Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Where can I find some "authentic" tiki info?

Pages: 1 9 replies

I am looking for a good source of illustrations, etc. of the "real deal" - original Tikis created by Oceanic Natives. I picked up a dogeared copy of "Arts of the South Seas" (The book mentioned in Sven's Book of Tiki). I has some great stuff, but I'm eager to find more.

The best thing would be some actual line art - black & white illustrations, or even something like a Hawaiian coloring book (if one exists) with original native tiki designs and maybe a description of the tiki god's name and legend or story.

Another thought is to get ahold of some Captain Cook type engravings or illustrations that were made before all of the tikis were destroyed by missionaries or rotted away.

I've looked all over the internet for something like this, but haven't had any luck so far.

You know how things begin to blur when you make a copy of a copy of a copy? I'd like to start with the "basics" and design around it for my next set of tikis.

Any ideas out there?

Mahalo,

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness"

-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron on 2004-07-26 14:16 ]

[ Edited by: Aaron on 2004-07-26 14:17 ]

Oceanic Art by Anthony JP Meyer
It's a great book (or set of books, depending on which version) but it's mostly photographs... no line drawings (if memory serves me). Out of print currently, but still in stock at some stores that sell thru Amazon.com.

Still, it's 2 inches thick and chock-full of tiki goodness.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-07-26 15:08 ]

Z,

Thanks for the info!

I found lots of different books by that name on Amazon used books, but not by that author.

I'll keep looking... In the mean time, if anyone else has any ideas....?

Aaron

B

Aaron, you can get some info and pix from the Bishop Museum at http://bishopmuseum.org/ other than that you just have to keep searching in gooogle.

Aaron, I just got through reading Traditional Tapa Textiles of the Pacific. It is full of great photos and is broken into chapters based on island groups. It's expensive, but my local library had a copy so I got it for free (but had to give it back :( ).

M

AAron, Look for "arts and crafts of hawaii" by Sir Peter H. Buck, bishop museum press. (ISBN 1-58178-026-5) The section on religion has lots of line drawings and photographs of Tiki. It's a very informative book dealing with historical arts and crafts. Hope this helps.

Mark

Z, Benzart, Patrick & Mark,

Thanks for all of tips. Now I just have to look all of these up!

I'd like to keep this string open for awhile just in case anyone else has anything to add.

Cheers!

Aaron

On 2004-07-27 13:57, Aaron wrote:

I'd like to keep this string open for awhile just in case anyone else has anything to add.

this thread will remain unlocked as long as you only discuss the books themselves... and not the typefaces used to print them. You have been warned!

:lol:

-Z

B

Aw c'mon, I want to know the specific typefaces of each book

On 2004-07-27 14:40, Benzart wrote:
Aw c'mon, I want to know the specific typefaces of each book

Only if they're Tiki fonts.

And you've created them.

Pages: 1 9 replies