Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki in my local paper

Pages: 1 4 replies

Al of sudden there is Tiki everywhere in South Florida it seems. Went to target yesterday, Tiki everywhere as you all know, I had no idea how much. My local paper(South Florida Sun Sentinel) carried a pretty good article couple pages long on current Tiki culture. Kern's (Mai Kai's Manager) personal Tiki room on front page of Lifestyle section, and a Leroy Schmaltz Tiki. Good article about Leroy and a larger general article about Tiki including a prominent mention of our own room http://www.tikicentral.com "if you want one stop shopping for everything Tiki, this is it. The site includes info on music, books, drinks and games as well as chats". An interesting sidebar on buying quality bamboo. Good articles by C.V. Schaub with only 1 possible annoying mistake, labeling what seems to be a Palm Tiki "5 foot bamboo tiki pole" Not sure how they glossed over such great local artists like Benzart, Flounder and Higi:-) but otherwise a pretty good article for mainstream.

T

From the online articles it looked liked they also missed on of their own, Wayne & Mai Tiki!

Yeah, it is pretty bizarre to see a solid presence of tiki down here in South Florida. I've recently run across some stuff in some very odd places (gas stations, party stores, banks, etc).

Is is just that the Great Unwashed masses associate tiki with summer? I would hate to think of the recent attention as this year's summer merchandising trend.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki on 2004-07-30 23:24 ]

On 2004-07-30 23:05, I dream of tiki wrote:
Is is just that the Great Unwashed masses associate tiki with summer? I would hate to think of it a this year's summer merchandising trend.

Not even remotely possible...tiki is here to stay!

In regards leaving out some major factors, I think it may be less about overlooking and more to do with the word count limit on the article. A friend of mine, who just started to do freelance articles, is having a bear of a time adhering to those restrictions.

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki on 2004-07-30 23:34 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies