Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Jimmy Buffett has first #1 Album

Pages: 1 39 replies

S

I never understood or participated in the Jimmy Buffet controversy here.

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Jimmy Buffett proved he isn't "wasting away" anywhere as he topped the U.S. pop albums chart on Wednesday for the first time in his three-decade career.

I do remember being about 7 yrs old riding in a VW Bug on Carrollton Ave in front of the Camellia Grill and hearing Margaritaville on the radio.

[ Edited by: suzywong on 2004-07-21 19:19 ]

T

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!

I

The Washington Post reviewed Buffet's new album, with the headline 'Jimmy Buffet at Low Tide' There were some real gems of wit in the review ....

• Corona-deluded parrotheads

• somehow give's Motley Crue's 'Girls, Girls, Girls' newfound poignancy

• A tropical Trump, lording over theme restaurants, a clothing line, and those sold-out summer spectacles that allow 9-to-5ers believe they're wastin' away in paradise -- when they're choking on car fumes in Bristow, Va. [[that's the location of the big outdoor arena outside of DC]]

And for those who hate both Buffet and hippies, your hate can now be intensified, as the Grateful Dead song 'Scarlet Begonias' is covered on this release.

The full review can be read here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A545-2004Jul20.html

Vern

This is the sixth sign of the apocalypse.

We are now officially in the end times.

Aye aye aye!!!!! Como me dueles!!!!!!

The masses must be starving, but not know where to look for appropriate musical nourishment.

That, or its difficult for the Mai Kai Gents or even the Blue Hawaiians to get appropriate sponsorship from a label.

The whole jimmy buffet thing again...
I don't particularly care for all of his music BUT I would waste away in margaritaville (if the airfare was free, and by sea plane, or I was given a nice all wood 50 foot topsail schooner to get there)
AND one day I will be a pirate who looks at 40. If you're a sailor, you can at least relate to some of the lyrics.

F
foamy posted on Fri, Jul 23, 2004 5:42 AM

I sail way more than any person who doesn't get paid should, and Buffet still annoys me. Any one listen to Big Sandy?

Sit on a beach in the Florida Keys and sip a Margirita or Corona or even better yet sail around them and do the same.

Then you will understand Buffet.

Foamy, I listen to a litttle Big Sandy.

a lil big sandy

Flounder...the lure of the keys...magical place...

Foamy...I'm curious of your thought process that went from buffet to Big Sandy. I had to read it twice. THats GREAT! Love Big Sandy...all of him...and even if he's 'lil.

T

The return of Buffet is all Alan Jackson's fault. After the success of that damn "5 o'clock somewhere" song, Buffet recruited every country star he could and just about every song on his new album (to my understanding) has some country artist singing along with him. Too late Jimmy, real country died last year with the passing of Johnny Cash. The man in black is turning in his grave. They never played any of Cash's new songs from the past two decades but Jimmy Buffet hops on the band wagon and get tons of air time. Sad Times were living in, sad time.

PS> Big Sandy Rocks!!!!

S

OUCH!!!!

:D

DUDE, WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT PHOTO OF ME!?!?!

a fan of Buffet and buffet

ya ta da ta da I"M LOVIN IT!!!!!!!!

NUmber 1 Second to none!

tonight i am in #1 margratikiville!

M

Just throwing this out there, but do you think that maybe it went #1 because the album features:
Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, George Strait, Martina McBride, Clint Black, Bill Withers & Nanci Griffith?

Those are some pretty heavy hitters in the Country music industry.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:09 ]

M

Sorry. Should have said "... some pretty heavy hitters in the Country music industry (and the guy who did "Lean on Me")." :roll:

I am not a Buffet fan in any way, except maybe Margaritaville. I understand that even admitting that will invoke hate mail.

But I really don't see why Jimmy Buffet is so hated by TC. Is it because he is seen as a sell out? Because he comercializes what you believe is an ideal that is worth more than a beer commercial?

If that is the source of the hatred then I do understand. I really do. But then I don't understand why the same people get excited about the new plastic/electric tiki stuff at Spencers, or the latest tiki find at the Dollar Tree, or whatever.

All that stuff is great too. I just don't see why one is held higher than the other. Or maybe I'm just a cheese-eating midwesterner who just doesn't get it.

Don't sweat it Finkdaddy, there's people everywhere who hate Jimmy Buffett for a any of a dozen of reasons. I personally like "Pencil Thin Moustache" and eat fish tacos from the "Fins" chain of restaurants, but too many of his fans remind me of that frat boy from my univercity who wore a toga with a plastic goose on his head all weekend, every weekend. You know the kind of goober I mean: they take a break from wearing a business uniform all week by wearing a Parrothead uniform all weekend.

Too few standout songs, too many goobers with stuffed birds on their heads.

On 2004-07-27 21:42, MachTiki wrote:
Sorry. Should have said "... some pretty heavy hitters in the Country music industry (and the guy who did "Lean on Me")." :roll:

Okay now, don't be messin' with Bill Withers...he also did "Use Me" (later done by Lenny Kravitz and Mick Jagger) and "Aint No Sunshine When You're Gone." He's one bad mutha...

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-04-10 11:47 ]

He couldn't "leave the young thing alone"?...

I am not a fan of Buffet, but I also don't go out of my way to make a major case out of it.
I mean it has gone so far out of control that I can’t even have a parrot prop on my bar (yes, I also know it is not geographically correct as well) without being scrutinized for it.
All my friends outside of TC don’t give a shit about a stupid parrot prop.

I like the song "Let's get drunk and screw"

for obvious reasons.

but I'm not a Parrothead, although people in my bloodline and higher-ups at work are. When I hear Buffet playing in the background at a work or family function, it's a good sign that the rum is flowing freely and people are relaxed and in good moods.

Sam,

I meant no disrespect to Bill Withers. "Ain't No Sunshine When You're Gone" is definitely one hell of a song as well. I love his voice.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-07-28 12:54 ]

MachTiki - no big deal.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-04-10 11:46 ]

S

It must be the Apocalypse run for cover....

Jimmy Buffett has been booted to #2 on the charts by Ashlee Simpson.....

J

Am I missing something or has no one acknowledged the triumphant return of Buffetiki?!! Where've you been man?! You still know how to PARTY HARTY?!

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-07-28 17:26 ]

TM1

Ah, buffett......can't understand the hatred?

For myself, it's not hatred....it's that this guy's music is just not that good!

it's mediocre, watered down tripe, and for somepeople, he is like a God!

So I don't understand the adulation!

SuzyWong....deedle deedle dee!

Remember the flute, every time the camera shows the little tiki?? I loved that!!!!

S

Not everyone hates bubba, only about 2000 haters out there.

T

Ah hell, even after my nasty post I have to admit I kinda like the "Volcano" song a little bit, and the Irish band at the old Shillelagh bar in Detroit does a damn good cover version. Maybe were all just jeoulus, or maybe I'm just in a good mood cause I'm drunk. Still, to be around for some twenty years with out a number one hit is impressive, most artists would have died out by now. I can respect that even without being a fan.

T

Oh my god, I have been to the Old Shilleleagh! That place is a dump! But people seem to like it...

T

A dump indeed, but a classy dump, and we Irish are not that hard to impress.

Irish are not that hard to impress

nope. all we need is guiness, whiskey and craic. And sometimes just one of the above will do.

Now back to regularly scheduled jimmy buffet thread...

UB

Unga is Irish Alcoholic Tiki Head.
Now back to thread again.

This in from Otto--JB doing Quiet Village with Martin Denny-does this mean that jimmy Buffett is officially "tiki"!?!?

Jimmy Buffet's recent gig in Hawaii for his "Tiki Tour" features
Martin Denny on one track and an introduction by Don Ho
Thanks to Mike Freeman for this tip
here's the info from the website

http://www.mailboatrecords.com/artists/jimmybuffett/albums/live_hawaii.php

1. Great Heart
  2. Coconut Telegraph
  3. Gypsies In The Palace
  4. In The Shelter
  5. Burn That Bridge
  6. Son of a Son of a Sailor
  7. Come Monday
  8. Natives Are Restless Tonight
  9. Grapefruit Juicy Fruit
  10. It's Five O'Clock Somewhere
  11. One Particular Harbour
  12. Cheeseburger in Paradise
  13. We Are the People Our Parents Warned Us About
  14. Quiet Village (with Martin Denny)
  15. Tiki Bar
  16. Everybody's Talkin'
  17. Why Don't We Get Drunk
  18. Jolly Mon
  19. It's My Job
  20. Boat Drinks
  21. Far Side Of The World
  22. A Pirate Looks at Forty
  23. Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes
  24. Mexico
  25. Margaritaville
  26. Volcano (with Henry Kopono)
  27. Fins
  28. Back To The Island (new version w/ Henry Kopono)
  29. Stories We Could Tell

About The Album
This two-CD set includes 29 tracks, recorded live in Hawaii,
2004. Album
features guest appearances by Hawaiian music legends including
"Exotica"
King - Martin Denny, Henry Kopono and an introduction by Don Ho.
"Live In Hawaii" is available exclusively through
mailboatrecords.com. Buy
this CD set and receive a bonus DVD, containing 6 songs!

The funny thing is, JB has been reading our mostly anti-buffet posts...so he thought;

" I'll show these pineapple heads a few things about Tiki and Exotica, I will pander to the Tiki's, be all things to all people, and fill my album with hawaiian artists, just to be cool"

How do I know he has been reading these anti-parrot posts?

I have it on good authority that our own McDougall is actually Jimmy Buffet!!!!

McDougall, sorry I outed ya! I know you didn't actually want your true secret identity known, but I just could'nt resist!!

"I know it was YOU McDougall, and you broke my heart"

some other guesses:

It was McDougall driving that DMB bus, and it was McDougall on the grassy knoll, too!!

He's everywhere!!!! EVERYWHERE!! AAGGGHHHH!!!!

Was McDougall the walrus too?

Pages: 1 39 replies