Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

When did this happen? Non-Shag Disney tiki mug!

Pages: 1 40 replies

Someone is auctioning a few of these e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13843&item=2258946518&rd=1

I think I recall a post that they had been designed, but weren't being sold yet. Now it seems they're sold out. When did this happen?

What the hell, I've been waiting for that mug to come out too...

I feel scammed somehow.

-Z

Here is another one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2259478912

What gives is right! I like these mugs better than the Shag mug(not that Shag's mug is no good). At least Disney is trying to sell some cool merchandise. Here goes more money to Disney.

I saw on a Disney site that the Enchanted Tiki Room will be "closed for repairs" August 1st through 2005. I hope they don't mess with a good thing and try to "upgrade" it. Maybe a grand re-opening mug might emerge? After all, Disney is the Grand Poobah of all merchandising...

I'd much rather break on of these than the Shag mug. Still no info though. SOMEONE must know!

I've read no "upgrade" in the works. Just normal cleaning. It'll look brand spanking new when they're done, I'm sure.

Tiki Farm is producing these for Disneyland as a general release mug. I was told by Holden a few months ago that these would not be a limited edition item and should be a continuosly stocked product. It is still possible to sell out but I heard that it was supposed to be an ongoing item for the park.

I will defer to SugarCaddyDaddy(VP at Tikifarm) and see what he has to say.

S

Ah Monkeyman to the rescue! Along these lines, shouldn't the tiki multitude be planning some kind of mass pilgrimage for the last days of Tiki room as we know it?
Anyone know for sure the last day? I'll be there!

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2004-07-26 14:19 ]

Here are some more theories, rumors and quotes on the Tiki Room:
http://www.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-51015-P-1&Refresh=0726120334

I was also there a few months back and the place was PACKED! They cleared the shrubbery out from the entrance so that people don't just pass by not knowing what is inside (less tropical atmosphere though).
But as others posted at laughingplace.com, the majority of tiki pole features were not working AT ALL, and you could hear a lot of squeaks and other noises.

am hoping its just a termite problem.

I was at the Enchanted Tiki Room in mid-July, and was very suprised at the lack of the talking Tiki's that used to be in the front waiting area. I also couldn't believe that they didn't even have any Tiki mugs whatsoever at the gift shop nearby.

Here's an update from MousePlanet:
*Long-Awaited Rehab
The following three items are reported by David Koenig.
Beginning Friday, July 30, the Enchanted Tiki Room, the Plaza Pavilion and Aladdin's Oasis will be shuttered for a major, seven-month rehab. One source claims all three structures will be gutted and the interiors rebuilt.

Most in need of attention is the oft-neglected, termite-infested Tiki Room. "The Tiki Room interior will be completely rebuilt with the audio-animatronics sporting new technology," a cast member reported. "The show will NOT change to the one like Walt Disney World. Our Tiki Room will retain the original music and show."

The last few years Plaza Pavilion has served as an Annual Pass processing center, currently handling overflow with primary operations transferred two months ago to the Bank at Town Square. It will eventually be replaced by a permanent AP processing center in the San Francisco District at DCA. One rumor is that the Plaza Pavilion will get new kitchens and return from the rehab as a restaurant once again. Others claim the facility will be converted into a giant pin store/trading center.

The possibility of new kitchens will also determine the fate of Aladdin's Oasis, which had common food prep areas. Some speculate the area, now used as a storytelling venue, may again become the Tahitian Terrace.

Scheduled completion date is March 12, 2005.*

That "sold out" thing is a blatant lie. There will be no limits to it's production run. This mug was designed by "Miehana" Kevin Kidney before Shag ever did his Disney mugs. It is only just coming out now, because Disney was too dense to realize there was a market out there until Shag fans started camping at the park gates to get into the sales events.
NOW they got it. Kevin and his design partner Jody are very talented artists who also did the illustrations for Jeff Berry's "INTOXICA" and the Poly Pop evolution chart in the BOT.
They finally got the greenlight to do all kinds of Disney Tiki merchandise, which is promising to be NOT just cheesy crap but actually cool and quality stuff.

Tikibelle and I recently took the "Walk In Walt's Footsteps" tour, (which I highly recommend), and first stop was the Tiki Room, which we got to explore before the park actually opened. The Tiki Room expert that took over that part of the tour showed us the one tiki pillar that had been completely revamped and now worked perfectly - all mouths opening in sequence to the music, the inner-set of teeth working, etc. He also showed us where a toucan and a flower had been removed from the room for restoration. He indicated that this piecemeal renovation was going too slowly and that a major overhaul was probably in the works. I assume this closure is what he meant.

The best part of the tour was a private Tiki Room show for just the tour members, which, like I said, occured before the park opened. I even got to take the cane and tap Jose's perch, waking him up and starting the show (quite a thrill for me). We were able to wander the room as the show progressed, peering into tiki mouths to see the mechanical workings within, etc. It was a lot of fun.

I think this closure is just the wholesale renovation that was promised.

Sabu

Thanks for the info!

S

I just put a post in the events section about hitting the Tiki Room Thursday night...or Friday night...how do we figure out which?

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2004-07-26 18:54 ]

S

Oh...and when do we get to see some samples of the Kidney goodies. Seems only fair that we get a prevue of some kind. Pretty please?

I just got a call from Maui Matt telling me about his new Disney tiki mug! They're on sale there right now! $14.00 and there's a tiki hat of some sort too. They're in one of the adventureland shops and not the Disneyana shop on Main Street. Happy shopping.

B

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:15 ]

Here's a thread from last year about this mug, it has a picture:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3828&forum=1

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:00 ]

C

Disneyland was out of the Fuschia as of yesterday when I ordered mine, but they still had the remaining 3 colors. Good thing more are arriving in early September! (per Holden's email)

I also have one of the tiki hats on the way that was mentioned earlier in this thread - they say it looks like a tiki mask but you wear it on top of your head, rather than over your face - I'm very curious to see it....

B

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:10 ]

C

$14 each (+ shipping). &, yes, I did order through DelivEARS on Wednesday. But, from Holden's email it sounds like they may not be taking orders anymore(??????) Probably worth a try anyway - good luck!

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:01 ]

M

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-08-05 07:45 ]

This is pretty typical of Disney to misjudge their merchandise. They order a lot of generic crap, and then order a few unique items and figure they won't sell too well. You'd think after the first Shag event, they'd clue in to the demand of tiki items. $14 is a ridiculous price, but I'm glad I got some. Like Costco, rule of thumb at Disney is to buy it when you see it and never hold out. Hopefully they will order A LOT more in the future.

Anyone going this Sunday?

I sense a Disney trip soon.

Hi All,
I was at the Big "D" today and wanted to confirm that they are definitely out of the Kidney tiki mugs for now. There's a table of Shag Tiki room stuff in the Adventureland Bazaar (notecards, puzzles, mouse pad, t-shirt) and a couple empty spots where I think the mugs must have been. I plan to check back in September...patience, patience...

TikiTimbo

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:03 ]

Hi TNTiki,
Just emailed you - I'll try to help you out!

Cheers,
TikiTimbo

My husband and I went to the Tiki Room last night and we were surprised to find all four mugs in stock. The castmembers were very gratious and restocked the mugs from the backroom as soon as were purchased our set. However, they were out of the Tiki Room building that lights up ($150). Did anyone buy this? Thanks!

C
croe67 posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 2:30 PM

Tiki Room Building that lights-up!?!?! First we have heard of it - but sounds like a definate must have, but for $150, sure would be nice to see it first. I guess if I don't like it I could always sell it on TC or Ebay.....

C
croe67 posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 4:01 PM

Darn - I was too late - all of the Light-up Tiki Houses are gone - apparently they do come in 2 sizes, so maybe there is one that is less than $150?? They did say that they will be getting more in, so I should try back - they also said they are out of the mugs, again - at least for now.

Thanks for the update, good luck with getting your mugs! The Tiki Room light-up comes in two sizes? Did they say when they were getting more in stock? Does anyone have pictures?

S

Mouseshoppe has all 4 colors (gold, olive, teal, purple) in stock for $18 a piece. Much better than what they are going for on ebay for those of us that cannot make the trip to Disneyland.

http://www.mouseshoppe.com/product.cfm?ProductID=6060

T
TNTiki posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 7:08 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:07 ]

Ditto on the "thanks" SullTiki! I ordered a set from MouseShoppe also. The total cost of ground shipping for the set of four mugs was $11.25 in case any one is wondering.

TikiTimbo

[ Edited by: TikiTimbo on 2004-08-04 17:41 ]

M

AWESOME JOB SullTiki!

I was on that site yesterday, but I didn't see these, just the Shag prints.

My set's on it's way as well.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-08-04 07:47 ]

On 2004-08-02 14:30, croe67 wrote:
Tiki Room Building that lights-up!?!?! First we have heard of it - but sounds like a definate must have, but for $150, sure would be nice to see it first. I guess if I don't like it I could always sell it on TC or Ebay.....

That must be the model kit of Welton Beckett's DisneyWorld Hotel. It is a very simple plastic kit, to make a boxy more 70s looking A-frame which looks great when you put a lightbulb in it, all glowing in 70's brown and orange. A bit pricey, but a treat for the midcentury modern/Tiki enthusiast.

B
BaronV posted on Sat, Aug 7, 2004 9:32 AM

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:10 ]

M

All four arrived yesterday. They are awesome. Tiki Farm has done it again. Great job Holden & Co.

Pages: 1 40 replies