Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Syd Mead's "Projections" book on ebay

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

This is not my auction - if I owned this book I would never sell it. For those that don't know, these US Steel books (the other is "Concepts") were commissioned by US Steel in the early 60s to showcase how great steel was and how it could be used in all our hover cars and streamlined tractors of the future.

The great designer/illustrator/futurist Syd Mead was fresh out of school when he produced the artwork for these. My understanding is that only a small number were ever printed and were intended for USS shareholders. They are extremely rare and don't often appear on ebay.

The "Concepts" book just appeared on ebay last week and did not sell with an opening bid of $250. This one is only slightly more reasonably priced at $239. I only wish I could afford them. Maybe one of you can.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=6915707368&rd=1

Dang, my wife (industrial designer & Mead fanatic) has a birthday in a week. Too much coin for me though. :(

-Z

Tiki-Bot,

This issue of Trailer Life is also up on E-bay right now. Thought you might be interested. Similar artist?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=126&item=2260125240&rd=1

Sabu

UB

Small world Sabu.
I subscribe to White Trash Trailer Life.

T

Sure looks like his stuff. I've never seen this particular image, but he did hundreds of editorial illustrations in the 60s, so it seems likely.

The vehicle design is very similar to a luxury van he did for Playboy magazine in the 70s. I tried to find the image online, but no luck. Here's one with his signature style and color pallette from around the same time:

A

This might be the van you referred to, Bot.

-Randy

T

That's the one!

JD: I saw that show and there's some great stuff there. Lots of it has already been in print, but there were a few I hadn't seen, like the ground effects vehicles:

Zaz!

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2004-08-10 02:09 ]

HL

It's the El Camino of the future!

Pages: 1 8 replies