Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New England Trip Plan~Oct 2-16

Pages: 1 3 replies

D

We’re heading northeast to see The Colors ~ and I’m trying to fit in as much quality tiki sites as possible!
If you’ve been somewhere lately, could you please Critiki the venue? (hint to Selector Lopaka :wink: )

I’ve been checking old threads, TRT and cross checking on Critiki (and also Roadside America). The basic plan is to fly into Boston (Bali Hai and Kowloon),Vermont (Kahiki Moon) up to Quebec Canada (Coconut Inn and Jardin Tiki)

Any other recommendations? (Tiki or non-tiki) We’re big on Road Food, unusual museums, festivals, antique shopping. Any really special B&Bs in New England? The only cities I know we’ll stay in are Boston and Burlington, the rest of the trip is incredibly flexible, we have no friends/family to visit ~ so any meet ups with TikiCentralites is welcome!

elicia

Keep us posted... we'll see you at the Jardin Tiki!

We had a wonderful trip to New England. Besides doing the normal tourist things (Leaf Peeping, museums, eating regional food) we sought out Tiki things and went to thrift stores and antique malls.

Spent 4 days in Boston. Ate at Kowloon

and Bali Hai

Had the "Flaming Ambrosia" at both. I love food on fire. Found a lidded pineapple mug for 99 cents at a Salvation Army Store (also a painting of a dog, on velvet)

We made a "find" ~ Hawaiian Isle II in Concord, NH.

During our stay in Vermont, we drove back to Massachusetts to have dinner with Tikigreg, his wife Kathleen and Stentiki at HuKeLau. I had so much fun, that I forgot to take pictures! I loved the floorshow ~ the MC was the Polynesian Wayne Newton.

We ate three times at Kahiki Moon and got to hang out with Primo Kimo and his wahine ** Bridget**. Found a tiki pendant at a flea market, which only cost 75 cents. But if I factor in the $14 we spent on admission to a different antique fair, well. I guess it wasn't quite such a bargain. But i think it may very well be the only moai found in the wild in Vermont!

We made a visit to Jardin Tikiin Montreal, and survived the food. We had extra time (since we thought the Coconut Inn was nearby ~ and it wasn't), I used my GPS to find
Tiki Sun Polynesian Restaurant in Lonqueuil, Quebec.
It's now a Buddhist Temple ~ the building still has much of the woodwork, but none of the tiki.

Our urban archeology trip in Maine was fruitless; the Polynesian Village (152 Main St, Westbrook, ME) has been torn down, and has been replaced by the finance office for a used car lot.

We stopped in Portsmouth NH, hoping to see King Tiki, but its being totally gutted and will reopen as a pub.

It was great putting faces to Tiki Central names ~ i think all our vacations have been better since we travel with TRT and our friends from the internet!

elicia

Ps: tried googling "flaming ambrosia" hoping to find that dish closer to home, but it looks to be a regional specialty in the North East.. but there is a place that looks promising (hint to Stentiki and Tikigreg)

its listed in TRT, but the website makes it look more promising than just a chinese restaurant, drinks look cheap too!

Tahiti Restaurant
22 Jade Lane
Dedham, MA 02026
Phone: 781-329-2575
Alt. Phone: 781-329-0145
Fax: 781-329-2071
http://www.tahitirestaurant.com/door/

edited to reflect Primo Kimo's girlfriend's actual name, Bridget ~ sheesh i shouldn't drink and try to remember names!

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2004-10-31 12:26 ]

S

dogbytes,

I enjoyed the log of your trip. And I thought I covered a lot of ground! You two get the TRT of the year award! I'll have to make of point of visiting Tahiti next time I'm on Boston. I actually visit schools in Dedham but I've never seen this restaurant. Thanks for the tip.

It was great meeting you two. Thanks again for driving all the way down to Chicopee.

Good times!

Pages: 1 3 replies