Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Sorta On-Topic..."Witch Doctor"

Pages: 1 26 replies

B

Here's a metal panel I pinstriped. Not really "tiki" but it's kinda walkin the line, so I thought I would post it. Hope that it's alright with ya'll....

I think that looks tiki, I also think it's very cool. I never tried pin stripping. It just looks like it would take to much patience. Something I dont have!

Awesome job!

Cool!
Tiki in my mind for sure.
I've always loved the bone through the nose thing.

Has anyone ever seen a boar tusk made for present day piercings? My soon-to-be hubby has that hole and would like one.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-07-29 16:55 ]

T

Barnett you really need to post more of your stuff, I love your stuff, your on the list man, well....my list of artists to get work done by. :)

B

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate the good words. I might get another striped tiki-type-face done in the next day or 2...I'll post it on this thread if I do.

That is very cool, Barnett. I like the all-pinstriped style you use - very "Dutch-ish". Keep posting!

B

Thanks, Sam. Kenneth Howard (I hate to use the other name, now that fashion and "politics" are involved with it), Dean Jeffries, Ed Roth, Larry Watson...all those guys, and more, are HUGE inspiration to me. It's hard enough to emmulate them, just imagine BEING them and INVENTING this sort of stuff!!

On 2004-07-30 00:02, BARNETT wrote:
Thanks, Sam. Kenneth Howard (I hate to use the other name, now that fashion and "politics" are involved with it), Dean Jeffries, Ed Roth, Larry Watson...all those guys, and more, are HUGE inspiration to me. It's hard enough to emmulate them, just imagine BEING them and INVENTING this sort of stuff!!

Have you ever heard of Dick Dean? He was in Detroit for a while in the mid '50s but went to California later to work with Barris I believe. He striped my father's first car back then, and that's what influence him to start pinstriping. My father's been striping since '56, and he's still at it.

B

Sam...the name Dick Dean is real familiar, but I'm having a hard time picturing his work. I'll have to dig out my "little pages". I would love to see some of your Dad's work...got any pics?!

T

On 2004-07-30 13:49, BARNETT wrote:
I would love to see some of your Dad's work...got any pics?!

I was thinking the same thing, wondering how far the apple fell from the tree?

B

Barnett, this is as tiki as you can get. Quit holding back show us the stuff we know you have..

I'll have to scan some. My dad's old custom '55 Chevy was just on the cover of the May or June issue of Northern Rodder magazine. He doesn't own it now, but it talks about him in the article because he pinstriped it and helped build it. He also just told me that he was asked to speak at the "Pinheads" Meet in Detroit in August ("Pinheads" is a nationwide organization of pinstripers which meets regularly across the country). When I was growing up, he would always be striping those semi trucks back when drivers wanted gold leaf and 15 different colors of striping on them. He would turn those trucks into works of art. I remember him pinstriping everthing from show cars to Harleys to bicycles. When I got my first guitar at 10 years old, I was the only kid at guitar lessons who showed up with a classical guitar that was wildly pinstriped in 3 colors. I didn't think much of it then, but I sure wish I still had that thing!

Here's one of his panels for Mack Brush Company. He's retired now, but I could never imagine him giving it up totally.

http://www.samgambino.com

T

now we see where the talent comes from sam!

B

Sam, your Dad's stuff is GREAT! Thanks for posting it.

Benzart...thanks for the invvite to post. I really don't have any tiki stuff to match the caliber of work floating around this site, but I'll be happy to hurt ya'lls eyes with what I do have. :)

Here's a mini bike seat I did....

Some little wooden purse-boxes...

MDO cut out (sorry about the drawing board backgground)....

Toilet seat...

http://photo.starblvd.net/BarnettSigns

[ Edited by: BARNETT on 2004-07-30 18:53 ]

[ Edited by: BARNETT on 2004-07-30 18:55 ]

[ Edited by: BARNETT on 2004-07-30 18:59 ]

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:01 ]

Barnett now I really know you have been holding out after seeing these newest pics. And please, never think that your stuff has no place here, you have a unique style and it is great to see how you use it to do tiki. Keep em coming man! And yeah by the way how much do you charge for those purses?

On 2004-07-30 14:52, Sam Gambino wrote:

Kinda looks like a shrunken head me thinks. Very cool work indeed.

Sam to bad about losing the guitar, I bet it was cool. Your pop is quite an artist. Looks like he taught you well. You are definately worthy of carrying the torch.

Barnett, Dude! all of your work is
AWESOME and full on tiki. Dig the style and the colors. keep em comin!

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-07-30 22:35 ]

Thanks, Chongo and Barnett. I'm also going to let my dad know that I posted his panel and that you guys liked it. He gets a kick out of knowing that the generation younger than his own is into pinstriping and custom culture art.

Barnett, that stuff you just posted is simply killer, and I'm wondering why you hadn't posted it sooner too. Look there, it looks like you've already made some potential sales from it! Keep posting - I'm liking this whole thread!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-07-31 00:11 ]

M

Barnett,

Very cool stuff. I especially dig that toilet seat.

B

TNTiki & Tiki Toa...let me ddig out the price list and I'll post a quote on those purse-thingies. Sorry for taking a while to reply, I had an outta town visitor stop by so I had to do the good host thing and show him some cool cars and stuff in the nieghborhood. Anyways, thanks again for the good words!

Here's a couple of 'flaked panels I may or may not have posted here before....

http://photo.starblvd.net/BarnettSigns

[ Edited by: BARNETT on 2004-07-31 00:48 ]

B

O.k.....here's the last tiki-themed thing I have in my files...I can almost hear the collective sigh of relief from here! :wink:

Inside the purses...fun fur and a mirror. Also...they're lettered on the backs and have stuff painted on the sides, as well. $50, Stateside shipping included. Sorry for the spam, but ya'll asked! Since each one is done to order, at the moment, just give me an idea of what you want on the box and I'll try to get something close to it [email protected], sorry for the spam.

B

Excellent stuff Barnett. This will teach you not to hold back. This thread has brought out some Fantastic stuff. I mean just Look at it. New commer Barnett And a look into Sams history. We see where his talent came from for sure.Sam If you had just posted the pic and not said who did it, we would have thunk you did.
HappyHappyHappy

Thanks, Ben. That's a high compliment, because I feel that my dad can pinstripe circles around me!!

C

sick stuff as always from you guys, the Toilet seat is way cool, dig that style....
am i the only one that saw a praying mantis from Sam's fathers peice?? keep it coming !!!
and if you listen carefully i can hear Sams shrunken head quietly saying " buy me buy me!"
and my truck payment saying "YOU WISH!!"

Thanks, cabinguy! I appreciate the kind words. Also, my motto with shrunken heads is "the sicker and uglier, the better!" :)

C

just started a headhunter/shrunken head painting ill drop a pic on here asap..

Pages: 1 26 replies