Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Scary "tiki" stuff in Milwaukee, Wisconsin...

Pages: 1 11 replies

I saw this in a local independent newspaper...

I don't know whether to be curious or run away scared...
I think run away...

Milwaukee just doesn't get it... the whole theme of something I mean...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a "Cantina" the wrong word to use with "Tiki?"

I think I may hunt this out in the morning... maybe I can make a few bucks off them...

Still... I'm scared...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-08-01 01:15 ]

At least get her phone number. :)

Rolls off the tongue like ... "Hitler's synagogue" ...

Yeah,Lake Surfer more less there just using the word Tiki and proably have nothing to do with the whole Hawaiian/Polynesian culture!

:tiki: :drink:

T

I guess this is what is known as a fine exaple of the word OXYMORONIC.
"A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist."
Or in this case TIKI + CANTINA=OXYMORONIC

Drove around the 5th Ward area this morning and came across a site that looks to be this place under construction. It is next to a trendy niteclub. This "Cantina" is billed as "Milwaukee's First Patio Bar." Which means in Milwaukee it will be open 5 months out of the year... the rest is winter.

Anyway, its a large open space right now with a 3 foot wall around it, a wood shelter that is up (much like you would see at a tropical resort over a bar) with no roof yet... waiting to see if that might be thatch which won't survive the first winter

Behind all that is a wall made of stacked limestone... nothing tropical looking as of yet. There were two workers doing something and they kept glaring at me so I drove off.

This looks like it will either be some sort of "Buffet Tiki" theme thing (Margarittaville) or be a half assed attempt at a tropical theme bar...

I'm going to try and get in touch with the niteclub next store to see if they are involved or know anything...

Please, if someone is going to use tiki in the city of Milwaukee, do it right... or maybe I'm being too much of a purist?

Nice 'TIKIS'!!! I haven't seen THOSE on ebay!

If the fonts (sorry) and imagery are any indication, it looks like they're going for the Ibiza vibe. Which in its' own right is cool, but as culturally and geographically as far away from Tiki as bingo night in Norway. Procede with caution.

-Z

Funny you bring up the fonts FZ...
As I looked over the ad again and thought about the club next door to the site (Rain) I realized that the fonts and same ad layout (including a well endowed woman) have been used many times in the past for Rain's ads.

I placed a call to the voicemail of Rain's General Manager regarding the property next door...

On the trail to solving the "Tiki Cantina" mystery...

More to come...

Fine...so they're confused...but I'd be checkin' out the 'cantinas' on this one, for sure, ja?! See now, I'm all confused too. I think I'll open up So Cal's first Igloo Cantina and get a pair of those 'cantinas' on the playbill!! Real tiki on ice...so nice! Was there a theme somewhere??? Oh yea, booze and broads (no offense intended)...same ol' SAFE marketing approach.

I have had people think I've said "tittie bar" when I said "tiki bar." maybe this also happened here to the guy who made the posters.

also, some people hear "topless bar" when I say "tapas bar."

maybe I talk funny.

or maybe it's intentional.

Z

Hmm, Milwaukee and patio bar...at last!

Will they have a strolling timpani drum player? They'd be the first.
If it goes bust, maybe they could open the topless tapas bar. No pun intended.
After getting funny looks from saying, "tapas", I find myself pronouncing it like someone impersonating an American.

Pages: 1 11 replies