Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

m o n d o . . . l o u n g e . . . october 16

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

IT'S OFFICIAL!!!

http://www.mondo-lounge.com

Okay - i guess it's about time for me to do the proverbial - who from t.c. is coming list :wink:

Attendees
Futura Girl
Mystiki
Humuhumu
Mr. Smiley
LAWebChick _MonkeyBoy
AquaZombie + Tiki Goddess
Mean Genie + Wence
Kick the Reverb
King Kukulele
C.B. Howlie
Annalulu + hot date
Johnny Velour (stag)
Lady Velour (pouring drinks!!!)
Hiltiki
Baxdoggy dog and da mrs.
PiPhiRo

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-10-14 05:39 ]

This may be a very dumb question ... but I've looked over the website quite carefully and still can't figure out where it's taking place ... some place in LA, I assume? But where, exactly?

Also -- how much? Registration page leaves the $ amount charmingly blank.

I'm sure it's on there somewhere -- I often overlook things.

it will be in l.a. in the los feliz area of los angeles, ca...
i cannot release the exact location until my contract is signed this thursday.

also, the top of the registration page specifically says
"PLEASE CHECK BACK BY AUGUST 1 FOR OFFICIAL TICKET PRICE and ORDERING INFORMATION"

i will release the ticket prices as soon as the final budget is done... i am waiting to hear back from my Las Vegas headliner with his final budget. it will comparable to tiki oasis and similar events.

thanks for the tip - i just added a couple of extra notes to the site thanks to your tip s.s.

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-07-24 09:53 ]

Lots of stuff going on with the event... AND Tickets are finally on sale...

I am announcing **Special Friend Tickets **here and on Lotta Living for an extra $5 discount off the price.

Regular early bird tix are $40
Late registration is $45
At the door - if they're still available - will be $50

BUT the special insider deal is $35 - I'm sorry i didn't give everyone much time on this, but i have been frantic putting this thing together and waiting for budget estimates from dozens of different people... As it stands - i am going on faith for alot of it... ANYWAYS... you must purchase before the end of this month... August 31, 2004 to get the 'special insider friend' offer

PLUS, as an addded bonus, the first 100 people who sign up will receive a free copy of the next Atomic Ranch Magazine when they show up and get their wristbands...

(Of course, there may be volunteer opportunities as well and those will be announced as the event gets closer.)

OH, and every PAID ticket holder gets a commemorative SHAG 4 oz. shotglass!!! That alone is worth the price of admission...

And of course there will be lots of participation from many T.C. members - which i will be announcing after i have spoken with everyone about their involvement.

whew!

OH... and if you want to get the really cool postcard mailer that our own T.C. Sam Gambino designed (with a VERY SWANKY Dean Martin Tiki on it!) - make sure you are on Cherry Capri's mailing list - because I am going to use her list to print out the address labels.

If you are on Otto's Tiki News list and get his mailings - you will be getting a card.

But if not, here is where you can sign up online:
http://www.cherrycapri.com/join.php

It sounds like it's gonna be one cool shindig, FG - what else would we expect from Cherry Capri's cousin? :)

http://www.samgambino.com

The Purple Orchid IS ON as the official DRINK MASTERS!!!!!!

wooo hoooo...

WOW! This is only a few blocks from my house! Anyone planning on going for sure? ...and by the way, I've seen Vargas perform in the Bally's lounge in Vegas and he's AMAZING. He used to do a Bobby Darin impersonation way back in the late 80's/early 90's and that was great too.
I'm excited!

M

I love the scavenger hunt idea! These are always fun for spectators and participants alike! Great job, Futura Girl...@;-)

We'll definitely be there for sure.

H

Can't wait! This one's been on my calendar for quite some time now... wouldn't miss it for the world! Bamboo Handbag will be there too, of course. Should be a blast!

S

YAY, I might just be able to make this, I'm gonna be in LA that weekend!!! I saw the price list, and wil find out this weekend if I can come. So will buy before Aug 31 to fit the friends discount! wheeee, however, I've scoured that site, and being a non cal-ee-fornication-er I have no idea where this is yet... The folks I'm staying with have 2 nice n vintage automobiles... is there any more info for folks that are clueless?
PEa

M

the link for the mail in form did not work for me.

Sounds too good to miss, Futura Girl! I tried the mail in form too, but it's invalid. I'll check back in a bit. By the way, looking forward to Charles Phoenix's slide show too - I'm not at all surprised that he's involved with the event - perfect fit. Thanks!

TikiTimbo

Okay, I looked again at the flyer, and I wanna git tiki central discount before next Tuesday, but
WHERE THE HECK IS IT HAPPENEING?
Do we randomly drive down the roads Looking for it?
maybe y'all don't want pea there, so yer hiding the info, I git it... It's cuz I got
outta hand with the koi pond at Monkeyskull's party, huh....
Damn tiki punch.

Elysian Masonic Lodge
1900 North Vermont
Los Angeles CA 90027

It's a cool space to hold an event like this!

sorry - 'bout the mail-in form... I fixed it.

the daytime rally will start in a 'still to be announced' location near the corner of hollywood and vine.
the nighttime party is at the lodge. thanks l.a. web chick!

here is the page with the location AND lodging info:
http://www.mondo-lounge.com/location.php

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-08-27 20:43 ]

FYI: I am extending the special friend discount through the end of the month for Grand Members! See the Grand Member forum for the SECRET link.

Also - I wanted to announce that we have Senor Amor (of Molotov cocktail fame) and Lee Jospeh (of Dionysus fame) spinning between live music sets!

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-09-04 18:03 ]

S

Foo, I wanted to git the tikicentral discount tickets yesterday, but my dern friends down n LA havent yet responded if they wanna go or not, so I might not know till the last minute.
Looks like tons of fun!!!
PEa

My wife Monica (The Tiki Goddess) definitely plan on making this scene!

If you plan on swingin' by, come up and say hey. I'll be the guy in the leopard fez. Well, one of 'em.....

[ Edited by: AquaZombie on 2004-09-21 12:07 ]

mR SMILEY is planning on going!!!

OK, just finished the latest revision of the website - LOTS AND LOTS of new additions, including listing some of the various prizes, vendors and goodies.

Although Mondo Lounge, IS primarily focussed on "LOUNGE," not exactly tiki, we still got some Tiki Central folk in the house!

Plus, the GRAND PRIZE for the Car Rally has been donated by none other than Casey from Caliente Tropics, Palm Springs. You WANT to win this one - it's a 3 night getaway for 4 people that includes 4 SPA treatments and some other nice perks!

http://www.mondo-lounge.com

H

I'm starting to get REALLY EXCITED about Mondo Lounge... it seems like every day I hear from another friend who's coming to town for it! Who from TC is going to be there?

MG

Humuhumu, I was going to ask the same question! I can't wait! Wence and I will be there.

We're coming.
Ran

Here are some LAST MINUTE NEWS UPDATES on Mondo Lounge, Saturday October 16, 2004.

Cultural Community Unites!
Numerous Museums have signed on to offer Mondo Lounge attendees special discounts including:

the Petersen Museum
Hollywood Heritage Museum
the Erotic Museum
Hollywood History Museum
Hollywood Wax Museum

Midnight Screening of "Olive or Twist?"
The critically acclaimed documentary/comedic film from San Francisco filmmaker Peter Moody about one man's obsession with the Martini will be screened at the historic Vista Theater at Midnight on Saturday Night.
http://www.lottaliving.com/oliveortwist

Media Sponsors have been added!
The San Fernando Valley will provide the Swanky soundtrack as attendees drive the Car Rally route: KCSN (88.5 FM NPR Arts and Roots Radio) and KLAC (the Fabulous 570 AM).

How can you say the word Mondo! without thinking King Kukulele? Yes, that's right, the King will make his presence known to all at Mondo Lounge with a little bongo help from C.B. Howlie!

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-10-06 09:44 ]

MG

GREAT to here that C.B. and King will be having a little jam session! Can't wait!

http://www.fallingcocos.com/

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-10-06 10:10 ]

A

I will be there...have two tix, but so far it's just me. Hope I can round up a "date" in time!

S

annalulu!
If my friend Becky doesnt tag along, and ya don't mind a crazy Seattleite as yer date, I'll take yer ticket if it hasn't found a home..... git back to ya next week!
PEa

MonkeyBoy and I will be there! We're planning on taking home the Car Rally prize :)

H

well it is official I have paid and I am going. I guess?????????????????????????????????????? .

I wanna go! This event sounds too good to pass up. I just have to "work the bugs out". Should know by monday...hope there's some tix left.

I'm curious who is participating in the car rally? And when is everybody planning on showing up? I'm curious to see what other TC'ers have in mind. Alas, I look like a pressed sausague in most of my vintage stuff, but I think I find something that might be suitable.

H

While I feel a strong urge to represent tiki among the lounge cultures, I'm going to take this rare opportunity to bust out some of my non-aloha vintage wear. I'm gonna do the car rally--I'm gonna be someone's navigator betty!

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-10-11 16:55 ]

S

Okay, soooooooooooo
My friends both with beautiful vintage cars are passin on the rally, and there is a show in Hollywood I really wanna go to, sooooooo, sadly I am going to skip Mondo... HOWEVER...
Will any of you kids be around Friday night? That I know of there's no plans for me and the folks I'm staying with, so maybe we I can visit at the Hotel y'all are staying at, or if there's a dinner, maybe I can join?
Lemme know!
thanks
Pea

M

slim possibility Mr Smiley will hit the Tiki Ti friday night at 12:30--only if I can drive fast enough from SF and if Trader Vics in SF isn't open yet!!

*On 2004-10-11 17:27, sweetpea wrote:*Okay, soooooooooooo. My friends both with beautiful vintage cars are passin on the rally, and there is a show in Hollywood I really wanna go to, sooooooo, sadly I am going to skip Mondo...

noooooooooooooo... don't skip mondo s'pea! you're coming ALL this way... no show in hollywood can equal the show that Mondo will put on for you!

i'm sure there's another vintage car you can ride in. maybe even with humuhumu and troy aloha?
and in the event the nighttime party sells out - we are gonna sell cheaper "rally-only" wristbands to raise additional $funds$ for the Modern Committee which is a good cause to support... they will include all the perks of the rally including hanging at the petersen car show and the discount admissions to the museums (including the Erotic Museum... oooooo), etc. just NOT the evening party and movie. so tell them keep it as an option.

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-10-12 01:29 ]

OK OK
We are going to be there ! ! !

MG

I may have to get out the old tuxedo for this one!

Well, I think I can finally pop my head up and resurface for this one! I've been in tiki limbo since starting my new gig, but the suburbanpagan will rise again and have some fun!

I am 90% in, should know for sure within the week.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!

I'd like to offer a discount at Mondo-Lounge to all Tiki Central members on all of our unframed limited edition serigraphs. Regular members will receive 15% off. The GRAND MEMBER discount will be 25% off to help support Tiki Central. That 25% discount could easily pay for your Grand Membership.

Thanks, Gene

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-10-12 10:10 ]

P

I have my ticket and will be there.

here are some fun work-in progress pictures...

test driving the rally - parked in front of norms with my friends Rebecca and Nathan

the stacks of goodies just keep coming... Barracuda donated 800 of their classic issues!

naomi from 8 ball and humuhumu and tiki todd hackett help stuff the bags!

steve (tiki hai) is looking clean shaven and ready to mondo - surrounded by a sea of orange bags.

We're driving the 64 Plymouth convertible beater-mobile (also known as the deathsled)... we'd welcome a TCer or two if anyone wants to ride along with us! Though it would just be for giggles and the museums and bragging rights, since T&I will be claiming the prize for our very own :wink:

I finished making a lil som'en some'en for a door prize.

On 2004-10-15 20:58, LAWebChick wrote:
Though it would just be for giggles and the museums and bragging rights, since T&I will be claiming the prize for our very own :wink:

ahhh - but the Grand Prize is for 4 people!!!

I'll be the first to say, MONDO-LOUNGE was awsome!

It was possibly the best party I've ever been to. The bands were great. I love the Martini Kings. It was cool having them and King Kukulele and C.B. Howlie play in the same room with the vendors.

M-M, please do again next year if not sooner!

Here's a pic of me, Tony from the Martini Kings and his little friend.

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2004-10-17 13:36 ]

It was a great party, but we had to leave before it ended. Who won the prizes? (I'm rooting for LAWebChick)

Pages: 1 2 61 replies