Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Three Wise Monkeys

Pages: 1 15 replies

I was wondering how many (any?) have the Three Wise Monkeys as part of their Tiki collection? I know they aren't strictly Tiki, but like shrunken heads, they add a bit of depth to a Tiki bar.

If so, show us your pics.

Trader Woody

I don't, but as a bit of history...

I've seen the original 3 wise monkeys. They're a wood carving at the Toshogu Shrine in Nikko Japan.

The monkeys are part of a much larger set of monkeys that were meant to show all the stages of life. The 3 famous ones are meant to represent childhood.

http://www.nikko-jp.org/english/toshogu/sanzaru.html

This was described to me as a new era of peace in Japan, and a turning away from war and toward optimism and more artistic pursuits. The Monkeys represented the new life that children would have in the new Japan.

Coool!

I can picture fezes on the tops of their heads.

You know you're a poly pop addict when...

I used to have monkeys in my tiki bar, but they drank up all my rum and threw bad stuff at the cat...

Bad monkey! No banana!

I don't collect the three monkeys, but my girlfriend's sister does, which makes gift-buying for her pretty easy since I encounter older monkey sets a couple times a year. She and her hubby have been very thoughtful toward me in the tiki arena and he collects eagles so I've developed flea market "monkey-dar" and "eagle-eyes" to go with "tiki-dar","dino-dar" and "googie-vision." She also collects the four monkeys (with "do no evil"), which I suppose is like Polynesian pop's relation to Polynesian pure. I used to call her about three frogs, etc, but she tells me she is "monkey specific" which I think is a neat phrase. There is a metal set of the three monkeys that shows up in Wichita at a hefty price because it was the logo of a local manufacturer for years. I don't remember the company name off-hand but I think it was a foundry.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-07-27 00:07 ]

monkey mugs from japan

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:06 ]

T
TNTiki posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 7:47 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:07 ]

dupe post

[ Edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-08-04 11:14 ]

On 2004-07-23 13:33, BarkerBird wrote:

I've seen the original 3 wise monkeys. They're a wood carving at the Toshogu Shrine in Nikko Japan.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. That would explain why my 3 Wise Monkeys were made in Japan.

Trader Woody

E

This is an interesting thread! I didn't know about the originals in Japan either...that's something I'd like to see. I have a friend who lives in Japan, I should send him on a mission for me...(or better yet, go visit him).

For some reason, I cannot resist them and have two sets. One as mugs, the others as candle holders. The candle holders were actually a Target find!

I started counting how many monkeys I had in my Tiki Room and stopped when I realized I had over 30! You really can't tell though when you come in...many are tucked in little places.

One of my newest monkeys is from Archie McPhee...the smoking monkey. I love him, and he's just a little guy with an addiction to Lil' Smokes.

E

This is an interesting thread! I didn't know about the originals in Japan either...that's something I'd like to see. I have a friend who lives in Japan, I should send him on a mission for me...(or better yet, go visit him).

For some reason, I cannot resist them and have two sets. One as mugs, the others as candle holders. The candle holders were actually a Target find!

I started counting how many monkeys I had in my Tiki Room and stopped when I realized I had over 30! You really can't tell though when you come in...many are tucked in little places.

One of my newest monkeys is from Archie McPhee...the smoking monkey. I love him, and he's just a little guy with an addiction to Lil' Smokes.

I have 2 pieces that have a 4th monkey, the last monkey has his hands covering his privates. I bought the last piece from an anitque store and the lady said, " See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, but whats this one?"

I said, "Always wear a cup"

It got a pretty good laugh, but this is the only 2 I've seen like that.

E

I'm going to have to be on the lookout for that elusive 4th monkey!

I forgot I have some on a bracelet too:

I also have one lonely guy that is a wax candle that was a Marshall's find a long time ago. I never did find his buddies and I still haven't turned him into a wax memory by lighting him.

Pages: 1 15 replies