Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New "Tiki" hotel in Kansas City, KS (revised)

Pages: 1 8 replies

OK, the link requires registration, so here's the full text and pictures from the KC Star:

People touring Chateau Avalon on Tuesday got a taste of Tahiti in a theme room decked out with tiki poles, statues and thatched huts. The hotel, in the Village West district in Kansas City, Kan., has 62 rooms, including 24 theme rooms. Other themes include Egyptian Palace and Mayan Rainforest.

Posted on Wed, Jul. 21, 2004

A new look at Village West

Come get cozy, hotel says

By RICK ALM

The Kansas City Star

The area's newest hotel offers guests a night in the Lincoln Bedroom, or a New York SoHo-like loft, among its two dozen themed rooms.

The Chateau Avalon, in the Village West district in Kansas City, Kan., had a soft opening last month and a ribbon-cutting ceremony Tuesday.

Mayor Carol Marinovich praised the facility as “another unique attraction” in the entertainment and retail district that includes Kansas Speedway, T-Bones minor league baseball and Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Owner Steve Beaumont, president of Lenexa-based Beaumont Enterprises, said the 62-room hotel was five years in the making and designed for “romantic getaways.”

“This is a place where couples can unplug, decompress and get reacquainted,” he said.

More a bed-and-breakfast than a hotel, the facility has no pool, no spa, no workout room and, hopefully, no children, Beaumont said.

“These rooms are meant for couples, with one bed per room. They don't need to go swimming,” he said. “They want to be alone,” and maybe curl up with a movie from Avalon's library of DVDs.

If families do inquire, Beaumont said, he'll point them toward Great Wolf Lodge, with its indoor water park, game arcade and other family-oriented activities just across the street.

“There's a real symbiosis between us,” he said of the two specialty properties.

Every Avalon room features jetted therapy bathtubs, oversized beds, breakfast in bed and an array of high-tech features including flat-screen televisions, surround-sound music and high-speed Internet access. Room rates range from $149 to $399 per night.

Themed rooms each have their own handcrafted touches, such as mountain boulders and an Old West saloon in the Jesse James room, a giant rain-barrel hot tub in Pirate Cove, and the three-story castle setting of the Monte Cristo room — the hotel's one-of-a-kind deluxe suite.

The 24 room themes are repeated as many as four times, and include names such as Egyptian Palace, Mayan Rainforest, Camelot, Colorado Frontier, Buckingham, Tahiti and Havana.

The hotel also offers meeting facilities for up to 24 persons in an 18th-century-themed boardroom. The hotel's 28-acre grounds are themed as a European estate with gardens and fountains.

Chateau Avalon is managed by Leawood-based Leisure Hotels LLC., part of a group that manages 26 properties in five states. Free tours are available from 1 to 3 p.m. weekends.

For more information, call 1-877-KCAVALON (1-877-522-8256) or (913) 596-6000, or go on the Internet to http://www.chateauavalon.net.

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine on 2004-07-21 14:03 ]

SilverLine, thanks for telling us all about that, and all the more for posting the story.
Here is the URL for the Tahitian room: http://www.chateauavalon.net/Suites/Tahitian.htm They don't have pictures on it yet but here's the text:

"Relax in this tranquil paradise. The 16’ tall mural draws you into this tropical paradise. Tiki poles, thatched hut and a 4 post king bed with mosquito netting make this so real you can almost hear the surf.
From - $219
2 person chroma-therapy jetted tubs
Luxurious linens
Custom line of mattresses
Private in-room breakfast
Large flat screen TV with DVD and surround sound systems & satellite TV
High speed internet in rooms
Suites also have beautiful views of the tree covered valley, the Kansas Speedway the European gardens and the magnificent Avalon Fountain."

At $219, we'd be looking for some occasional deep discounts. The advertised view (but hopefully not sound) of the nearby Kansas Speedway seems incongruous with a Polynesian paradise, but I suppose a lot of people stay in that area to see NASCAR. So far we have a minigolf course and a hotel theme room in KC that are tiki-influenced...is a decent tiki bar or restaurant too much to ask?

How the heck did I miss this??

Musta been out of town.

Thanks for the heads-up!

-BCM

T

Never mind that... I want to know about the Nebraska Furniture mart and T-Bones Speedway!

T
TNTiki posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2004 2:02 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:44 ]

T

Aloha!
I know this is a really old thread, but I wanted to post that I got the opportunity (thanks to my epically awesome wife) to stay at Chateau Avalon in the Tahitian room. Super cool experience, the two giant moai guarding the room were amazing. I will get pics posted as soon as possible. Great time! Worth the visit for sure.

~~ Nature will break what it cannot bend. ~~

[ Edited by: Tikifan1 2012-03-15 23:45 ]

[ Edited by: Tikifan1 2012-03-15 23:50 ]

8T

Nicey Wifey!!! Lookin' forward to seeing your pics.

Finally got a chance to post a couple pics. Really had a good visit to KC... it's looking like my kiddo might be going to college there, so... hopefully that means I'll get to visit the area more. Got to stop in Independence and stopped by the Bamboo Hut also... it's still alive and kicking.. but has definitely seen better days. It's now Ray's Bamboo Hut, actually got to talk to Ray the owner, helluva nice guy, he was the only one there, and we were kinda rushed so we didn't get to investigate too much. I also got to enjoy a Cheeseburger in Paradise while on my trip.. as per the name.. they put on a helluva good cheeseburger and a respectable Mai Tai at that. Two thumbs up for my Kansas City day trip.

Stayed here on my cross country trip in June 2010 when I moved to Cali. Cool place!

Pages: 1 8 replies