Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Help with music

Pages: 1 6 replies

T

aloha! i'm hoping i can get some good ideas from people here. everyone is so helpful with everything else. i want to get some more hawaiian type music. i have most if the iz cd's and one that is tahitian drums and songs. i want to expand my collection, but want to know what some good cd's to get are. i would prefer some more vintage sounding, but newer styles would work as well. mahalo in advance for the help!!

K

I like Alfred Apaka. He can be kind of smarmy sometimes, but if you like mellow 50's-60's crooning merged with more traditional Hawaiian music, then give Mr. Apaka a listen...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002PCE/hugemagazine

Duke Kamoku's Golden Hawaiian Hits is an excellent collection of Hawaiian standards. Lots of goodies on this disk.

Not as vintage, but very similar is the New Hawaiian Band. They were popular mostly in the 80's, but had a very traditional sound. I believe they only have 2 CDs out, but I could be wrong. Both of the ones I've heard are excellent.

On a much more recent note, there's APE. They released a CD called Jungle Gems. An outstanding band that puts out both amazing covers of old standards and new material. These guys are a must see live. They carve Tikis during thier set. Awesome show.

On a more exotic note there's Martin Denny amongst many others, but I'm not sure if exotica music is what you're looking for. If so, check out the music link from Tiki Central's home page and there's a lot of good stuff there to check out.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

If you're going for the old school vintage stuff, I highly recommend anything in the "Vintage Hawaiian Treasures" series from Hana Ola Records and Cord International. Also check out Territorial Airewaves on line.

DZ

New Age/jazz pianist George Winston has a label called Dancing Cat Records that spotights the best Hawaiian slack-key guitarists. Roy Kane, George Kuo, Keola Beamer and Cyril Pahinui are excellent, but you should really check out Led Kaapana for simply incredible playing.

One last thought on this, if you really want to get serious, buy a record player and start hitting the thriftstores. It's a great rush to find on old Hawaiian or Exotica LP that features specific songs or artists that exist only on LP and will never be heard on commercial compact discs. Not to mention the great service you're doing for the future tiki centralites by collecting and preserving a vital component of tiki culture.
Amen.

Tiki 5-0...
Dr. Z is right, the Dancing Cat label is great.
Check this site out. http://www.mele.com
They have an AMAZING selection of hawaiian/and polynesian music, from vintage to contemporary.
Do a search for "GABBY PAHINUI". You can't go wrong with Uncle Gabby!
Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2004-07-25 00:13 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies