Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

International Tiki Day in Seattle, 8/14

Pages: 1 30 replies

I'm going to be in Seattle for International Tiki Day... anyone interested in joining me in some way or another to celebrate our friend the Tiki? I'm going to be at a friend's wedding during the day, but I'm free in the evening. If nothing else, we can prank call the cell phones of all the Hoiti Toitis at the Lagoon Room.

S

YAY, Michelle is coming!!!
Actually, I'm going to a wedding that day too, but there is a lil tiki shindig goin on that night! It's being put on by a member here. Lemme go find some info and I'll let ya know. I'm sure you are more than invited! Hope to see ya!!!
Pea

D

hey! i think someone was throwing a party. but i cant for the life of me remember who.. gotta sort thru my mail and will let you know whats going on.. you can be my date!

otherwise, we can celebrate ITD any way you want.. whats your schedule like?

" i think someone was throwing a party. but i cant for the life of me remember who..."

Oh thanks! When i invited you all everyone said a mid-August Tupperware party was a great idea.

Actually I think it's maybe monkeyskull with a sorta Tiki bar debut or something.

I'm sure the party will be swell, but I think I'd rather do something that anyone can come to, rather than crash a private gathering.

I don't want to cannibalize the other party, maybe we can plan on meeting early/late enough for folks to do both. A meetup at Luau works well for me logistically.

By the way, I'm open to anything someone else plans. If I'm in town.

Yeah, it's me, novice Tiki Centralite monkeyskull, who is having a party Aug 14. The tikification of my place will be far from completed for this year and there will be a lot of my friends of modest tikosity there, but I'd love to have tiki centralites crash my party -- the more the better. (Either for a brief stop before trundling off to the Luau or to stay until the cops make them get a cab home.)

Tikitronic is bringing up one of his great carved signs for Pete's Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge (where Pete brilliantly employs the voodoo theme to bridge the gap between goth and tiki). Here's some more very important party infohere. And if you're interested in any updates on the event, whether you think you'll make it this time or not, drop me an email at and I'll add your address to the evite.

[ Edited by: monkeyskull on 2004-07-28 01:16 ]

Hi. I just want to renew my invite to any Seattle area Tiki Centralites to come by Pete's Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge this Saturday Aug 14.

The tikification of the voodoo lounge will not be complete by this year's party, but there will be alcohol, a few tiki people, a cool new tiki sign by TikiTronic, a few CDs compiled by Selector Lopaka playing, a couple banana trees and -- every few years -- one of my drunk friends falling into the koi pond. You can give me advice on the inchoate tiki room.

Details can still be found atwww.monkeyskull.net/party/

W

OUCH! I just opened an e-mail from the seemingly easy going monkeyskull and got a nasty slap on the wrist for not having replied to a previous "e-invite". Be warned people: Don't push monkeyskull's sense of etiquette. I'm wearin' a tie to this shindig, just in case.

H

Hi monkeyskull--thanks for the invite! I'll be sure to come by at least for a while. I may need to leave a bit early to get a chance to say hello to my non-tiki friends in Seattle.

Great to hear you'll make it Humuhumu -- I really hope to see as many Tiki Centralites as possible. (I can't believe Kirsten, of Roq la Rue and the NW Tiki Crawl, refuses to reschedule her wedding to another day to attend!)

Woofmutt, you know what the Mariners are doing this year -- what "seemingly easy going" Seattlelites are not a little testy?

P

Selector Lopaka and I will be there, thanks for the invite ! Looking forward to seeing TC folks, and glad that Humuhumu will be in town.

the wedding i'm going to first starts at 5, so I might not make it to the party till a bit later.
Humu, was there any verification of
going out for drinks anywere after the party?
Pea

The wedding I'm going to will prob. wrap up at about 5 or 6, and it turns out that another dear Seattle friend is having a party late that night, so I'll be at the swell monkeyskull soiree from about 7-9 or so. Whew! It's gonna be a busy weekend!

Can't wait to see everybody!

Humu, does the other friend throwin the party play in a surf band? If so, ya might see me there too!
hehhehehehehehe
wooohoooo
Can't wait to see ya!

Thank God polypop isn't in town, or my shorts
would end up on fire, I'd get thrown in jail, my wife would get slathered in whip cream and I would have to sniff a urine soaked dog while listening to a toothless guy play bongo's. Actually, I wish he was here....

Thanks TR --
I had a blast the last time I was in town. Can't wait to come back. Maybe your bar will be open then? If so, we'll have to come over with that toothless Jamaican guy and his urine soaked dog for another rendition of "Play that funky music" on his bongos!

D

Great party, Monkeyskull! what a great lounge you have.. and such wonderful friends! (hey, you didnt tell all of them about Tiki Central, but that's ok, i think we recruited Joe and Mary and their friends)please forward my email to Mary, as i want to crash her next party!

nice to finally meet Sweetpea and Puamana ~ and Tikitronic and Kim ~ and to visit again with The Tiki Rivieras, Woofmutt, Selector Lopaka.

This was our first celebration of International Tiki Day, and i'm already looking forward to next years' festivitites!

thanks again!!
elicia and her lovely husband Todd.

Ow, my monkey skull hurts! I had a little too much voodoo punch, but had a great time. Thanks to all the TCers who made it (in addition to those mentioned by dogbytes, Humuhumu and Exoticat came a little later -- am I forgeting anyone?).

As soon as I find where I left my digital camera I'll post pics of the cool carving Woofmutt gave me and the spectacular sign by Tikitronic. Thanks to Selector Lopaka for tunes and to others for the unnecessary but much appreciated tiki lounge warming gifts.

E

Thanks for the great party, Monkeyskull...it was really fun, and time just whizzed by!!

Monkeyskull definitely has a cool Voodoo-Tiki Lounge--perfect for a party--a must-see.

Glad I got the chance to mingle with some TC-ers again and meet some new people as well. Dogbytes...I really wanted to meet you but got busy with picture taking and filming--I still don't know who you are. Someone post a pic of Dogbytes, please!!

Yep, the beautiful and fun Humuhumu and I did make it...here's proof:

I will post more pics of everyone later! Thanks again, Monkeyskull. :)

E

One more for now:

Sweetpea (left) looks gorgeous in her vintage dress and shoes. On the right side is my friend Modkitty who has been to two NW Tiki events but isn't a TC-er. Gotta love her vintage tiki dress too...

W

The party was great. Before I went I thought I might spend an awkward hour there but as it turned out I was the next to last to leave. Great meeting so many TC peoples...At least 13 of us (including the misters and missuses and friends). monkeyskull's lounge has a weird but cool mix of goth and Tiki that actually works (though the giant pentagram curtain covering a mysterious back room is a liitle creepy). It's really swell when the sun has gone down and it's all moody and red inside and there's a low chanting coming from behind that curtain. (With all the extra booze left behind it might just make a great spot for a midwinter TC shindig...Hint hint.) Kudos to sweetpea who was well oiled on Voodoo Punch but started haulin' stuff in from the back yard after the guests had all gone and the host was just solid gone. She got me and tikitronic to help by giving us a stern look you'd just have been dumb to say no to. Which reminds me...monkeyskull...Where the heck do you keep your Saran wrap?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. we missed the infamous (more than fameous) humahuma! and exoticat.. argh...

todd and i were starvin (we're doing atkins, and wanted to stay non carb-y, and avoided all the yummy snackies at Monkeyskulls) so we left to find dinner. well, it was late, so we ended up being all carb-y anyways at some restaurant in the ID..

so hell. our diet was shot AND we missed out on the chanting and other late night festivities...

next time we're staying as late as woofmutt (or until the cops drag us out...)

elicia :)

This cracks me up...We're all online at the same time jabbering 'bout monkeyskull's shindig. Great pix. exoticoat, 'specially as I didn't make it into any of 'em!

Ah, bless you SweetPea and other tiki cleaning gods! I'll have to host another event if for no other reason than to fill me in on the part of the party erased from memory from by too much voodoo punch!

E

Dogbytes...darn! Sorry we didn't cross paths. Unfortunately I am in way too many photos above so at the next bash you can at least ID me and come up and do or say whatever. I probably won't wear the same outfit though (unless you reaaaaalllly like it). :wink:

Woofmutt...are you forgetting that I have you on my camcorder? Oh wait, no, that's Monkeyskull that has no memory of the latter hours of the evening. snerk. I guess I better email you that "something" that we discussed (I'd hate to make you mad and you know why!!)

Monkeyskull...shouldn't you be resting? I feel tired for you! And yes, people who help clean up after parties are the best, and don't forget the early arriving people who get put to work too!

S

Please have another monkey! We were so sorry to miss your swell par-tee, us being practically neighbors and all! A crazy summer, but fall might be a nice time to ease the seat back and drink a voo-doo to you! :) M&T

Holy Mackerel, that WAS some voodoo punch.
I'm suprised ya didn't find me sleepin next to the koi pond. heehee ( sorry if Humu and I traumatized any of the fishies!!!) hahahaah
Woof and Tiki Tronic, sorry I cracked that whip, but waking up to a huge mess is never fun, and Monkeyskull WAS nice enough to give us lotsa food and beverages. heheheheh.
The lounge was super keen, and I, along with Woof was a bit freaked out by the pentagram curtain...
I'm glad to finally meet the Dogbytes! And I'm glad the Seattle TC contingent all got together! Maybe now we will be tempted to get together more often.
Puamana and Selector, keep us posted on yer DJ nights! I work alot at night, but am always willing to try to come out when I'm off! Glad to see Miss Humu, I miss ya! And to finally meet the Rivieras! And Miss Exoticat who has posted entirely too many pictures of me. :) My ego is gettin BIG!
Howdy again to Miss Modkitty, I know she's not on here, but maybe someone can tell her howdy for me...
Okay, I dont' know how I remembered all this...
I do know I met a few other folks to, all very nice. Thanks again Monkeyskull, for the GREAT party!
Pea

Puamana and I also give thanks for the hella swella time we had at Monkeyskull's sweet abode on International Tiki Day. 'Twas great meeting the Tiki Rivieras, as well as hanging with other Jet City Mucky Muck TC Ohana. We're looking forward to future NW gatherings.

Finally catching up here - specific notes:

Monkeyskull - Great Party! Well worth the drive up, and we hope you do this again!
And thank you for being my first official 'patron of the arts' :)

WoofMutt - Greatly enjoyed the 'Bad Pool' - and I'm pretty sure we 'talked shop' but the details are - um - hazy. Damned good punch!

SweetPea - actually wanted to thank you for 'cracking the whip':) Sometimes, when caught slouching, it's nice to be reminded to be the people we'd like to be...

Good to meet and/or see everyone else.
And thank you for the Hawaii tips!

[ Edited by: Tikitronic on 2004-08-19 00:48 ]

Pages: 1 30 replies