Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Member - Can anyone tell me about this mug? Multitask post

Pages: 1 18 replies

Hello group - Long time lurker first time poster.
Got a pretty decient tiki fetish and an aging, growing tiki collection. Im in the So Cal area and attend a fair amount of events etc. You may hear from my girfriend here as well, as she has a tiki fetish almost as strong as mine - (even though she started my obsession.)
In addition to my intro, i also have a question for the knowledgeable experts of this forum. I was tiki shopping in New Orleans this past weekend and picked up a couple of tiki bob type mugs. I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about the unusual green and orange tiki bob type one i found. It looks like it was cast off of an original; of which i also found one from the Beachcomber on Lake Ponchetrain.

(im also testing my ability to post photos in this post.)
We're looking forward to adding constructive information and thoughts to this forum in the future.

Jon & Jenny

[ Edited by: MugSucker on 2004-07-27 20:41 ]

[ Edited by: MugSucker on 2004-07-27 20:49 ]

[ Edited by: Mugsucker on 2004-07-27 21:12 ]

heres some more photos of the two mugs i found.
I know youve all seen the NOLA version of the tiki bob.

Heres the side info

side of the orange n green mug

you can see that the colored one is smaller than the original Bobs. I would assume it was cast off of the Bob. Am i right? Any other info?

thanks again
jon

[ Edited by: MugSucker on 2004-07-27 21:18 ]

Also - Sorry if this is posted in the wrong discussion area.
Jon

Aloha Mugsucker, nothing but red x's so far, dying to see those pictures.

Go to the forum index and go to the "test" area to play around getting your msg right --

Go to FAQ and read about how to post pictures -- it's a little tricky --

Once you get your pic to "post," recommend you prob. try the "collecting tiki" section for your actual post --

We're all anxious to see your pictures -- there's, I don't know, oh about a million years' worth of collective wisdom here on mugs and all their many wonders --

Welcome!

T

On my mac for some reason all the pictures shows up broken.

Tahitiki

Everyone - sorry for my stumbles as i get my footing in this forum. Ive edited the post and think i have the picture embedding right.
Satan's SIn - thank you for your gentle guidence.
Its really nice to find a forum with people that are helpful and patient.
again
thanks for your patience
jon

H

Welcome to TikiCentral, MugSucker! (great name, btw)

You're doing the BBCode correctly, the reason the images aren't working is likely that the service you're using doesn't support the placement of images on other sites. If you look at the FAQ, there are instructions to help you get the photos up on Shutterfly.

http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#embed

Tahitiki --

I am a Mac user too (hooray!) --

Is your question "why are the ABOVE pictures in this string showing up as broken?"

Or is it: "the pictures I try to post show up broken?"

Above pictures show up broken on my Mac too -- and PCs too -- because they weren't set up properly.

Mrs. Satan's Sin refuses even the kindest of cocktail suggestions.

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin on 2004-07-27 21:10 ]

I think ive gotten it corrected now. Looks like ofoto wont let you link to their site.?
Satan's Sin - thank you again!!!
jon

[ Edited by: MugSucker on 2004-07-27 21:22 ]

I might just go out on a limb and say, you just might have an original prototype/template. there.
Either that or a shitty attempt. :)

D

ouch, my eyes!
hey, welcome aboard ~ glad you got the picture thing figured out (its easy, but not that easy)

DZ

I've been seeing the pix fine from the first time you posted them earlier in the day - Don't know why everyone else is havin' trouble...

The day-glo mug scares me!

Welcome Mudsucker, I am also a new member. It is so cool that your mugs showed up today. Last night my 30something son came over and was tell me about this site. I had or have the exact same mug (brown tiki) and my son was asking me if I still have it. I know I have it somewhere. Is there a tiki god that I can pray to for help location the mug?
The mug that you have is from the Bali Hai which was a popular rest and lounge. It was located on the runway across from the stage and it was built like a big hut. There was also a large ballroom in the back which was used for formal dining. Lots of school reunions were held there and lots of proms.
The out side of the hut was called the Beachcomber. When you walked past that place while strolling the runway the smell would lure you in. The mixture of bar b que and wonderful aroma of fried seafood was very tempting.
The beach closed in 1983 and along with that the Beachcomber and Bali hai. Seeing that mug sure brought me back to those wonderful summers I spent at the beach.
The daytime was spent on the white sand beach and the evening in the amusument park. When the beach closed it took with it a lot of history. I lived 12 blocks from the beach and spent 3/4 of my summer there with friends. Anyone who ever experenced a trip would validate what I am talking about. What a loss. The lake was polluted after that and swimming was a thing of the past.
There is a Save the Lake foundation which has been trying to clean up the lake. Success is right around the corner.
without the amusement park it just won't be the same.
Also, there is an annual Back to the Beach fest. It's just not the same.
Hope you enjoyed the small history lesson. Hold on to those mugs. The orange one does not look familiar.

[ Edited by: freeki tiki on 2004-07-29 23:52 ]

welcome freeki tiki,
hey what a cool little tiki history lesson, I've never been to that lake or that part of the country but now I feel like I have. No doubt those were the good old days!....wish someone out here could relate simillar stories about some of the long forgotten, southern california haunts in my neck of the woods. Hope you find that ol' mug!
T

Thanks freeki tiki! Ive always wondered about that place, (even though ive never been to Lake Ponchetrain.) I love New Orleans! We stopped in a new psudo-tiki bar on Decatur this past visit. Its truely disappointing. We asked for a Mai Tai and the bartender said "What's that?" They did have a new piece of tiki art on the wall though that i wish i had taken a picture of; it was really well done. We're thinking of buying a house in the Marigny to split our time between Los Angeles and New Orleans; we just cant get enough.
Thanks again for the history!
Jon

S

There is nothing left of Ponchartrain Beach (tiki or amusement) othe than the beach itself. Which they are supposed to reopen at some point. I beleiev part odf it was sold to The University of New Orleans.

For one year only the Bali Ha'i was known as "Don the Beachcomber" and there are tiki bob style mugs floating around with that logo.

In a suburb (park) of New Orleans, Kenner near the airport, next to the Kenner city hall is the A-frame structure of the Bali Ha'i and the top of the wooden roller coaster "The Zephyr"....

Hmmmmmmmm...

The basic mug shape in question here is an example of one a true 50's Standard having originated from Tiki Bob's in San Fransisco (BOT pages 44-53). The Crazy Colored one looks, to me at least, like Homemade Tiki (TQ pages 61 and 62). I've never seen that particular shape in a homemade example but that doesn't mean that it's not possible. To be honest, I can't imagine how else one could have ended up so, well, interestingly adorned.

M

I have a homemade version of Tiki Bob, so there must have been a craft mold at some time.

Pages: 1 18 replies