)

K

here's a relevant thread tikifish..
http://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10

As for grog, I believe it's just rum, water, sugar and nutmeg (with a sprinkling of gunpowder if ya got it)... as for proportions, to be authentic to the 1740 British navy's recipe, 1 pint rum and 1 quart water. Add sugar, nutmeg and gunpowder to taste.

F
F

back in the day,early 80's I used to dress like a pirate to school,I thought I was Adam Ant,what a freak! I might be able to talk like one still... hmmm?

F

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr!!

K

Who would a ever thought a pirate forum could generate enough interest to have 168 people online at once? That's the high so far today at the offical TLAPD forum "pyracy pub" ... The winds are picking up and they're warping the mainmast!

...Click on the picture of Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow on cnn.com to see a Jeanne Moos story on TLAPD

Future of religion discussions between atheists, agnostics, deists and pantheists: http://universist.meetup.com

S

The host on U-Pick Nicktoons (Nickelodeon) is dressed like a Pirate and yes, talking like one too. He just announced that it is National Talk Like A Pirate Day and was making his guest say Arrrrrrrrrr !!!!
(I was watching SpongeBob w/ my daughter)

Arrrrrrrr mateys, 'twas a mighty fine TLAPD for the ol' wreckster. Cashed in me dabloons, shanghaied a fetching wench and helped meself to many tankards o' grog. On the way back to port, crossed one o' the king's gallions, hit 'er broadside and sent em all to Davey Jone's. A very productive day indeed! Arrrrrrrrr

So today, I saw this pirate walking down 5th. avenue with a steering wheel shoved down the front of his pants...

I said, "Ahoy Capt'n! whats with the steering wheel in your knickers?"

"Arrrrr," he says, "she's driv'n me nuts!"

IL

ps. I think pirate themed cocktails should include some OJ to help avoid scurvy.

W

I spread the word throughout the day and of course it was largely met with blank response. At HQ they're used to my random outbursts and general blithering but in the field talking like a pirate just confused folks and even startled one person when she asked "How does a pirate talk" and I gave her a hearty reply in the pirate voice. (Oddly enough "How does a pirate talk?" was a common question...Don't these people have TVs?).

Happily the afternoon traffic reports on KPLU were given in the pirate voice.

I look forward to wider acceptance of this special day and the inevitable Hallmark greeting cards, pirate shaped Marshmallow Peeps, and the Peanuts "Talk Like a Pirate, Charlie Brown!" TV special.

Kroq's morning show did it all week! Arrr!

A

"Talk Like a Pirate, Charlie Brown!" TV special.

I can't wait for that special. Actually more pirate tv in general would be good.
Arrr!
Bluddee Drew Lafitte

Pages: 1 18 replies