Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Polynesian Lounge in Albuquerque...Where'd it go?

Pages: 1 4 replies

D

I hope this isn't a topic that has been brought up before...did I read anything in the forums about the Polynesian Lounge in Albuquerque, New Mexico changing ownership recently? I did a drive by over the weekend and it was called Mr. K's, I went in and spoke with the manager and was told that the establishment had recently been sold and renovated "GASP" and that the Polynesian bar had been removed and replaced with a cabaret dinner show act "E-GADS"
I was so distraught by the news I left the building not bothering to look into the renovated bar to see if anything remotely tiki had been left standing. Not until I passed California's state line did I realize there could be some Polynesian lounge tiki treasures just lying "unloved" thrown around someones garage. Waiting to be put into someones personal tiki shrine. DOH!!! Anyway, I did a search on TC and came up empty on any info for the place, I even checked out Critiki and found nada on the current status? It would seem that yet another one of our precious, ever dwindling temples of tikidom has bit the big one :(

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-07-26 11:08 ]

I

Wow, bad news indeed. Albuquerque is my home town, and I was looking forward to visiting the Poly.

Nuts.

I-Tiki

I've chatted with Jane Baker, the wife in the owning couple, a few times and was working on an obit for the Polynesian Lounge, which I've now posted in the Locating Tiki forum: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10121&forum=2&1

D

Thanks Tikijackalope for the very thorough explanation of what happened. At least the Tiki's are still in the family and will be able to be enjoyed by the public in the new family business. Would you happen to know what the name of the new place will be, so we won't have to hunt it out? We gotta keep track of the Tiki's! I have literally driven past it every year for 10 years, 4 of which I said to myself "I'll just check it out next summer" I can't believe I missed this place!
Geez! What a weenie!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-07-27 09:58 ]

DawnTiki asked

Would you happen to know what the name of the new place will be, so we won't have to hunt it out?

I don't think they've decided on the name or a timetable yet but I chat w her every once in awhile so I'll post updates. Right now I'd settle for a pics...just wanna know what I missed on my RT66 trips.

Pages: 1 4 replies