Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What are the best Rums for a home made Mai Tai?

Pages: 1 7 replies

Following Trader Vic's recipe in the main for the classic Mai tai, I have been experimenting with different rums to get the best tasting Mai Tai (in my opinion).

So far the best mix of rums in my home made Mai Tai are El Dorado 15 year Special Reserve (strong, rich, caramel) and Havana Club Anejo Reserva (oily, smooth and tasty).

Has anyone else got any rum recommendations for the classic tiki drink?

(this is not meant to duplicate other Mai Tai recipe posts, I wanted to get other tiki folks personal recommendations rather than try a 1001 variations from books)

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-07-27 09:53 ]

My favorite combo is good ol' Myers Dark and Kaniche Rhum Martinique. That said, Kaniche is an almost-impossible to find brand these days, although I've managed to stock up on a supply that should last me a couple of years.

If you go back to Vic's very first Mai Tai recipe, it calls for 1-ounce 15-year old J. Wray Nephew Jamaican Rum and 1 ounce Coruba Jamaican Rum. He later switched to Martinique rum because he couldn't get a supply of the J. Wray and Nephew Rum anymore. Now, if you look at what's available these days, you'll see that Appleton Rum is made by J. Wray Nephew. So I figured that Appleton Estate Extra might be pretty close to what Vic used, since it's also aged up to 18-years (although it is a blend.) I tried it, along with the Coruba, and it was excellent! I would recommend you give it a whirl...

Kon-Hemsby, I just noticed that you were from England--you might be able to get your hands on some Rhum Kaniche--it's imported from France but they don't have an American distributor right now.

DZ

Myers's Dark Jamican & Mt. Gay Barbados Sugar Cane make the perfect Mai Tai rums, although at times I'll replace the Mt. Gay with St. James Hors d'Age (Martinique) for some extra richness.

H

Kon-Hemsby where did you find Havana Club Anejo Reserve?

Probably the best Mai Tai I ever made used Noa Noa Rhum Brun (Tahitian) and Cruzan Black Strap. It was even better than an Old style Mai Tai at Trader Vic's.

Unfortunately the Noa Noa is getting really hard to find, but it is a wonderful rum so if you ever see it, get it!

On 2004-07-27 22:47, hiltiki wrote:
Kon-Hemsby where did you find Havana Club Anejo Reserve?

I'm in the UK, so it's EVERYWHERE!

I hate to sound cheezy, but Trader Vic's Mai Tai rum makes a rather nice Mai Tai. It has such a unique aroma and taste that I haven't been able to duplicate with any blend of other rums. That, and it is only about $8 a bottle.

-T.J.

Pages: 1 7 replies