Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki mold???

Pages: 1 12 replies

TT

Has anyone ever made molds from cement?
I was wondering if my idea would work.
I bought this Tiki Wall Decoration (link)

http://www.ronjons.com/rjss/catalog/large/96591552.jpg

I was thinking of fill the hollow back side with cement, to make a mold.
I was wondering if it can be done or has anyone else has done it?

Tiki Troy,

The Baxdog has poured lots of cement tikis to decorate his patio, using molds much like yours. See this thread on casting plaster tikis - he gives his methods for cement tikis near the bottom of the thread. Good luck!

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3789&forum=1

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-07-28 15:46 ]

TT

Sabu The Coconut Boy

Thanks for your help!

Mahalo!

B

On 2004-07-28 15:46, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
See this thread on casting plaster tikis -

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3789&forum=1

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-07-28 15:46 ]

Wow, my first casting, just over a year ago! And now, here I am, 1/2 a ton of plaster later.........

i made a couple of cement tikis using the
identical wall hanging as a mold. i used
quickrete from the local building supply
store. i would recommend bracing the
mold so it withstands the pressure of the
cement....i put mind in a little sandpit
and supported the mold on all sides with
sand and rocks. you will notice that
the plastic isn't strong enough to retain
the shape without some using some form around
it. it works great!

This is funny, because I was just this morning thinking about posting a question - "How can you make concrete molds from your hand carved tikis?"

I checked out Sabu's link, but unfortunately the pics were "temporarily unavailable". Bummer - 'cause I really wanted to check them out.

Okay, this is great if you have a mold that you bought on e-bay or a wall hanging from Wal-mart. But I'd much rather make an original mold from one of my tikis. Then I could mass produce them & hand some out to all of my friends that have been bugging me to carve them a tiki. Everybody wants one, but no one realizes how much time it takes (at least for me) to carve them! This would be a great solution, and help to spread the tikis.

So, does anyone know how to fabricate a concrete mold from scratch?

• Aaron

I have poured that exact mold several times.
This mold is very weak in the neck area.
You must make sure that you fill it up all the way to overfill.
Don't foreget the hanging wire as it dries.
Use no gypsum based products at all.
Most of the info in the thread Sabu has mentioned is still good.
I will, and you should always use casting plaster.
Mix it wet, ten min. add hanger wire, ten more min. hang it on the wall.
Pour it white, let dry 3 days, color and hang.
Either cement stains or my Wife used wood stains.
Use silicone or dish soap or almost anything slippery to coat the mold and you can use it many times.
If you don't want to pour the positive mold holder, then the sand around it will work.
It's just harder to deal with.
If you use any kind of cement product that kinda mixes stiff then you need to vibrate it a little to get the bubbles out.
I have also found molds for TIKI at Party supply houses.
I am sad, because I have not poured a TIKI in over two years.
Maybe when I retire.
Have fun, and remember, pouring TIKIS can lead to drug use and over use of Rum type products.

TT

Mahalo! Everybody.

My only last question is this?

So did you cover the holes from were the original string went through, with tape on the outside?

Does this mold stand up on its own after its done?

[ Edited by: TIKI TROY on 2004-07-29 18:11 ]

That was two last questions.
The anwers are
YES
MAYBE

1. If you duct tape the top and bottom of your mold it will probably last a little longer anyway.

2.The base on that mold is not all that thick and it's head is almost as big as Bong's.
Now if you use casting plaster you could pull the product out at the 20 min. mark and shave the bottom with a sharp object (Bong's teeth)Chisel, scaper, or sidewalk?

1. I hear that bleach will get rid of that TIKI mold problem right away.
  1. [I hear that bleach will get rid of that TIKI mold problem right away.
    Is the bleach use to help scrape the bottom so it will possibly stand?]

2. The bleach was a joke, you know "MOLD" like in your grout in your shower HA fricken HA

[So you wouldn't advice using cement for casting?]

2.I have used cement, fast dry cement, pour stone, pour rock, drywall products, I have added my own silica sand, I have put fiber to help stop cracking, I have mixed in packing peanuts to lighten them up.
You know all those stupid statues that the Mexicans try to sell you as you cross the border CASTING PLASTER that is what it is made for.
But you can use what ever you want/I did

[So how sharp did the details turn out?]

1. With casting plaster, perfect
    But if you find more molds that have areas that are inverted, then it is really hard to pull the mold off. I filled in inverted spots with silicone caulking.

[Isn't plaster easily damaged and crack very easy?]

1. refer to question #2

[One more thing, could you go into detail how you made a frame to support it, while pouring especially the neck area?]

1. I took 2x4s and made a rectangular frame, about 3 to 5 inches bigger than the mold. I put plastic on some carpet pad, then put the frame on top of the plastic. now the trick is that everything wants to float. So now you put the mold, with the outside facing up.
    Now I put another 2x4 across the top and put wood wedges to hold the mold tight to the plastic. Now you just fill the frame with casting plaster. When it dries you pull all the drywall screws out of the frame so it falls apart,turn it over, pull the mold out.
    Now you have what I call a positive, so every time you pour you put the mold in the positive and it holds it perfectly. You should also cover the positive with diesel oil so the mold comes out easier and the other casting plaster will not stick to it and make bumps.
    By the way casting plaster mixes in a 5 gallon bucket with a drill and large mixing paddle. It's so simple.

Now if you don't send me one of your creations after all this,

May your rum make you dumb
and may a TIKI fly up your bum
The bottom of your shoes, you find gum
You end up living in a slum
A large ache you will have in your tum
Your skin turns the shade of a plum
Everyday will be more and more glum
And when you have sex you won't be able to
ENJOY YOURSELF!!

Now "do the right thing"

When this stops being fun
It's our fault
Have no brakes Cannot stop
Happydog (What can I do?)

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2004-07-31 08:47 ]

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:02 ]

I’ve done several castings using the tiki wall decorations as molds. I use duct tape to cover the string holes and then make a cardboard box the slightly larger than the tiki. I fill the box 4-6 inches with sand and gently work the mold into it “face first”. The sand supports the mold while I add the plaster. I then spay the inside of the mold the silicone spray (from the hardware store) and add the plaster. I use a bent coathanger wire as the wire to hang it up. Allow to dry for 2 days, remove from mold and wait 2 or more days to paint. When you remove it from the mold plaster will be off white, as it dries it becomes whiter. When it is super white and sounds dry when you tap it he is ready to paint. Do not rush and paint a wet casting. It won’t be pretty.

Good luck. I will try to post pix of the ones I did.

TT

Now if you don't send me one of your creations after all this,

May your rum make you dumb-To late for that!!!

The bottom of your shoes, you find gum
You end up living in a slum -
I also cover this topic too!!!
A large ache you will have in your tum- Been there, done it!!!

Everyday will be more and more glum-
Trust me it can't get any worst!!!

And when you have sex you won't be able to
ENJOY YOURSELF!!
Won't work, I have a very powerful Tiki in my pants!!!

As for doing the right thing....
I think the master should send me one of his,so I can see if I done it right!!! :lol:

Cheer's :drink:

Pages: 1 12 replies