Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Marquesas(Painters and Carvers add Marquesas art)

Pages: 1 12 replies

The shrunken head and moai worked out so well. So lets start another!

Marquesas

NN2

here's one I did a while back

B

Nice stuff so far. PJ, I have never seen your work til now..Outstanding
I only have done 1 marc

Hard Black wood difficult to photograf

T

Great stuff! Flounder, is the bottom painting a harder style of piece to do? I love the look of those, I know you have some others in the same style on your site. I think I was talking to Tikiwahine and we both were wondering how long does it take to do a mug painting? Or maybe better question would be from making the burlap canvas to finish how much work to you end up putting in. I am interested to know because I want to believe that more work goes on than a lot realize not just in your work but a lot of artists.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Jul 30, 2004 7:16 PM

In order to inject a bit of levity into this thread...behold! My second tiki creation! An old basic chalkware type table lamp, a dremel and a can of paint = marquesan lamp guy!

I did this months ago, before the TJ Maxx glass decanter to lamp craze. This piece introduced me to the psychoactive properties of lamp dust and the importance of wearing a face mask when using the dremel. He's the first and last of his kind.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:02 ]

I haven't done any of these babies, but the work here is FINE! I've never seen a lot of it - another crazy thread yet by the Flounder-man!

F
foamy posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2004 8:22 AM

Purple Jade, I was having fun with that stuff – 'til I saw your work. You're way good with it. That clay stuff (whatever it's called), how do you keep it from burning? Mine always come out semi-fried.

Foamy~
Either your temp is too high, or you're baking it for too long. (Duh, how's that for stating the obvious? Let me try again...) Are you using a regular oven or a toaster oven? Toaster ovens put the heating element closer so you have to watch it closer and adjust the temp. Are you using one with a thermostat? Also depends on the brand and such. Bulk white Sculpey will burn to a pink and then purple color if baked too long or too hot. I have a table of brands, temps and times somewhere, I'll look it up for you.
And remember to have proper ventilation, it does fume, and it raises the risk of toxicity if it burns.

And thank you!

-Z

Pages: 1 12 replies