Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

International Tiki Day celebration in Chicago 8/15

Pages: 1 31 replies

B

Aloha All!
Celebrate International Tiki Day with us this year by enjoying brunch at the fabulous Chef Shangri-La in beautiful North Riverside, IL on Sunday August 15th from 12:00-3:00.

Yeah, I.T.D. is officially the 14th, but why not celebrate it the whole weekend? This is just a fun get-together to recognize I.T.D and to enjoy the Chef. There is no admission charge, there will be nothing for sale, you only pay for what you eat and drink. In fact, if you are among the first to arrive, there will be a free commemorative screen-printed poster for you.

Those of you who have been to the Chef know that it is one of Chicago's hidden oasis of tropical delights. Many feel that the Mai-Tai at the Chef is second only to Trader Vic's (but a much better value!). Exotica will tickle your ears, there is loads of vintage Witco to dazzle your eyes, and their food is always a tasty treat.

So come out and join Paul, Susan, and the whole gang. Enjoy the tropical atmosphere, Sip the magical Mai Tai, taste the classic cuisine, and hear exotic sounds at the Chef Shangri-La.

The Chef is at 7930 West 26th Street in North Riverside.

Hope to see you there!

[ Edited by: boutiki on 2004-07-27 21:05 ]

Here is a litte more info on the poster.....it's going to be screenprinted multi-color on .010 high impact polystyrene and limited to a run of 50 pieces. So come on out for the buffet, celebrate ITD, and enjoy the ambiance that is Chef Shangri-La!
See Ya There,
Dave & Coalbe

V

I damn wish i could join you on this...I loved so much the Hala kahiki and the Chef...
and meeting the Carters and Vastas is a real pleasure by itself...

Count Randy and me in! We had a great time last year!

T

Me and the Wahine are in.

After reading our original post we realized we forgot to mention a very, very important fact about the poster, that the design was done by our good friends, Amy & Duke Carter. On another note, we were at the Chef over the weekend and were told they will have an expanded buffet on 8/15 similar to the Exotica Sunday Buffet. See ya at the Chef.
D&C

I'd like to come, but are kids welcome (ages 4 and 6 and, from what I'm told, well-mannered)?

It would be a nice way to recover from the tiki party I'm throwing for the block on Saturday night.

On 2004-08-05 08:40, Tiki Flange wrote:
I'd like to come, but are kids welcome (ages 4 and 6 and, from what I'm told, well-mannered)?

It would be a nice way to recover from the tiki party I'm throwing for the block on Saturday night.

Yes, by all means bring the whole family! There will be other kids there as well, so come on and celebrate ITD at Chef Shangri-La.
See Ya at the Chef!
Dave & Coalbe

BaMbOoLoDgE...where the South Pacific meets the Great White North!

[ Edited by: BambooLodge on 2004-08-05 09:26 ]

Count Jay & I in. It sounds like a good time!!

B

Here is a picture of the screen print poster coutesy of BambooLodge. These will be given out free to the first 50 attendees. Don't forget to make a reservation with the Chef! Their number is (708) 442-7078.

Noticed the number was a little off - try 708-442-7080.

I accidently called some guy's voicemail - did anyone else do this too? opps!!

T

Ditto, the guys is probably like what the......?

On 2004-08-10 18:40, SallyandJay wrote:
Noticed the number was a little off - try 708-442-7080.

I accidently called some guy's voicemail - did anyone else do this too? opps!!

You are absolutely correct, the Chef's number is actually 708-442-7080, this number will also work 708-442-7081. These are the numbers right off the business card. These are definitely the correct numbers.....sallyandjay, tiki-toa & family we got you guys covered, see ya Sunday!
mahalo,
xxooxx
D&C

[ Edited by: BambooLodge on 2004-08-10 21:24 ]

Their number is (708) 442-7078.

Whoever is at extension 7078 now has cryptic messages concerning some sort of tiki .... thing.

B

Doh! Doh! Doh! My mistake. You're right. Sorry for any confusion. Thanks for pointing out my faux pas. Did I already say doh?!

-Amy

The number is wrong on the posters also....this means that they are that much more collectible...so be sure to get there early and get yours.
Oops , we don't ever call ahead, and did not double check the number, and the staff at the Chef has yet to notice the mistake and we have had flyers there for over 2 weeks. We were there earlier tonite and were told that they are expecting a good crowd...so much for wrong numbers!
D&C

On 2004-08-10 21:28, SallyandJay wrote:

Their number is (708) 442-7078.

Whoever is at extension 7078 now has cryptic messages concerning some sort of tiki .... thing.

Just think how many calls he might well have received, considering we have circulated over 200 hundred flyers around Chicagoland! Bet he's thinkin' 'bout changin' that phone number right about now!!!
Sorry Dude!!!!
D&C

[ Edited by: bamboolodge on 2004-08-11 04:44 ]

On 2004-08-10 21:22, BambooLodge wrote:

tiki-toa & family we got you guys covered, see ya Sunday!
mahalo,
xxooxx
D&C

?? Uh-Oh I made reservations for 11:30, did you make some for me? Looking forward to seeing those I have not met and those I just saw! Oh D&C if possible can you please bring another one of the you know what's for me, the one that was for me is now for another, sorry to be so silly here, must be time for my nap. :)

Hey, how did you get reservations at 11:30am? They usually don't open till 12:00, you got some pull. Toa, send an email offline on the other thing.
See Ya Sunday,
D&C

[ Edited by: BambooLodge on 2004-08-12 08:15 ]

Yea!! Me and the wahine will be there! I am sooooo excited! My very first Tiki event and I get to meet you guys!! Oh can I have a poster set aside please!!!! I called today and made a reservation for 12pm.
I have never been there, but I heard that there was three rooms. Are we all going to be in one room?

Sounds good! I'll try my damndest to be there for a little while...Have to work in Evanston @ 2:00, but I'm dying to meet some of you guys!!!

T

All I wanna know is it Sunday yet? We need more tiki events around here in the mid-west!

Hi everyone! I made my reservations so EsQui and I will be there today. Can't wait to see everyone and I promise that I'll have pics of the Tiki Pa'ina event up soon. Promise!

Aloha,
Coalbe & I would like to thank everyone for the fabulous turnout today at Chef Shangr-La. It was great meeting so many wonderful new people, and of course seeing all the old familiar faces again. The entire staff of Chef Shangr-La would also like to thank everyone and extend an open invitation to stop back for a visit soon!
Mahalo,
D&C

E

Chef Shangri-la was yummy! Tiki decorations all over the place and a friendly staff. At first Lissette and I were too hungry to mingle much, and then we were too stuffed. It was nice to see all of you from Tiki Pai'na again. Sorry we didn't really talk to anyone else. We were so full and sleepy we went home and slept until dusk. But now that we've discovered Chef Shangri-la we plan on going back often.

EsQui

We had a great time. It was so nice to meet more people. We loved the food and everyone there was so nice. It was great to see everyone from the Tiki Pa'ina again. We can't wait to make it back to the Chef's sometime soon.

T

Well here is what I have to offer and
share, I actually wish I had more, I got in the basement and never left at the Bamboo Lodge and never got to see the rest of the house, and now that I think about it, I never even saw all of the basement. :) Chef's was FANTIKITASTIC! I cannot wait to do it again, and I hope for those
that could not join us this time you will be able to the next, as I will be bugging people (not that it will take much) to do this again very soon. The Witco's were unbelievable to see, the Chef is awesome, full of tiki to be seen and paintings, and the food was great. Bamboo lodge were great hosts and great people to meet and now say I know! Duke and Amy it was such a pleasure to meet you guys and Logan. There was so many people there! It was great to see those again from the Pa'ina! And I just realized that I never got to sign the book at the Lodge, ahhhhhhhhhhh! I felt like I was in tiki overload, and I barely got to see a 1/10th of the Lodge! Cannot wait to do it again soon.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAOW7Jy3bs2zog

Aloha, all! I'm so bummed I couldn't make it...Had to go in early..wedding for 200...put me in a blue funk all day...I wanted to see the tikis in the pics in person...Any posters left? Maybe I'll see you guys at Trader Vic's on Wed. night? Mahalo, Grey

Hey,Great pics Tiki-Toa, and many Mahalos for making the long haul down with the entire family. As far as future events at the Chef, we will be working with Susan and Paul to bring you all more Happy Tiki Times at the fabulous Chef Shangri-La. Again many Mahalos to everyone who came out!
D&C

B

We had a great time yesterday thanks to everyone who came out and the Vastas who worked with the Fongs at the Chef. It was a lot of fun catching up with folks we know and making new friends. As soon as we get the pictures set up we'll post some here.
-Duke and Amy

B

Here are a handful of photos from the Chef....

Mr. and Mrs. BambooLodge and Tressa

The Carters, Joe, and Dimethios

Doug and Lorrie

Mr. and Mrs. Dimethios

The Gands

Some of the Chef's Witco

Patrick, Duke, and Gary

Mrs. Chef Shangri-La, Sue Fong

Future TC'er Logan celebrates his first ITD!

-Amy

Damn i'm ugly! I need to lose like 75 pounds! Too much eating as a chef I guess!Anyway, I wanted to say that I had a blast first at the Chef, meeting everyone... Duke & Amy Carter, it was an honor to meet you both. (thanks for the autographed book!!) :) The Gand's, TikiToa, (very cool dude and wicked fez hat) and Bamboolodge! OMG Mr. & Mrs. Bamboolodge are the most gracious hosts and have a house to die for. Awesome bar and tiki collection, I was truly overwhelmed. Here are some pictures from the event. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeAOXLhsxcMWzgY&open=1&sm=1&sl=0 (I hope I did this right) :) I can't wait till the next event! We need to get together more than once a year!

Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks - Lin Yutang

[ Edited by: Dimethios on 2004-08-18 16:15 ]

Pages: 1 31 replies