Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Redneck Arizona tiki vacation

Pages: 1 6 replies

How can a simple trip to arizona to see tombstone, old Tucson and Bisby go tiki?, by simple accident of course!.While returning from tombstone with my wife, I got off the 10 frwy to show her where my granny lived and I spent many a summer. I was traveling down Broadway when I spotted a sign that said "Kon Tiki" on it and I hit the brakes and turned right mighty fast!. After parking , we walked up to a semi-plain looking entrance with some older looking tikis out front and then I remembered the tiki bar review of this place.We went inside and all that I could do is gasp!.This place was bad-ass to the bone!. It was about 3pm and the place was already half full on a friday!.We ordered drinks and shrimp cocktail and just looked around in disbelief at how cool this place is!.After the drink,
I begged the wife to spend the night in Tucson so we could come back for dinner. I got the nod and we came back at 8pm and the joint was jumping!!. Diners get seated away from the twenty somethings that made up 70% of the drinkers (many super fine gals!!), so we could enjoy ourselves. Dinner was great, and the drinks were pretty decent.I met the manager and asked him about future plans.He is a young guy with his head on straight!.I got so jazzed up from this, when we were going home I decided to stop in palm springs and stay at that tropics place!. I saw pics of all the heavy hitters at TC as I walked in and just smiled!.I will be coming back to this place many a time!.You have been warned!. Peace. TWT

Twowheelin,
Glad to know your still kickin!

Thank you sir!, tis good to be back!.

twowheelin'tiki wrote:

I was traveling down Broadway...

Did you catch the Wishbone Chicken sign just across Swan from Kon Tiki thats made up of jagged "explosion" profiles which flash concentrically inward till it strobes an explosion in the middle?

After the drink,
I begged the wife to spend the night in Tucson so we could come back for dinner.

After several more drinks she might consent to stay under a neon tiki: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2397&forum=1

You could shop under the eyes of Hawaiian tikis:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9362&forum=2&2

...and climb a moai:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1325&forum=1

Tucson ain't bad for tiki.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-07-28 01:02 ]

Cool info!. What kills me is all those summers I spent at the 7-11 playing tron and making hot laps around davis mothan air base when I could have been getting lit at the Kon -tiki back in the day!!. Very cool stuff in tucson when you have local knowledge!!!!!

Tikijackalope, way to bring it, Tuscon tiki style!

Well, it has been a while since I stepped in to Tucson for a little tiki action, but I was well rewarded by an amazing friday night dinner and drinks once again.There was barely room to sit in the main area, but us diners have an elevated area for proper viewing of the goings on and all the cool decore.The food was really good, even the wife who is real picky, loved it. The drinks were damn good and the service was top notch, WAY better than most any place within 50 miles of us here on the west side. I know for some it seem far, but it is so worth going. Just tell then Erich from L.A.sent ya!.Mahalo y'all.

Pages: 1 6 replies