Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents “Bon Voyage Enchanted Tiki Room” at Tiki Taix VI on July 30th!

Pages: 1 20 replies

After 41 Years of Enchantment, Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room will be closing on July 30th!! Join us at Tiki Taix VI as we pay homage to our beloved “paradise in our own backyard”. Say goodbye with a Mai Tai to Pierre, Fritz, Michael, and of course Jose.

Friday July 30th, 2004 and every last Friday of the Month 10PM No
Cover

This month at Tiki Taix, our main event is a once in a lifetime attraction from the world of Miehana’s Musical Mele! The largest and most in depth Enchanted Tiki Room salute in the world will be brought to you by Miehana as we fondly remember the magic.

AND!

Rodd Grogg reporting live from The Enchanted Tiki Room on its last night via Satellite. This will be one of Rodd Grogg’s biggest reporting assignments ever as he will have the exclusive story on the demise of Walt Disney’s own personal favorite attraction. This is his first time back to Adventureland since he covered the closing of the Tahitian Terrace.

ALSO!!

King Kukulele and The Friki Tikis will perform songs by request. “Name any song ever written”! Tiki Tarmu will be mesmerizing the night with his personal brand of vibrophonic magic. “Whats wrong with playing the vibes all day?” -Tarmu

PLUS!

PART II OF:
On February 3rd, 1961 Mrs. E.G Barber (nicknamed Marty) and her friend Mrs. B.E. McDougall boarded the S.S. Oriana in Vancouver Canada, bound for Honolulu. While out at sea, they were invited to celebrate the birth of Katherine Mellard, she was born on February 9th, 1861 and was turning 100. Katherine took Marty and her friend B.E. back a 100 years to the mid 1800’s. Now Marty will take you back nearly half a century to WaiKiKi with her immense scrapbook. This time capsule is too huge to see in one night...so lets just take a peek. We have Marty’s souvineers from Martin Denny, Webley Edwards, and Walt Disney. -----1961!

AND!

The debut presentation of an award winning commercial featuring King Kukulele. Don’t miss this chance to see director Gavin Carlton’s winner of “Best Commercial” at the 2004 Valley Film Festival in a rare public showing.

ALSO!

Here comes THE RETURN OF EXOTICA KARAOKE!!!!!

PLUS!

Our monthly installment of “Mai-TaiKus”.

Join us for this one night only night one time. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

I only fell for that "name any song" thing once. Never again...

Shakalolo, please.

Hey, although I know I won't be able to attend this time (King Kukulele has already recieved an explanation), I highly reccomend the event. The more TC memebers that show up the more fun the event is, so try to make it if you can...

Ran

I haven't seen the King since his fullerton days. I'm going to try my hardest to be there.

hey king! is this the TAIX on Sunset in Echo Park? I drove by it a few days ago and want to make sure it's the same place! I'm there!

Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. Echo Park 90026

suburbanpagan!! If you drove past Taix on Sunset Blvd. then you also drove past the Lemoyne Lanai which is about 2 blocks away. It will be great to have you there.

Floratina - "Shakalolo" might find its way into the set list if I can just remember how it goes...

holy cripes, king! I've been going to a house of Douglas to work until our office space is ready...I've been in your neck of the woods so many times already! This will be great! Finally!
Thanks for the address too, ookoo lady!

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-07-28 22:38 ]

I'd fly over from Germany to this one. Wonder what Kevin will pull out of his hat! Darn #%&$!

Dang! Family birthday dinner.........but I promised the King that I would show or he would hang me by a ukelele string......May be late, but I can't break my word......Yeah sure.......................

Well its showtime and we are all looking forward to a wonderful night. I think the ghost of Walt Disney will be with us tonight. SEE YOU AT TIKI TAIX!

Oh sure King, just mention the boy birds of the Tiki Room, yeah, they might get top bill, but what about poor Mimi, Colette, Suzette, Fifi and Josephine and damn....now I'm forgetting some, did I get that right....help!

You forgot Gigi!

HL

I wonder what happened to Rosita?

We arrived in time for Rodd Grogg at the Tiki Room. The room was pretty full, but was invited to share a table in the back. My favorite was the Friki Tikis doing the theme song from Hawaiian Eye!

Thanks Bongofury,
My favorite was "Braks Hawaiian Vacation" by Humu Humu! Yep thats right folks, Humu Humu stopped the show with her rousing rendition ot the Space Ghost classic. Everybody loved it and hopefully it will become a monthly tradition. The main event though was the Tiki Room Tribute by Miehana and I want to extend a very special thanks his crew for putting that together. Walt Disney would have dug it. Their live performance of the missing Offenbach music from the current show got the biggest applause of the night. Thanks also to Floratina for helping out too!

See you on the 27th when uke legend Bill Tapia is scheduled to return.

T

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tiki Room is just closing for renovations and will be re-opening, right?

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires will come to you...

It is not the policy of the management of Tiki Taix to take at face value the public statements of the management of Disneyland.

On August 26th, 2000 the fabulous Kahiki restaurant in Columbus, Ohio "temporarily" closed its doors. "In two years we will be opening the brand new Kahiki in downtown Columbus right on the water!"

Last night we payed tribute to the greatest show in Disneyland. It was the biggest Enchanted Tiki Room tribute in the world...I think. It was a great party and show, just in case. Just in case the Tiki Room follows the demise of the Kahiki, but I don't think it will.

See you at the 42nd anniversary of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room.

Anybody know if there's going to be another Tiki Taix this week?

Just heard from the King himself that there IS indeed a show tomorrow night. He said he was gonna post an announcement today, but I haven't seen anything yet.

So for now I would assume it's pretty much "same time, same place" as usual.

Pages: 1 20 replies