Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Who's the next Oceanic Arts?

Pages: 1 16 replies

Is it South Seas Arts? House of Tiki? Bosko? Benzart, Chikitiki, Boobam Ben, Keigs, Basement Kahuna, Lake Surfer, Polynesiac, Octane? (forgive me me if I didn't mention your name) Or is it as yet unborn? We're all a loose bunch of individuals. With all the talented carvers, it seems some of us could team up and start something huge. Gecko has the idea when he teamed up with the painter. Who will it be?

Well how about Tiki Farm?

And Munktiki,...and Chongolio....and

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-07-25 10:14 ]

O

i would have to go with south sea arts and Gecko, he has aswome designs great carvings and as jungletrader said has a painter as well.

How about Spencers Gifts, Target or maybe Walmart! :lol:

Good one Halibut!!

B

How about there will Never be another Oceanic Arts. There will be many other individual art producers but as far as a group to come along and have the impact OA did it would have to be in another field altogether, something that does not exist at the moment. O A did so much to populate so many commercial establisjhments with Tiki Art and decorations that the tiki movement will never experience that palce in time.
That doesn't mean a group of us can't get together and create a Huge Tiki art supply company. I'm open to suggestions and am willing to help in any way, but I've already been around a long time.
Maybe Gecko's South Seas Arts is on track but time will tell.

On 2004-07-25 14:35, Jungle Trader wrote:
Good one Halibut!!

If you dont mind, I prefer sole.

Not Holy Mackerel?

That doesn't mean a group of us can't get together and create a Huge Tiki art supply company.

Ben I'll be expecting the first shipment for the european branch from you soon then.
Please ship to.....
Anybody else?

B

I Like " King Fish" better..

On 2004-07-25 14:39, Benzart wrote:
How about there will Never be another Oceanic Arts. There will be many other individual art producers but as far as a group to come along and have the impact OA did it would have to be in another field altogether, something that does not exist at the moment. O A did so much to populate so many commercial establisjhments with Tiki Art and decorations that the tiki movement will never experience that palce in time.

I have to side with Benzart on this one... Oceanic Arts is not just another place you can buy a tiki. These guys defined the Polynesian Pop era with their style and made a MAJOR impact. And they are still doing what they do best -- the decade of destruction (80's) couldn't stop them. They are both living legends and for NOT being followers but for being innovators. The Godfathers of Polynesian Pop if you will.

I'm not saying that today's talent doesn't have it -- they do. I just believe that Oceanic Arts started and established the field that today's artist is just trying to fit in to.

Again, no disrespect to any of today's talented artists, carvers, etc.

The next Oceanic Arts in my opinion, has yet to be born or already exists and we just don't know who they are yet. But they're not in the Polynesian Pop/Tropical/Hawaiian/Etc genre. They are in another genre and we won't realize who they are until 40 years from now when what they are doing now becomes passe and then becomes cool again because our kids will appreciate it after it has disappeared and will realize what an impact they have made.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:00 ]

B

They could be Emeril and Cooking with Bobby Flay or the trading spaces. People on the forfront of a New Different phase of an industry.

We're in a new tiki era now though. I understand that there will never be another Oceanic Arts, just like there'll never be another Trader Vic because of the era they lived in.
It's coming back around and I'm just wondering who will ride the crest of the next wave. Really I'm trying to light a fire and get people thinking about how big it can be. Who will innovate, and tweak it just right and make the old look new again. It's exciting to be a part of it and watching how it all unfolds.

*On 2004-07-25 22:05, Jungle Trader wrote:*It's exciting to be a part of it and watching how it all unfolds.

I am also enjoying watching this all unfold, as new as I am to all of this. I think that the current trend is one of commercialization of a new craze, coupled with 'lotto fever'...add a pinch of beany baby hopefullness, and,voila, "cash me in, baby, I 'm too hip to be here".
What makes the past fun are the stories that come along with that special piece of history. The Suffering bastard will always be the original produced by Trader Vic's regardless of how many limited edition reproductions are sold. Go spend your money on the new beanie babies, but don't be supprised if they never sell for more than you paid for them...\

Out....

I want to be the next coco joes! :D
key chain, anyone?

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-07-26 00:53 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies